The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 13 February 2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Closs1909
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC
Question after I had my Milgauss fixed.

I recently damaged the inner workings of my Milgauss through an impact. I was told the automatic wheel or spring was shattered\broken. I know nothing about them technicals of watches but had it fixed at a local jeweler\Rolex AD an now it works. Now I can hear the moving pieces within the watch, when I shake it next to my ear. I have never heard this with any other Rolex's I have owned, but on my Breitlings I can always hear a similar noise. I am concerned that maybe the work done on the watch was subpar, though I do trust the jeweler. What should I do, or is this normal? What would you recommend doing to verify the work was done properly, without having to wait months by sending it to Rolex? Thank you
Closs1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
If its working that is at least something. The fact that you can now hear the automatic device winding the watch where you could'nt before is a little odd. Do you know what exactly was replaced? If new reversing wheels were fitted it is possible that a new pair could be a little more noisy than the original pair which had been running for some time. The Milgauss has an inner case, is it possible that the inner caseback was not refitted? I see your watch is lees than two years old (from your other thread) You should have returned it to Rolex under warranty. They aim to turn around warranty watches in a much shorter time than service work.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 10:34 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironstark View Post
If its working that is at least something. The fact that you can now hear the automatic device winding the watch where you could'nt before is a little odd. Do you know what exactly was replaced? If new reversing wheels were fitted it is possible that a new pair could be a little more noisy than the original pair which had been running for some time. The Milgauss has an inner case, is it possible that the inner caseback was not refitted? I see your watch is lees than two years old (from your other thread) You should have returned it to Rolex under warranty. They aim to turn around warranty watches in a much shorter time than service work.
X2. Cannot understand why the OP did not send it for repair under the original two year Rolex warranty.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2011, 01:11 AM   #4
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
X2. Cannot understand why the OP did not send it for repair under the original two year Rolex warranty.
The OP damaged the watch through impact , I'm not sure it would be covered under warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2011, 06:26 AM   #5
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbeth View Post
The OP damaged the watch through impact , I'm not sure it would be covered under warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PADI's right, it's worth a shot. I have had Rolex Dallas do free stuff, just out of kindness/customer service. And having things jangling around inside my watch would freak me out. That is why I NEVER trust my watches to anyone except Rolex Dallas Service Center. Do they cost more? Maybe, but I get a perfect watch back every time, and it's backed by their warranty. Speaking of that, now that he allowed somebody to open and fix whatever, his warranty is now VOID. Period.
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
I was going to mention the warranty. Whether or not its void depends on whether the watchmaker at the AD is Rolex certified or not.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2011, 08:35 AM   #7
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL1808 View Post
I recently damaged the inner workings of my Milgauss through an impact. I was told the automatic wheel or spring was shattered\broken. I know nothing about them technicals of watches but had it fixed at a local jeweler\Rolex AD an now it works. Now I can hear the moving pieces within the watch, when I shake it next to my ear. I have never heard this with any other Rolex's I have owned, but on my Breitlings I can always hear a similar noise. I am concerned that maybe the work done on the watch was subpar, though I do trust the jeweler. What should I do, or is this normal? What would you recommend doing to verify the work was done properly, without having to wait months by sending it to Rolex? Thank you
Just a quick note on the turnaround time on Rolex service. Even a full 5/7 year service at Dallas RSC never takes more than 4-5 weeks door to door, and if you call them, they send you out a free shipping kit with everything you need except postage. It's so easy! Maybe other RSC's take longer, but that is what it's been for me. Getting my new Sub regulated there, and it is arriving back tomorrow. Two weeks, door to door. And it's 3 months out of warranty, but they are doing/did the regulation for free. No charge. I love Dallas RSC!
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2011, 10:01 AM   #8
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl View Post
PADI's right, it's worth a shot. I have had Rolex Dallas do free stuff, just out of kindness/customer service. And having things jangling around inside my watch would freak me out. That is why I NEVER trust my watches to anyone except Rolex Dallas Service Center. Do they cost more? Maybe, but I get a perfect watch back every time, and it's backed by their warranty. Speaking of that, now that he allowed somebody to open and fix whatever, his warranty is now VOID. Period.
It depends then on the RSC to do the job under warranty or not. Probably decided on how much damage was done to the watch and the cost to repair / parts. In most cases though if damage was done to the watch by the owner, one would expect to pay. I know I would...
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 03:33 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I'm not sure that holding it up to your ear and shaking it is a valid diagnostic tool. All of my watches make some sort of noise when I hold it to my ear and shak them...

You say you took it to an AD, and the AD watchmaker fixed the issue. It is an easy thing to ensure that the AD watchmaker is qualified/certified to do in-house Rolex repairs.... just ask.

Return it to the AD if you feel that they may have done the work improperly...