The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 October 2018, 03:34 AM   #1
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Best source for a SBDC053 Diver

I would like a 116600 seadweller, but that's about $10,000 more than I have to spend these days (I hope this situation improves soon). So, I started looking at the worst-kept secret in automatic watches: Seiko. And, I admit it, I'm a bit smitten with this blue dial beauty. Case finishing is awesome, dial is awesome, size (seems) awesome etc.....

So, I wanted to try one on before I bought it. So I searched Seiko for dealers who might have one. But, since it's JDM model, it's not something I can try on in the states. MAYBE the boutique in NYC would have one, but probably not. It does not even show on the N.A. Seiko web site.

So that means I need to just buy it, and hope I like it as much as I hope I will.

Which brings me to the question: Where is the best on-line retailer for one of these? The warranty is Japan only, so no real issues with one seller honoring the warranty and another not- none of them will. So maybe used is the way to go. I'd like to add the 051 bracelet as well, so I had the option to go back and forth. New, they hover around $600 so please share what you have for purchasing details on these.

PM is fine if you'd rather not broadcast your "source" to the open world.

Thank you!
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:14 AM   #2
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Gnomon Watches was the 053 with the bracelet for sale for $849. The standard configuration with the diver's strap is $700. I see them on eBay for cheaper, and some sellers on ebay sell the bracelet for ~$200, but I'm not sure of their authenticity... Seiya Japan has the 053 on rubber for $622. He's very reputable for JDM Seikos.

I had the 051 and I will say that the size is perfect (6.75 inch wrist), it is very well built, and I actually liked the bracelet (I usually don't like them). It worked very well on a NATO, and I even put it on an Uncle Seiko waffle strap and it looked very vintage. I did have to replace the chapter ring, as it was misprinted (not just misaligned), and I replaced the hands with 62Mas-style baton hands. It was killer, but I ended up selling it to fund my GMT Master. That said, I'm now in the market for the 053 as well, and will probably get it from one of the two places mentioned above.

Good luck. If you get it, you'll not regret it. The blue dial is magnificent, and much better than the black version. Cheers!
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:19 AM   #3
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Also, I think my two Seiko ADs here both had the 051 and the limited edition green model (which is quite heinous, if you ask me). They may have had the blue 053, but I wasn't paying too much attention to it when I was there. I know for a fact they had the new SBDC063 "Mini MarineMaster" on hand. Point being, if you have a Seiko AD near you, stop by and see if they have one of the different models to see if the size works for you.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 05:50 AM   #4
J!m
"TRF" Member

That’s s good point- one of the other variants in the same case would give me a good indication.

There’s an AD in the maul near work so I’ll see if I can pop in and see what they have.
Old 10 October 2018, 05:57 AM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Sent PM for my eBay seller. A good looking watch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:23 AM   #6
J!m
"TRF" Member

Got your message, thank you!