The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 January 2011, 04:40 AM   #1
dchan
"TRF" Member

GMT Master II timing problem, +22 sec/day

I bought my first Rolex, the GMT Master II ceramic in May 2009. I absolutely love this watch, but the only problem was that it wasn't accurate. After 14 months of ownership, it was gaining about 9 seconds/day. I brought it back to watch maker from Ben Bridges (where I bought the watch), and he had made the adjustments. When I got the watch back, it started to gain even more, ~22.5 seconds/day. It's been 8 months now, and I've measured the gain at least 4 times, over a 10 day period, and every time, I calculate I gain ~22.5 seconds/day. Last week, I brought it back to the Ben Bridges, the same watch maker told me today that my watch is working perfect and that he only measured a gain of 4 seconds over 8 days.

How can there be such a large discrepancy? I never take off my watch and I don't work near magnets or anything out of the ordinary. I asked that they ship my watch back to Rolex for repair/check up, since it's still under the 2 year warranty.

Did I do the right thing, ask them ship it back to Rolex, or should I try to bring the watch to another authorized dealer and ask for a second opinion? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 09:35 PM   #2
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
If you are sure you are being consistent with your accuracy checks then send it off to Rolex yourself. Its no surprise that the shop you got it from says its working OK. They maybe just dont want to get involved. Its your watch and its still under wwarranty so take advantage of it mate!!
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 09:52 PM   #3
rstein

Watch: SS Daytona
The watchmakers timing machine could be off, or maybe he is not checking the timing in all of the necessary positions; dial up, dial down, crown up, crown down, crown left/right. Temperature can also play a part in timing as materials expand and contract with temperature change.
rstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 09:04 AM   #4
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one I'm wearin
Still under warranty?

Sorry to hear about that

Doubt it's anything to do with magnetism as the IIc has a parachrom hairspring which is not supposed to be affected by that.
http://www.rolex.com/en/rolex-watche...rom-hairspring

Sounds like it's time for a visit to the RSC for warranty work and resolution....although sounds like your watch may be out of coverage.

I would also inquire with your local ad's shop as another recc'd here as to their timing methodology. How are you measuring the time? The two of you should at least be able to resolve why your rates dont match.

Best wishes
--Paul

Best wishes

--Paul

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Marketh the going of Time." --Edward Fitzgerald
ayecarumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 01:21 AM   #5
trvilanova

a big problem

Hi

I think that is a big problem, a Rolex never can do that.

You must go to technical service. I'm so sorry.
trvilanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 11:32 AM   #6
rhino67
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Ship it

After 11 years, my GMT II gains a little each month, but nothing as you have experienced. If still under warranty, sending it back to Rolex is a no brainer. Wearing those watches is supposed to be a pleasure...yours is bugging you and it needs to be right.
rhino67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 05:21 PM   #7
onryo

Watch: GMT-Master II
My GMT II is out of COSC spec (gaining about 9 seconds per day), but definitely not that bad. I would use your warranty. You paid for it. As for my GMT II, it will be going in for service later this year. In the meantime, I'm not late for meetings.
onryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2011, 06:48 PM   #8
globalmedia33
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Seem like your GMT needs to regulate. Why not send it to the RSC if the AD could not do the job?
“I THINK PERFECTION IS UGLY. SOMEWHERE IN THE THINGS HUMANS MAKE, I WANT TO SEE SCARS, FAILURE, DISORDER AND DISTORTION" - YOHJI YAMAMOTO
globalmedia33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 12:15 AM   #9
poppyoua12
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610 Submariner
Just had my sub overhauled.It use to keep about + 4 sec. then just before I took it in was at +15 a day got it back for service and now running +10 so I took it back to my AD and they said it's just with in Rolex specs they said Rolex allow for a gain of 5&1/2 min. a month.I told them to send it back and regulate it. So now I'm waiting to see how it will run when I get it back.
poppyoua12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 12:19 AM   #10
MonBK
Banned

Send it in.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 01:06 AM   #11
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
It's most likely a positional error which usually means something wrong with the balance staff which really isn't an adjustment but replacement so if under warranty which it is the factory is the only way to go. Rik
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 02:47 AM   #12
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
I agree with those that advised to send your watch into an RSC. If you call one of the RSC's (ie Dallas) they will send you a mailing kit and very detailed instructions. If your watch is still under warranty Rolex will set it right. You could also ask the AD to do so. As an AD they would be obliglated to honor your request.

For reference, my V series GMT IIC is unbelievably consistent. It runs +1 sec per day over a 2 week period.

At a minimum your watch should be within COSC standards and most importantly gaining or losing the same amount every day.
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote