The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 June 2016, 10:19 AM   #1
cuffman
"TRF" Member

vintage oyster

Hi,

I'm hoping for a little assistance in identifying this Rolex watch. I've attempted to photograph the watch without a lot of success. The pictures don't really do justice as what appears to be discolouration in some areas are actually shadows reflected onto the watch.

I am the second owner of the watch. It was bequeathed to me approximately 30 years ago. The original owner had received it for a 21st birthday gift in the early 1930's.

In the time I have owned the watch it has remained unused. It appears to be working correctly and over a 24 hour period seems to keep correct time.

I have attempted to research the watch and believe that 2941 is the model number and the 5 digit number is the serial number. I believe it is from 1930 to 1931. Does this seem about right.

Would this be called an Oyster Cushion style ?

Randles of Durban was the retailer. Was it common for a retailer to have there name on the dial, would this be done by Rolex and does this add or detract from any value?

The watch has had a life time of use but I believe it is an honest example. There are some small scratches on the glass and case. As mentioned most of what appears to be discolouration is down to my poor photography although there is a patch just above “Swiss Made”.

I know very little about watches, my collecting flied lies elsewhere but I understand that certain things, sometimes appearing quite minor to the uneducated can make an item more desirable.
Is there anything that jumps out about this example?

Any assistance or advice that you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Richard.
cuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2016, 06:01 PM   #2
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

It wasn't really common but some retailer dials from the period and later do exist.

I am big fan of retailer dials personally.

The watch I would say has had the hands replaced as they don't really go with the dial and though they were available at that time....they are truly more of a late 40's - early 60's type of hand. The luminous material in the original hands likely cracked out and someone said to heck with it or the radium ate the metal so bad they just fell apart.

Nice watch. Probably has a 10.5 H or 9 3/4 H movement. You'd have to have it opened to see and also the carat content in the gold.

Nothing really out of the ordinary here If it is 18k it's got some value with a little TLC and a set of hands.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2016, 03:29 AM   #3
cuffman
"TRF" Member

Thanks.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. You comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Richard.
cuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 04:46 PM   #4
deltabrent
"TRF" Member

I have a Randles Druban Oyster Royal I think is form 1943. I will post pics when I am allowed (new member).
deltabrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 07:57 AM   #5
deltabrent
"TRF" Member

deltabrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 04:11 PM   #6
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Cool wish we had a better dial shot :-)

See what you can do. Love the retailer dials...
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 10:27 AM   #7
sphinx77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Outstanding watch you have there, love the vintage 1930's.
sphinx77 is offline   Reply With Quote