The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 June 2019, 06:52 AM   #31
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
Like the old saying goes - if you gotta ask...
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 07:04 AM   #32
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

The thing is that Rolex is not all that expensive unless you get into precious metals and hard to find models.

The classic Submariner cost the following (depending on date or no date)

In 1980 it cost $950

In 1988 it cost $1450

In 2000 it cost $3500

In 2007 it cost $4525

In 2014 it cost $7500

This doesn't seem like a huge amount of money compared to what other things cost. Look at car costs in the same time frame, and you can argue that yeah but you don't need an expensive watch and I could argue that you don't need an expensive car either but most people are driving pretty expensive cars.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 07:39 AM   #33
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
5 months of survival money is different than 5 month of living normal money.... I have 5 years survival money but dont feel ok to buy a 3d now..
Yes I agree. I am equally paranoid about the liquidity of asset; nothing beats cash in time of need.
dtwer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 07:47 AM   #34
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I guess you don’t want all your cash tied up in watches - as nice as they are.

So if you have plenty of previous savings tucked away elsewhere then go for it. If buying the watch puts you back down to zero, I would pass.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 11:59 AM   #35
Kloud
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16234
The way I think about it is like this - Would I wince lighting that amount of money on fire in comparison to my total liquid assets? If the answer is yes, then I can't afford it. If no, then I pull the trigger.
Kloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 12:19 PM   #36
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 116713LN
When I can buy the watch I want with the "interest" on my savings!
Jackumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 12:27 PM   #37
ak5659
"TRF" Member

I think it’s as simple as if I’m questioning whether I can afford something, then the answer is I can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ak5659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 01:23 PM   #38
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Once I had enough cash to air condition the sun I decided to live a little and buy a few watches

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 01:39 PM   #39
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

how does one know if they can afford watches?

Can’t answer this question., 5 months of savings is different to each person. And what kinda watch.

SKX

OP

iWatch

Casio

Tudor

Rolex

Age. You max out your Roth first. You have no house ?

< 200
Old 12 June 2019, 06:37 PM   #40
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
I think a lot of the people responded here have a safety cushion of maybe 3-6 months ''savings'' but the rest might be in stocks and investments and is much more, is that right? Because once i started a similar topic and the guys there responded that they would not even think about spending more than 1 procent or so of their net worth on a watch, so my guess is that they would not splurge 300k a month on just living(savings) survival money
Survival money for me would be just the money i need to sleep, eat, shower, not walk in underwear and have enough funds to transport me from A to B for example..
A safety net of 5 months is just 5 months costs… Are you comfortable that you are just 5 months covered? Do you have a own house etc.?
I don't for example, and i allready calculate like 20k in for furniture when i need to...
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 07:45 PM   #41
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Generally speaking, if the Bailiffs come to the door and repossess ones watch, it is a good indication that one cannot afford it.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 08:54 PM   #42
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Generally speaking, if the Bailiffs come to the door and repossess ones watch, it is a good indication that one cannot afford it.
Lol, if you won´t get in debts but have like no food on the table you are able to?
Old 12 June 2019, 10:35 PM   #43
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:38 PM   #44
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I tend to think of it as throw away money. If you can throw away that amount of money and not feel anything then I think it's ok.

Don't believe necessarily in saving for these kinds of items.
That’s about it.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 09:37 AM   #45
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

I tend to think if you’re asking an internet group of 30-40 something dudes (yes I’m generalizing) you’ve never met if you can afford something, that’s a solid “no”

If you’re looking for validation, then justify whatever you’d like.

Buy Rolex and other useless crap with only money that if you instead lit on fire, your life would not be impacted in any way. That’s how you know can “afford” a Rolex.
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 10:12 AM   #46
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Not sure how old are you are OP, but buy a Rolex once and you have it for 50 years.. do not worry about wives or Moms.. better to do it now, while young... good luck sir
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 07:10 PM   #47
filsgreen
"TRF" Member

I don't give a toss about debt, I want a Rolex watch. As long as I can afford the 2% interest and payments and the kids don't starve, who gives a f@#k? My mate's wife is going into a hospice tomorrow, she's 58. Life's too short to worry about money.

Besides, if you find yourself on skid row, you'll always get at least half your money back. I also agree with the many who opine, that a stranger's thoughts and opinions are immaterial, be a man and decide for yourself.
filsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 07:21 PM   #48
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by filsgreen View Post
I don't give a toss about debt, I want a Rolex watch. As long as I can afford the 2% interest and payments and the kids don't starve, who gives a f@#k? My mate's wife is going into a hospice tomorrow, she's 58. Life's too short to worry about money.

Besides, if you find yourself on skid row, you'll always get at least half your money back. I also agree with the many who opine, that a stranger's thoughts and opinions are immaterial, be a man and decide for yourself.
I love this post. It’s hard for me to live this way, but I agree with you. Life is too short and extremely uncertain.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 08:04 PM   #49
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I love this post. It’s hard for me to live this way, but I agree with you. Life is too short and extremely uncertain.
Yea we can be somewhat jealous on this lifestyle indeed but.. Many times you see people that live this way will find theirselves in a difficult situation more than once and than they tend to account on other people, whats worse than begging for money at your friends? I think thats the highest rank of inmaturity
Everyone can get into problems but just be able to save yourself for a year or 2 or so and have the patience to build a solid safety net instead of a few thousands bucks..
And in the USA you should have more, much more than this.
Old 13 June 2019, 08:05 PM   #50
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Have we checked in with the wife yet?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 08:11 PM   #51
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Pay cash for it and it should a small percentage of your saving, it is not an investment. You could muscle through hard time without a need to sell it.
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 08:44 PM   #52
filsgreen
"TRF" Member

I understand your point of view, Crazy Michael, but not your logic. My watch will be paid for in a year and once paid for, it will be like money in the bank.

What is the difference between putting £420 a month in a bank as savings or as a loan payment? Of course, if the world fell in, I would lose half of that payment, but then I would not have had the pleasure of wearing the Rolex. No different from paying for your family car on finance.

The difference for me is, I would rather pay the 2% interest, or £100, or let's break it down further, a daily interest charge of 27 pence, for the privilege of not wasting a year saving up. Much the same principle as obtaining your chosen Rolex at a grey dealer and paying a premium for the privilege, instead of being on the waiting list.

At the end if the day, I like the watch, but I'm not covetous. If the SHTF, I would sell it in a heartbeat.
Old 13 June 2019, 09:13 PM   #53
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand your point of view, Crazy Michael, but not your logic. My watch will be paid for in a year and once paid for, it will be like money in the bank.

What is the difference between putting £420 a month in a bank as savings or as a loan payment? Of course, if the world fell in, I would lose half of that payment, but then I would not have had the pleasure of wearing the Rolex. No different from paying for your family car on finance.

The difference for me is, I would rather pay the 2% interest, or £100, or let's break it down further, a daily interest charge of 27 pence, for the privilege of not wasting a year saving up. Much the same principle as obtaining your chosen Rolex at a grey dealer and paying a premium for the privilege, instead of being on the waiting list.

At the end if the day, I like the watch, but I'm not covetous. If the SHTF, I would sell it in a heartbeat.
Hm yes, but i guess you still have some kind of buffer somewhere?
By the way, you and i are not from the USA so we can get along with much less safety money than the USA guys. I just feel ''relaxed'' and sort of safe when i know that i have enough money in the bank besides a quite lucrative Rolex wrist watch that i wear for pleasure and not for some kind of investment potential
Old 13 June 2019, 09:31 PM   #54
filsgreen
"TRF" Member

As I've said, the watch would in some way, be a buffer . Where have I indicated that I saw a Rolex as an investment, I've always thought, that an investment brings about some sort of profit. I'll profit from enjoying the watch, I've never said owning one would achieve a financial profit. I proposed the exact opposite, stating "you would at least get half your money back."
Old 13 June 2019, 09:47 PM   #55
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
As I've said, the watch would in some way, be a buffer . Where have I indicated that I saw a Rolex as an investment, I've always thought, that an investment brings about some sort of profit. I'll profit from enjoying the watch, I've never said owning one would achieve a financial profit. I proposed the exact opposite, stating "you would at least get half your money back."
I have had a watch on interest free, I couldn't have afforded it otherwise, not once in my working career did I earn over £30K a year. I am now retired, no mortgage, no debt, good pensions and a fist full of watches. Have I been in debt throughout my life, yes, of course, who hasn't? (Mortgage, car etc) But I have never been at the stage where I could not pay it back, my "buffer" was the same as yours, I would have sold the watch without batting an eye.

I have had cancer and recovered, it was a leveller. I agree with all you say Phil. One life. Live it.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 10:04 PM   #56
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Baron View Post
I tend to think if you’re asking an internet group of 30-40 something dudes (yes I’m generalizing) you’ve never met if you can afford something, that’s a solid “no”

If you’re looking for validation, then justify whatever you’d like.

Buy Rolex and other useless crap with only money that if you instead lit on fire, your life would not be impacted in any way. That’s how you know can “afford” a Rolex.
I think this is true with cars, but a Rolex is an easily liquidatable asset. Anyone who can afford a second car, or can afford to replace their car every 3-5 years, can afford a Rolex by choosing to be a one car/same car guy.

Quote:

If you can get a loan on a watch at 2% or less and can afford the payments, why wouldn't you buy the watch? That's almost free money for the satisfaction of having something you really desire.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 03:29 AM   #57
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
I have had a watch on interest free, I couldn't have afforded it otherwise, not once in my working career did I earn over £30K a year. I am now retired, no mortgage, no debt, good pensions and a fist full of watches. Have I been in debt throughout my life, yes, of course, who hasn't? (Mortgage, car etc) But I have never been at the stage where I could not pay it back, my "buffer" was the same as yours, I would have sold the watch without batting an eye.

I have had cancer and recovered, it was a leveller. I agree with all you say Phil. One life. Live it.
Well said. It's a very good perspective.

In calculating value of things in life, time is indeed often overlooked. A day lived without meaningful experience is a day wasted forever.
dtwer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 10:31 AM   #58
chsu74
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710,116520,SLA19
how does one know if they can afford watches?

Say the watch you are looking for is $10K. You said 5 months savings which means you are saving $2K per month or $24K per year?

$hit buy it already. You worked hard so reward yourself.
chsu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 10:46 AM   #59
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsu74 View Post
Say the watch you are looking for is $10K. You said 5 months savings which means you are saving $2K per month or $24K per year?

$hit buy it already. You worked hard so reward yourself.
Yes, the first post didn't make much sense to me either.

And money in savings may be a buffer but at current interest rates it should be put to better use.
If you can buy the 'right' model then go for it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 10:55 AM   #60
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:

One of the greatest posts here!!! I just can’t live that way... lol. But, I do admire you.
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote