The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 February 2018, 08:08 AM   #1
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Too much crying about in demand watches.

All watches are available.

Yes it’s true! 5711, 15202, DaytonaC, etc.
You can get any one of them!

But wait, not at retail? What do you mean the Patek salon doesn’t have a 5711 to sell you for 24k? The grey market is asking 40k? Let’s all grab our pitchforks and head down to Geneva!

Yes, there are people who get them for retail now. Many of them are guys who drop 250k a year though at full MSRP and no complaints. Why do they get them 1st? Well it’s becasue they keep them in business and bring other great clientele.

So you have to pay about 20k for a DaytonaC? You do understand that the grey market dealers are paying just about that too? One of our trusted sellers told me he sold a new white 116500 to another dealer for 20k. What’s the problem?

I think that lots of “vocal” people are mad they can’t get in demand watches, yet many are not in demand customers. There are truly people out there, including some on this forum that like to throw a tantrum online when they can’t get something for MSRP and make instant money (sell or keep). Where were these same people when these watches were readily available few years ago, even at discount?

Regardless of the economy, the premier watchmakers are here to stay and so will their tactics to control their brands.All of them have adapted to pushing expensive items as a lure to sell you the hot SS. On the plus side, since the market is tighter controlled, value in the Pre-Owned market place has skyrocketed.

There is a serious shift in wealth the past few years, and there are a serious amount of people with $$$ who don’t care about discounts etc. There is a wave of new customers who are spending more in a year than their traditional clients did in a lifetime. Because of this, prices change. It will be like this unless we get a UFO attack and aliens are eating people in the streets

Sorry for adding another rant on TRF guys..... I’m just tired of the crying
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Bigblu10
Banned

Forget SS. buy PM, they are available and now considered reasonably priced, compared to a 19K Daytona 500
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Forget SS. buy PM, they are available and now considered reasonably priced, compared to a 19K Daytona 500
I can think of a lot of watches I’d spend $19k on before I paid that for a SS Daytona.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:16 AM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Tweedle Dee - Tweedle Dum.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:38 AM   #5
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I agree there's too much whining.

I bought all my new Rolex and Tudor watches at MSRP from my AD and even when a reference wasn't in stock, I managed to get what I wanted, including a complete surprise (BLNR), and a discount at the "going out of business sale" (BB36).

Gee, I miss those folks.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:42 AM   #6
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I agree there's too much whining.

I bought all my new Rolex and Tudor watches at MSRP from my AD and even when a reference wasn't in stock, I managed to get what I wanted, including a complete surprise (BLNR), and a discount at the "going out of business sale" (BB36).

Gee, I miss those folks.
Grady, I agree too.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:44 AM   #7
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Grady, I agree too.

Old 13 February 2018, 08:55 AM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i agree. I have been saying forever Uber surge pricing is the answer. Basic price plus a demand multiplier that fluctuates with the market.

IMO its not the price necessarily, its the want to buy from an AD. Especially with Patek. Im a sucker for the paperwork in my name.

I probably wouldn't buy an in demand Patek even for a discount from a reseller, im weird though.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:01 AM   #9
Submarinerboy
"TRF" Member

When is it going to change though don’t like the idea of having to pay over retail forever??
Submarinerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:04 AM   #10
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i agree. I have been saying forever Uber surge pricing is the answer. Basic price plus a demand multiplier that fluctuates with the market.
I agree in theory, but when demand is driven up by manipulation, that’s a different story.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:07 AM   #11
Submarinerboy
"TRF" Member

Yea and for Rolex owners I think it’s good but having to pay over list for a steel submariner is crazy
Submarinerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:14 AM   #12
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
All watches are available.

Yes it’s true! 5711, 15202, DaytonaC, etc.

You can get any one of them!

But wait, not at retail? What do you mean the Patek salon doesn’t have a 5711 to sell you for 24k? The grey market is asking 40k? Let’s all grab our pitchforks and head down to Geneva!

Yes, there are people who get them for retail now. Many of them are guys who drop 250k a year though at full MSRP and no complaints. Why do they get them 1st? Well it’s becasue they keep them in business and bring other great clientele.

So you have to pay about 20k for a DaytonaC? You do understand that the grey market dealers are paying just about that too? One of our trusted sellers told me he sold a new white 116500 to another dealer for 20k. What’s the problem?

I think that lots of “vocal” people are mad they can’t get in demand watches, yet many are not in demand customers. There are truly people out there, including some on this forum that like to throw a tantrum online when they can’t get something for MSRP and make instant money (sell or keep). Where were these same people when these watches were readily available few years ago, even at discount?

Regardless of the economy, the premier watchmakers are here to stay and so will their tactics to control their brands.All of them have adapted to pushing expensive items as a lure to sell you the hot SS. On the plus side, since the market is tighter controlled, value in the Pre-Owned market place has skyrocketed.

There is a serious shift in wealth the past few years, and there are a serious amount of people with $$$ who don’t care about discounts etc. There is a wave of new customers who are spending more in a year than their traditional clients did in a lifetime. Because of this, prices change. It will be like this unless we get a UFO attack and aliens are eating people in the streets

Sorry for adding another rant on TRF guys..... I’m just tired of the crying

Let’s not bring logic into this.....now where did I put my pitchfork???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:24 AM   #13
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
The wining does get old. Guess it is easy for me to agree with you as I am not interested in any of the current "hot" models, so have not tried to acquire one.

I have in the past wanted a hot model and did what I needed to do to get one--which usually meant paying over market value. Same with cars. If I want something bad enough, I am usually willing to pay the premium for it.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:47 AM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I’ve had all the new hot models and moved threw them already. Limited attention span and all...

But I can still empathize with those not able to purchase at MSRP.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 10:42 AM   #15
T4ME
"TRF" Member

This is interesting
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 11:02 AM   #16
Andad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I agree in theory, but when demand is driven up by manipulation, that’s a different story.
Please don't spoil the OP's thread with facts Wes.

Old 13 February 2018, 12:18 PM   #17
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Tweedle Dee - Tweedle Dum.
Word is the aliens are hitting Australia first
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 12:21 PM   #18
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I’ve had all the new hot models and moved threw them already. Limited attention span and all...
*Through*
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 12:24 PM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'm tired of the crying about the crying.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 12:30 PM   #20
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
A rant about ranting. Well done sir.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 12:32 PM   #21
Andad

Quote:
We are already here.......

Old 13 February 2018, 12:34 PM   #22
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I'm new to the vintage market and I have found whiners as well. First was a 6263 Daytona. Everyone was a tire kicker. Picking out all the flaws. Questioning things. I found a buyer and he paid the same night. Next morning one of the "whiners" was all upset. Said he would've paid more. Turned out he was actually buying on behalf of a client who already wired him funds. He was just trying to make a quick buck by acting like he was the buyer and trying to talk down the value of the watch.

Similar with an auction buy with some people in the trade. 1680. Bid was up to 10K. I came in at $12K towards the end. Everyone was questioning the integrity of my bid. And the ones unfamiliar with vintage Rolexes were all asking why the watch was going so high. Basically a big mess. Everyone wanted to whine and carry on.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 12:35 PM   #23
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
These days, what isn't there too much whining about?
Old 13 February 2018, 01:00 PM   #24
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I agree too. I spent over £150k at my AD and that’s why i get 5711, 5712 at retail prices. That’s how business works, i bought some not so hot watches also so it’s all relationship and give and take. People who whinge are the ones always going to ADs and asking for 35%+ discount or just buy used all the time and then they suddenly feel it’s “unfair” other people get it at retail LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 03:01 PM   #25
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
These days, what isn't there too much whining about?

Old 13 February 2018, 03:35 PM   #26
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
This isn’t relevant really but with the change you spend you could be an A list customer somewhere D. Not in SoCal maybe but just sayin!
Old 13 February 2018, 05:05 PM   #27
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
We're talking watches. Not oxygen.

Some people always need the latest and greatest, whatever the cost.
Old 13 February 2018, 07:19 PM   #28
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Quote:
In Australia and the UK a standard SUB of any variety is a hot must have can't get model. To one of the earlier comments, I paid US$20K in Australia for a mint second hand WG Sporting dial Daytona. I don't get what you would want to pay similar coin for a SS model with a ceramic bezel but each to his own.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 07:31 PM   #29
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
We're talking watches. Not oxygen.

Some people always need the latest and greatest, whatever the cost.
😂

I do agree with Wes though. This isn't just a matter of hot watches, there is a level of manipulation involved.
Part of the problem is actually "us"....we are so over excited about investment and future value, and resale value..."us" are out there flipping watches looking to sell for more than paid. So then the sellers adjust pricing as well, since you want to trade, sell or flip for high money.

We as enthusiast are full of a high percentage of flippers and people buying safe queens instead of actually buying to enjoy.
The problem is created by our state of affairs in this day, less production volume by the brand, rampant flippers, resellers, investors, and the guy who just wants the latest and greatest just to sell two months later, and the grey dealers who take advantage of the atmospheric conditions created by these events.

Best thing is be patient, if it's a new watch be more diligent in making calls, if it's out of production you are sol, pay to play or walk.

I've decided I want a SD4k, but if when I want to buy it they want to charge speculation tax and say something like $14k for a used watch, bye felicia, I'll just pick another watch, BLNR looks nice.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 07:35 PM   #30
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
��

I do agree with Wes though. This isn't just a matter of hot watches, there is a level of manipulation involved.
Part of the problem is actually "us"....we are so over excited about investment and future value, and resale value..."us" are out there flipping watches looking to sell for more than paid. So then the sellers adjust pricing as well, since you want to trade, sell or flip for high money.

We as enthusiast are full of a high percentage of flippers and people buying safe queens instead of actually buying to enjoy.
The problem is created by our state of affairs in this day, less production volume by the brand, rampant flippers, resellers, investors, and the guy who just wants the latest and greatest just to sell two months later, and the grey dealers who take advantage of the atmospheric conditions created by these events.

Best thing is be patient, if it's a new watch be more diligent in making calls, if it's out of production you are sol, pay to play or walk.

I've decided I want a SD4k, but if when I want to buy it they want to charge speculation tax and say something like $14k for a used watch, bye felicia, I'll just pick another watch, BLNR looks nice.
i agree and guilty as charged. Objectively the VC overseas (especially the new models) are killer watches. Simply awesome in the flesh with tons of little value add things like quick change strap system and extra included straps. It gets no love. Why? resale. People avoid absolutely spectacular watches and all chase the ones that we can sell later when we get bored without losing all our money. Thats not that many models out of the entire watch world that everyone is after. I dont even care about profit, i just dont want to lose half of my money.

Source: me... and why i dont have a VC overseas yet
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote