The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 September 2018, 08:19 AM   #1
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Hey Tudor Sub Experts

I need some help, I am fighting a case with Paypal where I bought a Tudor 7016 which had a refinished dial.

I bought the sub knowing it needed a dial (I have one I can use) but the watch arrived with both wrong movement and wrong caseback. Watch has a Tudor / ETA 2784, rather than the 2483 supposed to come with a 7016. And it has a caseback that is either: wrong (not engraved for a 7016) and weight does not match other 7016 casebacks (off by a few grams) I have measured against.

Now more than a few of you know I am fairly, cough cough, knowledgeable on these but I need to show an unbiased, third party, review (on company letterhead) on this in order to complete my claim.

Any suggestions on whom to contact?
Old 14 September 2018, 08:23 AM   #2
05carbondrz
Banned

A SNAD(Significantly not as described) Claim was not enough?
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 08:37 AM   #3
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

I have to prove that a 7016 does not have a 2784 movement (should be a 2483) and that the caseback should read 7016, not be blank.

So I am looking for suggestions on what firm, familiar enough with vintage, I can get to document what I already know.
Old 14 September 2018, 08:45 AM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
No dealer or auction house contact you know being able to spare a minute or two to say the parts are wrong? Guessing you bought the watch ”correct” as the owner weren’t able to provide pics?

You don’t have any Tudor litterature for this? Could perhaps be enough.

Unfortunately I am only a collector so my opinion is probably pretty useless even if I could offer my help.

Best of luck!
Old 14 September 2018, 08:47 AM   #5
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
No dealer or auction house contact you know being able to spare a minute or two to say the parts are wrong? Guessing you bought the watch ”correct” as the owner weren’t able to provide pics?

Unfortunately I am only a collector so my opinion is probably pretty useless even if I could offer my help.

Best of luck!

I am reaching out to a couple people and may have one that will do it - funny thing is they reach out to me on 60s-80s Tudor subs when they want to know if correct or not .
Old 14 September 2018, 08:49 AM   #6
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
I am reaching out to a couple people and may have one that will do it - funny thing is they reach out to me on 60s-80s Tudor subs when they want to know if correct or not .
Simple way for your friends to pay back the favor then. It’s not really about knowledge. Paypal just need an authority to trust.
Old 14 September 2018, 09:44 AM   #7
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
How about ABC or LA or Michael Young?

They all work with enough of them they could probably draft something for you.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:50 AM   #8
05carbondrz
Banned

I’ve never had to “prove” anything to Paypal,You just file the claim and the Seller always has to take the Item back(been on both sides of the Fence with this).This must be something new or only with Watches or something.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 02:00 PM   #9
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear John. U have always been helpful on this n other forums. I don’t have the capacity, but maybe David aka frogman4me can help. He is also a Tudor expert n dealer. He is one of the most helpful dealers around. Good luck.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:56 PM   #10
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Why not ask seller for $900 back? There is a snowflake caseback on eBay right now. Maybe the date is in the ballpark? The movement is likely worth a couple hundred. The back is the trouble. This may be your best bet.

Out of curiousity, what was the price of the watch with a bad dial?
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 02:01 AM   #11
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Why not ask seller for $900 back? There is a snowflake caseback on eBay right now. Maybe the date is in the ballpark? The movement is likely worth a couple hundred. The back is the trouble. This may be your best bet.

Out of curiousity, what was the price of the watch with a bad dial?

I did for 2.5 months ;)

I gave seller ample opportunities to resolve but he kept blowing me off. His last email said he would be out of town for enough time to get a ast PayPal resolution windows
Old 15 September 2018, 02:20 AM   #12
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
If seller is a watch dealer, or someone that should have known better, then just reverse it and say it has too many fake parts. Trouble is that you are much more knowledgable than your ordinary seller. However, you know these watches and the fake components. Do you get a sense that he had a good midcase and then added in a fake dial, incorrect movement and aftermkt back?
How is the bezel and insert? I usually find that the insert and bezel is a flag when you see watches comprised of a pool of mixn match parts.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 02:45 AM   #13
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
I did for 2.5 months ;)

I gave seller ample opportunities to resolve but he kept blowing me off. His last email said he would be out of town for enough time to get a ast PayPal resolution windows
So he knows exactly what he's doing...

Get the transaction reversed.

Then, when he comes crying back, you can negotiate what he will be paid at that point.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 05:25 AM   #14
htbilgic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Doxa Pro 300 NoT
It sounds like the seller knows what he's doing and tries to rip you off. I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with this.

It also seems like PayPal only wants to see someone with some authority to approve your claims. If you have a watchmaker that you work with frequently, he can probably prepare a letter for you. Or, you can try your chance with different PayPal representatives. I learned that if you call PayPal 2 times, you receive 3 different responses. Lastly, when you talk to a PayPal representative next time, keep your comments at higher level. They typically have no idea what you're talking about if you start saying things, such as "the crown is wrong," or "the movement is Tudor, but from another model." Just tell the rep the watch is not described, has the wrong movement, and you would like to return it for full refund. If all fails with PayPal, your last step is to tell them that you'll contact your credit card company if PayPal fails to address this issue immediately.

Good luck!
htbilgic is offline   Reply With Quote