The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 July 2018, 12:21 AM   #1
Hands90
"TRF" Member

My Doxa Story - Becoming a Doxa Collector

My Doxa Story - Becoming a Doxa Collector

This is my Doxa Story. I’ve always been a dive guy. I started with a massive Citizen then came the straps, then the number of watches I bought and sold to learn what I liked. I always looked for the next best thing. Moving around like a animal looking for my next meal.

The Tudor Black Bay was a great watch to own. Mine was before they offered an Inhouse movement. Sold that for a Seamaster 300 Master CoAxial. I have to list the whole name because Omega likes to call a number of different watches ‘Seamaster 300s’. Then came the Rolex GMT and the sub. Through my collecting I always looked at what’s next. I’d sell my current watches to fund the next one. My collection was never more than two to three watches at a time.

To be honest with myself I can not sit still. The more I read about horology the more interested I became in buying rare vintage pieces or having to own a Speedy. Offer me a rare sub and I still would have went for the Speedy instead after reading all the rich history of the Apollo missions. My fiance bought me a vintage Speedy and I could not be happier. I was fascinated with the watch that went to the moon. Now that I own one, I love it as much as I thought I would. It’s a great watch and since it was gift I can never sell it. I can not be tempted to sell it to fund another obsession.

Since the Speedy was the watch that I always chased now I was open to try new things like the Rolexes I mentioned and a Breitling Navitimer, IWC Pilot and a high end Nomos.

Finally came the night where I was poking around on Ebay looking at watch listings. Doxa was always a brand I knew of but never one I really looked into buying. I’ve been on the site but the numbers were confusing for the models. There on Ebay was a 1500t near mint. I bought the 1500t and was really impressed with the watch. So impressed I decided I wanted something closer to the vintage models. A black lung came up for sale so I jumped on it and sold my 1500t.

Then of course the Poseidons started to ship and one was listed on the forum.
Horological-psychologist WUS - reached out to me to tell me a watch was for sale and I should check it out. I reached out to the seller to buy it.

Explaining to my fiance that I sent a random man I met on the internet who lives in Hong Kong and goes by the name Top Hot Dog, a $550 deposit for a watch he doesn't even own was a bit strange. She was completely fine with it but when I was explaining it I had to question my own actions. The watch came shortly after.

Enjoying the Poseidon for as little time as I’ve had it, my eyes have started to wonder. If you have tried to sell a Doxa with in the past month or two there is a good change I reached out to you. I decided to buy a 1200t Pro from Doxa this morning.

With the 1200t on backorder I now need to calm myself and wait for the watch to come in. Doxa’s are not the most expensive watches out there but nonetheless they are not cheap by any standard. That Sub C I moved cost a pretty penny but Doxa’s hold their value well because Doxa fans are crazy about this brand. Doxa’s are great value for the what they cost and you are buying quality. I’m sure I’ll end up with another Doxa just hopefully not too soon.

Right now I’m obsessed with the brand. I’ve been obsessed with brands before but with Doxa it’s different. With Doxa I want that adventure people associate with the brand. When sitting on a beach or using the bezel as a backup on a dive it’s about the adventure not the watch.

The old ads with a man in a wetsuit and a Doxa around his wrist is one of the reasons I pulled the trigger in the first place. It’s about the history of the brand. It does not matter what has changed through the years, what matters is the story you will tell about something you did. That watch is supposed to be there with you. Not a dive watch meant to be worn to a meeting with a client but a true dive watch meant to be taken to depths no human should ever go.

Doxa was the reason I asked a client to wait a second while we were walking through Times Square so I could buy a Clive Cussler Novel from a pop up Stand book stand on the side of the street. Ironically people buy Doxa’s because of the character in some of Cussler’s books I was the opposite.

For me all this comes down to the next step. I’ve been looking for a watch like the ones Doxa makes. I like my Poseidon more than most of my other watches. It’s far from perfect but it’s mine and I want it to be the watch that will be there when I go on my first dive or when I’m swimming the shores in the summer. I’d like to see myself as the man in that 60’s ad with a Doxa on the wrist. Like that Vintage Speedy it’s about the history behind the watch and how it makes you feel when wearing one.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 01:47 AM   #2
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
This is my first time hearing of the brand.

Thanks for sharing your story!
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 02:00 AM   #3
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
interesting its never been on my radar even though i have heard of the brand

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 02:00 AM   #4
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Great write-up - thanks for sharing your thoughts! Remember my grandpa and dad talking about Doxa watches 20 years ago in Romania
Old 11 July 2018, 02:43 AM   #5
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Great story. Dig the vintage Doxa's. Had a couple over the years. Cool watches with a great history.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 02:54 AM   #6
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Great write-up - thanks for sharing your thoughts! Remember my grandpa and dad talking about Doxa watches 20 years ago in Romania
I'm a younger guy when it comes to watch collecting but I'm an old man at heart. It's an old mans brand but I am really into it.
Old 11 July 2018, 05:13 AM   #7
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Great story, here my 1200 Pro
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EE2AC6FD-F30B-4967-9693-A2420B2CE306.jpeg (213.2 KB, 353 views)

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 05:48 AM   #8
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Love the Doxa's I have a 750T.

Join the fun: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=614532
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 06:15 AM   #9
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
So it looks like Doxa is only sold over the internet in the US, from what I can tell. Any distributors or AD's in the US if you want to see models in person?
Old 11 July 2018, 06:25 AM   #10
colpol
"TRF" Member

Enjoyed reading this - great write up & looking forward to your follow up ;.)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 06:46 AM   #11
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
So it looks like Doxa is only sold over the internet in the US, from what I can tell. Any distributors or AD's in the US if you want to see models in person?
No AD's. They might sell somewhere in California.
They were one of the the first companies to sell online.
Old 11 July 2018, 12:17 PM   #12
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Doxa and Rolex created the helium release valve together. Doxa is the real deal with a history.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:27 AM   #13
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Doxa and Rolex created the helium release valve together. Doxa is the real deal with a history.
I've read that also. It's funny to see the helium release valve on Doxa's since I always think about it on Rolexes.
I'm an Omega fan but why on earth did they ever think having a helium escape being a crown was a good idea. I hate the way it looks.
With Rolex (and Doxa) the helium release is out of the way. Some people forget it's even there which is a perfect design.
Old 12 July 2018, 11:10 PM   #14
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hell yeah! The term "tool watch" gets thrown around all the time here for basically any watch that isn't gold, but Doxa are one of the true tool watches still in existence.

I'm a huge fan. Great collection, OP!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 12:08 AM   #15
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Love Doxa
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 11:35 AM   #16
tfjordan
"TRF" Member

I love my Project Aware. It’s not just a looker, it’s a great dive watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omega Speedmaster 145.014
Tudor BB Blue
tfjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 12:13 PM   #17
nick c
Banned

They are built very well.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 05:12 AM   #18
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Doxa is what the Sub should have been. No-thrills water adventure watch. Will be getting my Project Aware piece in a few mins ;-)
Old 17 July 2018, 05:26 AM   #19
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Beautifully written! This describes my exact sentiment with the brand.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 01:14 PM   #20
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
There is a new Doxa AD in Cali, mimosjewelry.com

Doxa dive watches are mainly online only, and in the US. There is an Asia/European division who manufactures a totally different watch that is not sold here in the US.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 01:16 PM   #21
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Don't confuse Doxa today with Doxa of the past. The name Doxa was purchased in the 90's and brought back by a different company.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 04:45 AM   #22
iwenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smorgasbord
Great story and some lovely pieces May I ask how the 300 reissue compares to the 1200T (re: size and fit)?
Old 18 July 2018, 07:09 AM   #23
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Its the orange dial which is very known right? Saw it before, nice retro style
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 12:17 PM   #24
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Always liked the Doxa brand but don't currently own one. My Breitling super ocean steelfish is good to 6600 ft and has the helium escape valve.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2018, 02:38 PM   #25
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Love the tonneau cases!! Very nice watches!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote