The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 September 2018, 07:53 AM   #1
Paul7
Banned

1984 DJ Lumes

A question for the experts, I have a 1984 DJ 1603 that was my dad's, so a lot of sentimental value that I won't sell. Of course the lumes (if that's the right term) are long dead. My understanding is the lumes on the hands are an easy replacement but the lume dots at the end of the hour numeral sticks are difficult if not impossible to replace.

When talking to the jeweler who may be replacing the hand lumes he said it could negatively impact the value by having the hands but not the dots on the hour sticks replaced. Thoughts? Has anyone done this and how is the 'look'?

My older eyes could use the boost in dark conditions.

Strange how Rolex produced a watch with a part that would soon not function with no easy way to replace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1422.JPG (84.4 KB, 77 views)
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

That lume was as good as it got in the day. If they'd had lume that would last 100 years Rolex would have used it. It's probably a 16030 BTW.

There are several schools of thought on how to handle old Rolex. The Purists will send the Rolex police to your home should you dare touch a hair on it's silvery head. The sentimentalists will say leave it alone, that's how dad wore it, that's how it should remain. The gimlet eyed realists will say it's just a watch and should be as good as it can be (count Rolex in that crowd).

If you want a functional watch I would send it to an RSC and get the works including new dial and hands with luminova. You could also get the current dial and hands relumed with current luminova. That is not difficult to do.

You could try to chase down a different dial set that glows but that's a lot of trouble for unknown results.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 10:09 AM   #3
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
That lume was as good as it got in the day. If they'd had lume that would last 100 years Rolex would have used it. It's probably a 16030 BTW.

There are several schools of thought on how to handle old Rolex. The Purists will send the Rolex police to your home should you dare touch a hair on it's silvery head. The sentimentalists will say leave it alone, that's how dad wore it, that's how it should remain. The gimlet eyed realists will say it's just a watch and should be as good as it can be (count Rolex in that crowd).

If you want a functional watch I would send it to an RSC and get the works including new dial and hands with luminova. You could also get the current dial and hands relumed with current luminova. That is not difficult to do.

You could try to chase down a different dial set that glows but that's a lot of trouble for unknown results.
Thanks for the tips, Richard. I look at it as a restoration, when dad first got it, it had functioning lumes. So an RSC will have a dial and hands from that era I assume, or that at least look like it? Do you have any idea how long the current luminova will last? Have always liked the black dial, this might be the time to do both.
Old 16 September 2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

You could google luminova and super luminova for properties. RSC will have the dial and hands but I don't know if they are super luminova or not. A quick call to Dallas or NY RSC could answer that.

Be sure to post pics when you get it back!
Old 16 September 2018, 11:35 AM   #5
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
You could google luminova and super luminova for properties. RSC will have the dial and hands but I don't know if they are super luminova or not. A quick call to Dallas or NY RSC could answer that.

Be sure to post pics when you get it back!
Will do, sir.

Am also going to have Sand Hill in San Francisco take out the band stretch, can let you all know how that goes also if interested.
Old 16 September 2018, 03:18 PM   #6
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Of course. we live vicariously here. :)