The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2018, 11:42 AM   #61
Gotham777
"TRF" Member

It was a fake!
Gotham777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 11:42 AM   #62
Juclaq
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
Yeah. Unless you know the guy, I would not recommend approaching random strangers
Juclaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 12:03 PM   #63
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleolemoi View Post
It's much better to talk about your watches while urinating than ummmm " other " things??
I only talk to strangers in restrooms if they offer me a candy bar first.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 12:04 PM   #64
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I usually just say “nice watch” and leave it at that.
If the person wants to reply then I’m all in but I like to give them an out so they can process the interaction and maybe let them get a glance of my wrist so they can realize I’m just a watch geek.
Old 16 September 2018, 12:16 PM   #65
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
The shooing away as if your mere presence was offensive was out of order, even being ignored would have been better.

I actually commented on a stranger’s watch for the first time yesterday. I was in the pharmacy and the pharmacist was wearing a polar Exp II. I said “nice watch” and pointed to my Exp. He smiled, and said thanks. I did wonder if I should’ve said anything. The guy was at work and may not have cared for that.

With cycling, I’ve commented on lots of nice bikes and cyclists usually take that well.

When I’m walking my dachshund I do sometimes assume other dachshund owner’s are friendly: I’ve certainly learned that’s not the case. I actually size up the owner before the dog then decide if a meet n greet us on the cards. Everyone’s different be the take away here.
JonaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 12:28 PM   #66
Joemck
"TRF" Member

Watch: And listen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I only talk to strangers in restrooms if they offer me a candy bar first.
You, my friend, are on a roll
Old 16 September 2018, 12:36 PM   #67
Grandcrew
Banned

I simply say “cool watch.” And if they are a WIS they will start a conversation. If not, we both move on.
Grandcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 12:37 PM   #68
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

It must be Saturday night....
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 01:21 PM   #69
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I agree. You should stop doing that.

This
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:01 PM   #70
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Most people smile and are happy that someone else is acknowledging their watch. Some people get a bit surprised because it's not common place. I feel like we are so disconnected from each other that why not compliment someone's watch?

I only had a shitty experience once and it also made me reconsider approaching people. I complimented a guy's Explorer II at the gym and he and his friends were complete asses. Every time I see them at the gym they are lifting double the weight they are capable of with no form and then proceeding to talk about all their business ventures. Ran into them in a Sauna once and their conversation was as shallow as it can get.

Assholes will be assholes but don't let them dictate what you do in the future. Sadly, Rolex does attract certain people who buy the brand for the brand. It attracts assholes but whatever.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:20 PM   #71
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

To the OP, continue to be outgoing and friendly, if someone chooses to be rude, that's their problem. I compliment people all the time, if they decide to engage fine, if they don't, that's OK too.I'm into antique cars and motorcycles, if I'm getting gas and someone engages me about them, I'm happy to talk to them. Why would I assume they're up to something??? My mom used to say, "It doesn't cost anything to be polite."
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:21 PM   #72
blackhawks-fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Dial 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I’m guilty of striking up conversation with strangers if I notice they have a nice/unique watch. It’s hit or miss.

I had a similar experience as the OP riding the train home after work one day. I was waiting by the doors for a minute or two with another gentleman, as we awaited our next stop. I noticed he had on a Patek 5740. Normally I wouldn’t say anything on a train ride home, but it’s not a watch you see everyday. So, I waited for him to glance in my direction and said “nice 5740”. He just looked at me for a second and looked away. Wasn’t even worth his time to have a reaction.

Another scenario, I was getting a new strap for my JLC deep sea alarm tribute at Jean Rousseau in nyc when a man came in with three watches, each getting a new, custom strap. I glanced over and he had a FP Journe utc, centigraphe and a tourbilloin. I felt compelled to ask about the tourbillion. He couldn’t have been nicer. We talked for 10 minutes and he even offered to help me source a Chrono Bleu from the boutique if I wanted.

Moral of my contrasting stories is everyone is different. Every situation is different. Some may call it rude. Some may call it being friendly. But, I would gladly encounter people like the person on the train, if it means that every once and a while i get to meet people like the guy I met while getting my watch strap.
I would be VERY uncomfortable talking about an expensive watch on a train. In a jewelry store however I would be glad to talk about expensive watches.
blackhawks-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:24 PM   #73
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Some people don’t like to be accosted when out and about. Given any particular set of circumstances then a range of responses should be expected. If you don’t want the risk of a negative response, don’t ask the question.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:26 PM   #74
DowntotheLine
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
If the person wants to reply then I’m all in but I like to give them an out so they can process the interaction and maybe let them get a glance of my wrist so they can realize I’m just a watch geek.
This is exactly my thought. “Nice watch” works well because they can do as little as nod and acknowledge or if they want to talk watches you gave them the opportunity to do so. I’d be a bit put off personally if someone out of the gate asked me a bunch of specific questions about how I acquired anything.
DowntotheLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:28 PM   #75
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
"It doesn't cost anything to be polite."

Yes typically a true adage - not sure if you saw the watch theft video from Barcelona which has been about the site for a week or so showing someone being polite as he was approached by a stranger and losing his watch as a result.

It’s all about the circumstance and situation, whoever is starting the conversation should be mindful of that and judge if it’s appropriate to engage or not.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:43 PM   #76
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Yes typically a true adage - not sure if you saw the watch theft video from Barcelona which has been about the site for a week or so showing someone being polite as he was approached by a stranger and losing his watch as a result.

It’s all about the circumstance and situation, whoever is starting the conversation should be mindful of that and judge if it’s appropriate to engage or not.

That video is a perfect example. If someone approached me out of nowhere like that and wanted to strike up a conversation, I’m walking away instantly. That Barcelona video was so clearly a sketchy situation waiting to happen.

If someone mentioned a watch on a plane or in an airport, i would be totally happy striking up a conversation. I think it depends on the surrounding.

The “ what did it cost” question that people get is highly uncomfortable. Nearly as uncomfortable as someone asking how much is in your bank account. Both answers are- not very much lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 02:52 PM   #77
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
I can't imagine ever approaching a total stranger with “that’s the new GMT Pepsi, very rare and very nice, how did you get it?” The suspicious look you received was more than reasonable. Waving you away was rude, but at this point he was probably on full alert, and perhaps even a little frightened.

You weren't at a watch show, a gathering of watch aficionados or any other watch related event where a question of this nature would be expected. You were buying sneakers.
This is exactly my thought. A simple 'nice watch' comment is enough but saying 'how rare and how did you get it' is overboard specially coming from a stranger.

I would probably let conversation flow naturally before asking those questions.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 03:28 PM   #78
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
If the person wants to reply then I’m all in but I like to give them an out so they can process the interaction...

^this!

That’s what I’ve done so far, and it’s gone well.

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 03:54 PM   #79
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

There are two types of rolex wearers....people that are interested in watches and d*ckheads.....unfortunately id say theres more of the latter
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 04:12 PM   #80
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Usually agree with you.

Not this time. I always do it.

I’ve even gotten business from it.
Yeah...I know, right.

I guess I'm just jaded....pretty much whenever I have mentioned someones watch in the past, it went south as Antarctica...and that usually seems to be the case on the forums as there are more tales of woe than success..

I think you just have a gift....a watch whisper if you will...
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 04:23 PM   #81
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Barcelona has a ton of international tourists, especially (one would imagine) on the most upmarket shopping street. Is it possible there was simply a language barrier?

Kind of silly to compare the price of a watch to a family hatchback...everyone in the developed world has to spend money on transportation. The other is an extravagance
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 04:35 PM   #82
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Exactly what I do... give someone an in, then let them start the convo if they want
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:13 PM   #83
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
I don’t ask anyone , and I don’t assume they are real either ...
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:30 PM   #84
mstauqir
"TRF" Member

New GMT BLRO in Barcelona is a BIIG deal. Unfortunately, watch enthusiasts are a mixed bag, just like any where else in the world. Waving you away was a total douche bag move. I have watch conversations with random enthusiasts all the time. Only one time I ran into a douche bag coincidently with vintage Pepsi GMT.

Though, my first question is never "where you got it from" but rather "Beautiful watch" or something similar.
mstauqir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:48 PM   #85
artschool
"TRF" Member

he 100% thought you were going to steal it. Barcelona is rife with watch theft and being friendly is the start of the MO.

there is a time and a place.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:57 PM   #86
Bearwithme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
No one should ever just wave a person away it is a sign of pure ignorance ....
To me it is a sign of get away I am better than you....it is from victorian times and from the raj
It is wrong

I will be honest I may not be rich ..but I am an honest law abiding person

I have seen children ..look at me and see me ad a waste of time picking up rubbish as a job and even say why do you do that when you can
Earn a pound less on benefits ... then I repeat benefits are not for me...I have been looked down upon all of my life by being brought up on a UK council estate by a single parent mother but I have 3 things in my life ..
1 a wife who loves me
2 ... 2 is correct a Tudor black bay red and a Rolex Air-King compared to other persons on this site they are rubbish watches ...but to me they are mine bought and payed for..it may have taken 6 years on minimum wage to get them but I love my twins..I have scrimped and saved for them......they are my girls and I love them
3. I am a son of a minor 3rd generation I could have been a minor myself but Margaret Thatcher finished the mines .when I was 16 and ready to go down the mines at the age of 16.she put 250.000 men in the north east of England on the dole (benefits) I am too proud to do that and if someone was to shoo me away I would sware at them ...it
No one will ever shoo me away its a derogatory remark it is the low of the low.

As for psychopath
I find that quite funny as my nickname during school was psycho
Made me chuckle and smile mate - agree about the Victorian/Raj comparison, low beyond low. Maybe us being British that sort of dismissive wave hits home a little nastier, what with class divide being our thing! Better to be sworn at than waved away.

Depending on the look given and the way I was dismissed, could see myself mouthing off, in my eyes that’s less disrespectful than being waved away - but I’d approach a person a little more gently too, “nice watch” is about the limit before I’d feel I was being intrusive. Let the conversation live or die by the response given.

At the end of the day, people are people and some of us are d***s, and I guess some of us are nice but not in the mood, not good with people or don’t have the time in that moment.

OP - I don’t think you should stop trying to start watch conversations, you never know you you could be asking, if it were me we could end up talking 40 minutes and you’d have to make an excuse to get away and back to shopping

Bearwithme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 06:34 PM   #87
Jagsie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN,126660-JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
No one should ever just wave a person away it is a sign of pure ignorance ....
To me it is a sign of get away I am better than you....it is from victorian times and from the raj
It is wrong

I will be honest I may not be rich ..but I am an honest law abiding person

I have seen children ..look at me and see me ad a waste of time picking up rubbish as a job and even say why do you do that when you can
Earn a pound less on benefits ... then I repeat benefits are not for me...I have been looked down upon all of my life by being brought up on a UK council estate by a single parent mother but I have 3 things in my life ..
1 a wife who loves me
2 ... 2 is correct a Tudor black bay red and a Rolex Air-King compared to other persons on this site they are rubbish watches ...but to me they are mine bought and payed for..it may have taken 6 years on minimum wage to get them but I love my twins..I have scrimped and saved for them......they are my girls and I love them
3. I am a son of a minor 3rd generation I could have been a minor myself but Margaret Thatcher finished the mines .when I was 16 and ready to go down the mines at the age of 16.she put 250.000 men in the north east of England on the dole (benefits) I am too proud to do that and if someone was to shoo me away I would sware at them ...it
No one will ever shoo me away its a derogatory remark it is the low of the low.

As for psychopath
I find that quite funny as my nickname during school was psycho

Well said Pal

Jagsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 06:39 PM   #88
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
I always say nice watch, and leave to the person to expound further. Asking how you got it ? Is not appropriate . I think most negative responses I receive were because the other person was wearing a fake, and feel they were being called out on it !
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:53 PM   #89
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg Barcelona View Post
It is one third of the price of a new Volkswagen Golf GTI. Not the end of the world.
Sure but it's like paying £500 for a steak, that's even less money but so fanciful that only a very few do it, it's all relative.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:55 PM   #90
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosvelt View Post
I always say nice watch, and leave to the person to expound further. Asking how you got it ? Is not appropriate . I think most negative responses I receive were because the other person was wearing a fake, and feel they were being called out on it !
I agree just make that nice watch comment, and then usually the person will either be not keen or they will look at your watch so have it visible and if they see something similar they will be more encouraged to talk with you, rather than think you are setting them up.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote