The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 June 2016, 04:43 AM   #1
007vsMagua
"TRF" Member

My Dad's Rolex Watch

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum and I found this forum when I started doing research on my dad's watch.

My dad recently passed away at the age of 91 and I will inherit the Rolex watch pictured below after dad's estate is settled. Dad received this Rolex from my grandparents when he graduated from high school in 1943. Dad flew many bombing missions over Europe during WWII while wearing this watch as a bombardier. Dad wore this watch for many years after the war and I believe he retired it around 30 years ago because it had some condition and function issues. This watch is a family heirloom and will not be sold by me.

From the serial number on the back, 20006#?, I did determine that the watch was crafted in 1942. I did open the back cover and found the #2940 and when searching that number I did find a post by Christie's which looks like my dad's watch except it was dated 1945 and has different writing on the dial face.

Below are a couple of pictures. I have been in contact with a CMW21 watchman and will have the watch looked at when the estate is settled.

If anyone can share any information on this style of watch and its history I would really appreciate that.

Thank You,

_Dennis

007vsMagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 05:12 AM   #2
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Very nice. Take care of it !

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 05:23 AM   #3
speedolex
Banned

It's a classic Rolex bubbleback, was a very hot watch back in the 1980's when vintage first started to gain a strong following. I know, I was caught up in it, I owned this exact watch but in restored condition. California dial, Mercedes hands.

Today here in the middle of the oversized watch craze, a 31mm watch is considered too small for men, prices are depressed, the value of your dad's example is probably $1,900 so just take that into consideration based on what the repairs will cost. It's a family heirloom so that probably doesn't matter.

Google "Rolex bubbleback" and you'll learn more about them.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 05:43 AM   #4
007vsMagua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post
Very nice. Take care of it !
Thanks GeoGio, I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
It's a classic Rolex bubbleback, was a very hot watch back in the 1980's when vintage first started to gain a strong following. I know, I was caught up in it, I owned this exact watch but in restored condition. California dial, Mercedes hands.

Today here in the middle of the oversized watch craze, a 31mm watch is considered too small for men, prices are depressed, the value of your dad's example is probably $1,900 so just take that into consideration based on what the repairs will cost. It's a family heirloom so that probably doesn't matter.

Google "Rolex bubbleback" and you'll learn more about them.

I have seen the bubbleback term. It looks like I need to do more research on dials and hands. It's small and I think that's a good thing. I did take the watch to a pawn broker downtown and he new my dad and he thought it might be worth $1,500 if reconditioned. The watchman I've been in contact with said he would have the watch before him and look deep inside. He said he would give me some options on repair costs.
Old 13 June 2016, 06:11 AM   #5
Mark020
"TRF" Member

^^this. And: the dial is redone
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2016, 06:39 AM   #6
007vsMagua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
^^this. And: the dial is redone
The dial is redone?
Old 13 June 2016, 07:43 AM   #7
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Repainted so it did not leave the factory this way.
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2016, 04:53 AM   #8
007vsMagua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
Repainted so it did not leave the factory this way.
Are you talking about the dial face or the Mercedes hands?
Old 15 June 2016, 08:15 AM   #9
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007vsMagua View Post
Are you talking about the dial face or the Mercedes hands?
The dial face (salmon colored).
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2016, 12:45 AM   #10
007vsMagua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
The dial face (salmon colored).
I'm sure dad never had the dial face repainted. I believe the dial has darkened because the seal was broken a long time ago and the face has oxidized.

Speedolex posted above that the value of the watch is around $1,900 and I'm not sure he means in its current condition or what the watch would be valued after being repaired. I've been in contact with a jewelry store who is suppose to employ a CWM21 watch technician and was told that the watch in its current state is probably worth $1,900.
Old 16 June 2016, 12:48 AM   #11
Cbir
"TRF" Member

Even if the dial was redone (looks like oxidation), it's still a classic. Plus it was your dad's piece and holds a lot of importance to you personall. That's something you can't (nor should you) put a price tag on.
Cbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2016, 01:26 AM   #12
007vsMagua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbir View Post
Even if the dial was redone (looks like oxidation), it's still a classic. Plus it was your dad's piece and holds a lot of importance to you personall. That's something you can't (nor should you) put a price tag on.
As I mentioned above we are in the process of settling dad's estate and as I am the oldest of eight children and executor of the estate, I need to have some idea of its value in fairness to my other 7 siblings as the estate is going to be divided equally between the 8 of us. I'm sure our lawyer would like to know what its value is before we settle after the new year comes.
Old 16 June 2016, 04:34 AM   #13
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007vsMagua View Post

Speedolex posted above that the value of the watch is around $1,900 and I'm not sure he means in its current condition or what the watch would be valued after being repaired. I've been in contact with a jewelry store who is suppose to employ a CWM21 watch technician and was told that the watch in its current state is probably worth $1,900.
What I said (or thought I said) is that based on current market prices, a clean and restored version of your watch would command $1,900 at a retail storefront. If you were to sell it in that condition you'd expect to collect $1,300. Small watches are not in style right now, you are not sitting on a potential goldmine, it would be hard to find a buyer.

In the condition it is currently in, I don't think anyone would buy it. To get it back up to a $1,900 value for which you'd collect $1,300 it's probably going to cost you $1,000 in parts and labor.

My advice to you: Keep it as a family heirloom, get it serviced and keeping good time by a trusted watchmaker for $250, don't redo the dial or anything else, let the beat up condition tell dad's story, put a nice leather strap on it, and pass it down to future generations. $1,300 divided by 8 heirs is $163 per person. I'm sure they'll be okay in letting it go to the eldest grandchild or something similar.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2016, 05:26 AM   #14
007vsMagua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
What I said (or thought I said) is that based on current market prices, a clean and restored version of your watch would command $1,900 at a retail storefront. If you were to sell it in that condition you'd expect to collect $1,300. Small watches are not in style right now, you are not sitting on a potential goldmine, it would be hard to find a buyer.

In the condition it is currently in, I don't think anyone would buy it. To get it back up to a $1,900 value for which you'd collect $1,300 it's probably going to cost you $1,000 in parts and labor.

My advice to you: Keep it as a family heirloom, get it serviced and keeping good time by a trusted watchmaker for $250, don't redo the dial or anything else, let the beat up condition tell dad's story, put a nice leather strap on it, and pass it down to future generations. $1,300 divided by 8 heirs is $163 per person. I'm sure they'll be okay in letting it go to the eldest grandchild or something similar.

I'm planning on keeping the watch as mentioned above and in fairness to my brothers and sisters the value needs to be determined to settle our estate.

I have been in contact with a Jeweler in Dayton, Ohio and they value the watch at $1,900 in its current condition based on more pictures I've sent to them that I don't want to post here (personal information). Spending $1,000 to have it working good again is doable. Having the crystal replaced, a good cleaning, replace the crown as the seal is most likely bad, and other weather protection needs will not take away from its history or character, and will be a working watch for others to inherit.
Old 16 June 2016, 06:03 AM   #15
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Cool bubbleback! Enjoy! I bought a 2940 with a minty original dial on this forum within the last six months for less than $1500. The market on small watches is quite soft, these days, but I think they're still very nice.
Old 16 February 2019, 07:10 PM   #16
RB32
"TRF" Member

woowww.!! just woow!
RB32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:46 PM   #17
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB32 View Post
woowww.!! just woow!
Holy 3 year bump Batman!