The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 December 2017, 04:07 AM   #31
duc888
"TRF" Member

If you want the mone...sell it. If it has any sentimental or symbolic value...keep it.
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:08 AM   #32
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
There’s only one question: why did you buy it? Have you been after one for a while, or was this a call from an AD whom you have a good relationship with? It seems as if you’re indifferent to owning it, and would prefer to make a profit. If that’s the case, sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:08 AM   #33
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Tell him you will sell for 20K and get back on the list ONLY if you really want the watch to wear. Sad part about my last statement is who knows if the others on the list really want the watch to wear, or flip? If you wont regret selling and like the profit I would sell it but only if he complies for 20k, 18k was unsolicited but 20k is on your terms!
Ballzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:08 AM   #34
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
Keep it... I was offered $2k to give up my "allocation" before I even bought the watch... I happily declined and am currently wearing my white dial DaytonaC right now... I can easily still sell it now, but would rather keep it.
This is kinda how I feel... I'm sitting in bed right now wearing it and the more I stare at it, the less I care about the money, & I'm someone that absolutely loves the dollar.

tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:14 AM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you love the watch that's nowhere near enough money to warrant selling, unless you need the cash.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:16 AM   #36
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I would of kept this decision personal. Many here have waited for a long time and not get the call and this can be taken as rubbing it in their face sort of speak.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:18 AM   #37
Dahl
"TRF" Member

I was in the same situation... Got my DaytonaC black in december 2016 from AD at retail. Kept it in the coffin for a couple of month trying to decide whether to keep or cash in. Eventually I decided take of the stickers and use it as my daily. I haven’t regretted it for an instance. The watch is fantastic and you won’t be able to get another at retail again any day soon. The watch keeps good value (I guess).
Dahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:20 AM   #38
wildcat465
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post

IDK what to do... $5,600 won't change my life at all, but turning an almost 50% profit overnight is just so hard to walk away from.
Not exactly true. It'll change your wallet by $5600. Take the money and run.
wildcat465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:24 AM   #39
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

For a great board, I've never seen so much negativity around anything like a Daytona, pretty amazing.

FWIW, I put in more work than anyone to get this watch. I've been in about 45-50 AD's pitching them to sell me one, I found an AD who promised me with his life he'll get me one in 2018 if I bought some other stuff off of him. Guess what? I bought a $17k two tone Sky-Dweller (which I just sold at a loss) and an Omega 60th Anniversary Speedmaster to appease him...

So the rubbing it in, or whatever negative comments anyone wants to throw out there - Go do what I did and you'll have one from an AD!! I could care less about those comments, with all due respect.
Old 29 December 2017, 04:26 AM   #40
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
For a great board, I've never seen so much negativity around anything like a Daytona, pretty amazing.

FWIW, I put in more work than anyone to get this watch. I've been in about 45-50 AD's pitching them to sell me one, I found an AD who promised me with his life he'll get me one in 2018 if I bought some other stuff off of him. Guess what? I bought a $17k two tone Sky-Dweller (which I just sold at a loss) and an Omega 60th Anniversary Speedmaster to appease him...

So the rubbing it in, or whatever negative comments anyone wants to throw out there - Go do what I did and you'll have one from an AD!! I could care less about those comments, with all due respect.
Are you a flipper generally?

Or do you buy and keep?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:29 AM   #41
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z blue Milgauss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
Be like everybody else you see posting them up ...

Just sad - Someone who really wanted it could have bought it for MSRP

Sorry just my thoughts
The OP clearly wants it. It's not his fault someone made him a tremendous offer for it.

I say let it go, try to get on the list again (might have to be another AD?), and buy yourself a nice bottle of scotch.

2016 Rolex Milgauss 116400GV Z-Blue
2015 Frederique Constant FC715H4S6 Manufacture Moon Phase
2015 Seiko SARG017
Buckeye4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:33 AM   #42
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:

negative? pfft, that's nothing.

you bought it. paid taxes on it. you now have questions. and you might sell it. so what?

had you put your name down and then took bids on it with never having intent of keeping it, then you'd likely experience some blowback but its your watch now. do as you please.

they're just watches.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:34 AM   #43
hitman23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
I would of kept this decision personal. Many here have waited for a long time and not get the call and this can be taken as rubbing it in their face sort of speak.
this

I really doubt anybody's opinion here would sway you either way from buying or selling.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:35 AM   #44
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Are you a flipper generally?

Or do you buy and keep?

I haven't been an owner for long enough to develop a defined persona. In the last 5 years, I've bought and sold a total of 7 watches, of which I still have 4. 2 sold were personal (one was owned for 3 or 4 years and the other I flipped in 4 months bc I didn't love it), the other sold was the aforementioned Sky-Dweller, and I'm sitting on this 1957 Speedmaster I bought off of this AD, undecided what I'm going to do with it. I've got it listed for sale, but I'm priced a little above the market with no intention of budging right now, so maybe I'll end up keeping.

IDK if I'm a flipper. I have a Sub that I love and could never see myself selling.
Old 29 December 2017, 04:36 AM   #45
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And this is why I'm shocked by this thread. Everything you did to get this watch at retail (and lets not forget the loss you took on the TT SD) - so the total profit is going to be less than the $5600.

I'm amazed that you are even thinking about selling it after having to buy other watches just to get this one.

I vote that you keep it - but I've had my white dial for close to a year now and still love it. The money is tempting but you worked hard to obtain this watch at retail. Why sell it now!

Best of luck with the decision.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:37 AM   #46
Jamesw20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Sell it. It’s not a gift or sentimental keepsake. Nearly $6000 which I’m assuming is in cash, which means like $10K otherwise earned. Put name on wait list for mother Daytona and use profit to either buy SO something or put towards hulk or BLNR.
Jamesw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:42 AM   #47
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
And this is why I'm shocked by this thread. Everything you did to get this watch at retail (and lets not forget the loss you took on the TT SD) - so the total profit is going to be less than the $5600.

I'm amazed that you are even thinking about selling it after having to buy other watches just to get this one.

I vote that you keep it - but I've had my white dial for close to a year now and still love it. The money is tempting but you worked hard to obtain this watch at retail. Why sell it now!

Best of luck with the decision.
This is where I am leaning more and more... It is just hard when someone texts you out of nowhere and basically says "here is some of the easiest money you'll ever make."

But when I think about it, it wasn't easy money... Most people have no clue how much work I put into this. It's on my wrist right now and making me so happy. The more I think about the more I feel this a keeper.
Old 29 December 2017, 04:42 AM   #48
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Hey Matt,,
Firstly congrats on getting the 500c and
secondly do whatever makes you happy buddy,,,
its your watch,,you put the miles in and paid good money,,,
its a gorgeous piece ,,,,,
very best of luck whatever you choose,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:50 AM   #49
Stros1965
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP, JLC, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
i don't think the market will bear this modern Rolex bull run much longer, and its clear your eye wanders.

for reference, see all the other hot watches over the past 10 years that spiked and then came down as the honeymoon wore off with more of the dreaded annual Basel-itis virus kicking in.

Milgauss GV
Sub-C
Exp 42
BB
BBB
Pelagos Lefty
SkyD

there's more, but i'm having cookies, which is distracting me.

sell it for the $18k and grab a 5D with the $5k. a SubLV for essentially $5k in that case that'll be worth $20k in 5 - 7 years. or even a 5d Daytona. park the cash there and see what happens.
If you think a subLV will be worth 20k in 5-7 years you will be waiting a longggg time.. its been in production for 7 years and no sign of slowing down. Probably will keep being manufactured until their next "anniversary".

I do think the Daytona will stay above MSRP indefinitely, mainly due to the fact its a Daytona and everyone has the perception now that all steel daytonas are more valuable than other Rolex models solely because of how much the paul newman sold for.

just my thoughts. :)
Stros1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 04:52 AM   #50
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stros1965 View Post
If you think a subLV will be worth 20k in 5-7 years you will be waiting a longggg time.. its been in production for 7 years and no sign of slowing down. Probably will keep being manufactured until their next "anniversary".

I do think the Daytona will stay above MSRP indefinitely, mainly due to the fact its a Daytona and everyone has the perception now that all steel daytonas are more valuable than other Rolex models solely because of how much the paul newman sold for.

just my thoughts. :)
subLV is not a sub-c LV.

i'm referring to the subLV 5D

Old 29 December 2017, 04:53 AM   #51
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is where I am leaning more and more... It is just hard when someone texts you out of nowhere and basically says "here is some of the easiest money you'll ever make."

But when I think about it, it wasn't easy money... Most people have no clue how much work I put into this. It's on my wrist right now and making me so happy. The more I think about the more I feel this a keeper.
I hear ya....the money is an easy option. I'm sure most Daytona C owners have thought about the easy money at one point.

No matter what you decide - I've enjoyed following your story trying to obtain the watch. it's been fun to follow along.

Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 05:01 AM   #52
Stros1965
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP, JLC, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
subLV is not a sub-c LV.

i'm referring to the subLV 5D

my apologies
Stros1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 05:07 AM   #53
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
I hear ya....the money is an easy option. I'm sure most Daytona C owners have thought about the easy money at one point.

No matter what you decide - I've enjoyed following your story trying to obtain the watch. it's been fun to follow along.

Thank you... Might as well update that one.
Old 29 December 2017, 05:07 AM   #54
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
i would of kept this decision personal. Many here have waited for a long time and not get the call and this can be taken as rubbing it in their face sort of speak.
x2. I put my name on a list summer of 2016 and have yet to receive“the call”.
Old 29 December 2017, 05:10 AM   #55
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don’t sweat the negative people! Lol. I hope u sell it for 30k! Lol. Who cares how many people are trying to buy the watch at retail!
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 05:16 AM   #56
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stros1965 View Post
my apologies
Old 29 December 2017, 05:23 AM   #57
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is kinda how I feel... I'm sitting in bed right now wearing it and the more I stare at it, the less I care about the money, & I'm someone that absolutely loves the dollar.

No longer nib
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 05:25 AM   #58
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
x2. I put my name on a list summer of 2016 and have yet to receive“the call”.
3x

Beat you, March 16 7am
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 05:33 AM   #59
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
3x

Beat you, March 16 7am
Old 29 December 2017, 05:35 AM   #60
slickrick68