The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 December 2022, 12:36 PM   #31
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0424 View Post
I know the watch I want and I have made my mind up.
What I am doing here is posting some pieces that I’ve ran across to get some folks opinions.
Like you said..it’s best to get these guys blessing before I buy.
I’ve been a sub guy all of my life..And I won’t ever be anything other than that.

At the end..Take a look at the recent photo I posted. What about that piece is incorrect? Wrong bezel? Wrong dial? Wrong hands?.
A quick look at your latest photo posted does not completely fit the desirable look of a period correct 1680 Sub to me because of the newer blue faded flat 4 bezel, the Sec/Hr/Min hand colors don’t match each other and are not within a couple color shades of the dial lume color, and the dial lume looks a bit suspicious IMO.
Quote:
I believe the piece I ran across is a 77 or 78 White sub.
Wanted to shoot a photo over to you so you could see..
I appreciate any feedback as this may be my first vintage piece.
Which model Submariner is it you are actually looking for and what is your budget?
Is it the mid to late 70’s 1680 (660ft) or an early or late 16800 (1000ft) date with or without papers?
There are specific nuances to all of them and it is best to learn those nuances first before a disaster strikes.
This example that was posted above looks like an earlier 16800 than your original 16800 posted that had lume plot borders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipão View Post
OP, this is what always here from down under is referring to.

;-)

Nicer but obviously dearer.

Take your time. Rushing is buyer's worst enemy. I can tell you that...
Old 15 December 2022, 12:48 PM   #32
King0424
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY.. View Post
A quick look at your latest photo posted does not completely fit the desirable look of a period correct 1680 Sub to me because of the newer blue faded flat 4 bezel, the Sec/Hr/Min hand colors don’t match each other and are not within a couple color shades of the dial lume color, and the dial lume looks a bit suspicious IMO.

Which model Submariner is it you are actually looking for and what is your budget?
Is it the mid to late 70’s 1680 (660ft) or an early 16800 (1000ft) date with or without papers?
There are specific nuances to both watches and it is best to learn all of them them first before a disaster strikes.
This example that was posted above looks like a 16800.

This was the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thank you!
Budget is ~$13k
I did catch the hands..but I wasn’t sure about how they aged. Is the material on the S/H/M hands the same material that’s on the lume of the dial?
The individual that has a few of these pieces I’m interested says this watch came from a one owner. No box or papers. Asking 13k.
Id love to have a vintage piece. 1680. 16800. Or a 168000.
I do not like the 16610s or newer. I have tried on and worn many watches and I just don’t like anything that’s new and shiny.

The 16800 that was posted is a beautiful example of a piece that I’d be interested in..After researching the posts that I’ve looked up and that were provided for me. That 16800 looks to be a perfect Example.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the feedback.
King0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 12:57 PM   #33
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I agree with @KY..'s concerns about that 1680, it may be cheap for a reason. TBH, $13k is a tight budget for a good 1680 with bracelet these days, unless you are both extremely knowledgeable and patient, and therefore able to identify diamonds in the rough in obscure places. Just be aware that you are bottom-fishing, so the vast majority of the watches you look at in that price range will have problems.
Old 15 December 2022, 01:05 PM   #34
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Opinions on a Few Pieces?

Quote:
Id love to have a vintage piece. 1680. 16800. Or a 168000.
I do not like the 16610s or newer.
I’m confused….?

Something fishy.

Who here refers to anything 6 digit as vintage? Especially if they know all these nuances of vintage but then state they’d want a 6 digit and then contradict themselves by saying they want nothing newer than a five digit.

I hope I’m wrong but too much BS around here lately for me to jump on board quickly.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2022, 01:50 PM   #35
King0424
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I’m confused….?

Something fishy.

Who here refers to anything 6 digit as vintage? Especially if they know all these nuances of vintage but then state they’d want a 6 digit and then contradict themselves by saying they want nothing newer than a five digit.

I hope I’m wrong but too much BS around here lately for me to jump on board quickly.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
Hahahahaha. 168000 is a vintage piece. 88-89.
Old 15 December 2022, 02:12 PM   #36
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Opinions on a Few Pieces?

Slow down, As I said one pic of a watch isn’t going to work. I gave you the blueprints. Learn from others mistakes.

That watch doesn’t look good from the one bad photo. It’s not even worth commenting on. Something is up with the lume. Insert doenst look right.

I mean this in the nicest way, if your going to not spend the money to get a good example you are better off not spending the money. A quick search shows you are going to need to look for watches listed for 14.5-15k and talk the seller down.

You are way better off buying a mint/top 16610 w/tritium cream lume. Holding onto it and selling when you have more knowledge/budget. I would also consider a Tudor sub. You could get a really nice Tudor for that money.

You want to buy a watch with all the right parts already on the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 06:09 AM   #37
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Slow down, As I said one pic of a watch isn’t going to work. I gave you the blueprints. Learn from others mistakes.

That watch doesn’t look good from the one bad photo. It’s not even worth commenting on. Something is up with the lume. Insert doenst look right.

I mean this in the nicest way, if your going to not spend the money to get a good example you are better off not spending the money. A quick search shows you are going to need to look for watches listed for 14.5-15k and talk the seller down.

You are way better off buying a mint/top 16610 w/tritium cream lume. Holding onto it and selling when you have more knowledge/budget. I would also consider a Tudor sub. You could get a really nice Tudor for that money.

You want to buy a watch with all the right parts already on the watch.

100% I would limit my search and use some of the trusted sellers listed in the reference section here. You will pay a bit more but not much and will be buying from someone who understands the vintage minefield and at least knows what they are selling.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 08:26 AM   #38
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Hahahahaha. 168000 is a vintage piece. 88-89.
The first 168000s were actually from 1986.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 05:56 PM   #39
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Op the whole watch is fake. Dial, hands, case insert....

* NO WHITE 1680 SUB DIAL HAS THE P OF PERPETUAL ANYWHERE NEAR THE END OF THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE L IN ROLEX * .
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2022, 07:56 PM   #40
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post

* NO WHITE 1680 SUB DIAL HAS THE P OF PERPETUAL ANYWHERE NEAR THE END OF THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE L IN ROLEX * .
Nice catch on the L P relationship, I thought that dial looked fishy but gave up after seeing enough weird looking lume.
Old 16 December 2022, 09:35 PM   #41
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
GMT has a damaged dial that will only get worse.

The Sub Date has a later dial, but it is in good condition and at a price that makes it attractive.

All this talk about the matte dial is nice, but you won't get one for that price.
Sorry Larry, as rarely do I beg to differ with you, but price was fact, not talk, as that's what I sold one for to Scott at Vintage Rlx in the U.S..

I have sold two spare ones at that price in last year, and a 16700 for £1250, a 16760 £1400 and a 16600 for £900 and someone I bought a few off sold a 1680 matte dial for £1000 (below).

I.m.h.o people pay way too much for rather common run-of-the-mill dials and get put off buying watches with just a dial requirement because of daft inflated prices of dials by some sellers....after all it's not red depth 6538 dial territory we are talking!

Agree with you that the service dial is fine on a nice cheap piece.

Rgds Paul

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154339993...mis&media=COPY
Old 16 December 2022, 09:47 PM   #42
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Old 17 December 2022, 01:02 AM   #43
King0424
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This statement right here blew me away..I did not notice this at all. I brought up a few other dials and compared.
My assumption is this dealer has no idea what's what.
I appreciate you guys chiming in on this..
Old 17 December 2022, 01:35 AM   #44
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Where did you see this fake watch at? Is it listed on the internet?

Give us the link.

Old 17 December 2022, 01:38 AM   #45
King0424
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Where did you see this fake watch at? Is it listed on the internet?

Give us the link.

Not on the internet. Its at a local Brick and Mortar near me here in the suburbs of Houston. He's dealt in watches and Jewelry for 10+ years.. He always has nice pieces in there. Lots of stellar reviews from locals..At one time he was the only guy you could purchase used rolex pieces from near the Galveston area.
Old 17 December 2022, 04:23 AM   #46
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Hal martins? Shopping for a used watch locally in Houston isn’t the best idea, you will have much better luck buying a good example from a trusted vintage dealer online.

Old 17 December 2022, 05:12 AM   #47
King0424
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hal martins? Shopping for a used watch locally in Houston isn’t the best idea, you will have much better luck buying a good example from a trusted vintage dealer online.

Nah it wasn't Hal Martins..That place is a staple here. In fact, I was there yesterday. Fantastic stuff..
Anyways, I do agree with your statement. I would prefer to purchase from a trusted dealer.
Old 17 December 2022, 05:13 PM   #48
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Just to show that matte dials can be bought cheaply here's my sale of 16800 matte to Scott USA VintageRlx at £1350 btw peeps.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vint...607824#p607824
Old 26 December 2022, 12:57 PM   #49
King0424
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just to show that matte dials can be bought cheaply here's my sale of 16800 matte to Scott USA VintageRlx at £1350 btw peeps.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vint...607824#p607824

[mention]TuRo [/mention] Wanted to drop this on you since I’m still on the hunt…Thillier time posted up a 1979-1680 for sale. What’s your take on that one?
I’ve been staring at it for the last day or two. Can’t find anything that’s off…Except for a cracked pearl on the 12 o’clock bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 December 2022, 03:26 PM   #50
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I wouldn’t take either watch. If forced using someone else's money I’d take the sub.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote