The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 October 2009, 11:21 PM   #1
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Planet Ocean AR Coating

Im looking into getting a Planet Ocean as my "Daily Driver". I love the way it looks and I think its a great watch for the money. However, the more Ive been reading the more im getting worried about the AR coating. I dont want to spend 3k on a watch only to have the face look like crap after a few months of wearing it. I know some people have just taken the outer layer off with Polywatch, but Im sure its hard to do without getting any on the bezel. Does anyone have any pics of their crystal after a year or more of wearing it? Who has had major issues with this and who hasnt? If its a big issue I may just save up a little more and get another Rolex. When I spend that kind of money, I dont want to have to worry about something like that.....
Old 30 October 2009, 12:23 AM   #2
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I've had a Planet Ocean for almost two years. This issue of A/R coating and scratches is totally overblown in my opinion. One of the pitfalls of reading too much on the internet.

I actually PREFER the A/R coating. Gives off a unique blue tint that you don't see in other watches and the crystal just disappears into the dial. If I had a choice, I'd have it put on all my divers!

As to scratches, I don't have any. I'm sure you'll get some posts which indicate that they have scratches. But, seriously, I think

1) the occurrences are few and far between

2) even if there are scratches ( which i highly doubt you'd get), those guys probably dive alot and/or knock around watches quite a bit more than the usual sport watch wearer ( which is fine, of course)

3) even if you have them, i'd bet they're very hard to see. you'd have to get a loupe....or try really hard to see them.

Bottom line: I don't really see an issue. The issue of scratches is irrelevant in my opinion. The issue I see with A/R coating is occasional smudges, but I don't care. It's still a fantastic watch.
warrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2009, 02:56 AM   #3
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the positive feedback! Any others?
Old 30 October 2009, 03:06 AM   #4
iwantagmt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Been wearing my PO daily for 4 months...it has gotten banged against metal shelving frequently at work but zero scratches of any kind. I love it! I like the way the ar coating looks and how often you can't even see the crystal!

I work at borders and one day I scraped the crystal in a sliding motion against the bottom of a shelf...made a terrible sound but no scratch whatsoever! Its much more durable than is reported!
iwantagmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2009, 04:01 AM   #5
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

Good to hear. My AD just got in two for me to take a look at today or tomorrow. Im looking at the all black and the black with orange numerals. Going to go with the bracelet and the rubber strap either way I go.
Old 30 October 2009, 04:25 AM   #6
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Owned a PO Chrono for less than 6 months and scratched it. It was subtle, but definitely there. If you're like me that can't stand scratches on your crystal, you might have a problem if you scratch it (I can take scratches on the case and bracelet all day long...but I NEED a perfect crystal).

In the AR coating defense, I do believe it's extremely durable and not as scratch-prone as some my lead you to believe...and when it does scratch, it's very minor (you would be hard pressed to find my scratch unless I pointed it out to you...and even then you had to tilt the watch just right to have the light show it)...but nevertheless, it was still scratched, I knew about it and couldn't get it out of my head.

My brother-in-law has a newer Omega that he also scratched (and he's a damn investment banker...so you can imagine the watch doesn't necessarily experience 'demanding' elements every day). He's furious because the little scratch drives him crazy.

All that said, if you really love the watch, I wouldn't let something as minor as AR coating turn you off a watch. The way I figure, if I love a watch, the AR coating is minor. If the watch gets really scratched up months or years down the road, you can always remove it or have it replaced. Also, everyone loves to hone in on the few cases like mine that get scratched...but what about the hundreds/thousands of owners that never scratch the lens. It's not pre-determined that you'll scratch your watch...so buy it, use it and don't worry about 'what if' scenarios.

In the big scheme of things, this is a very minor issue IMO. Buy the watch if you love the look & feel, don't let possible AR scratches turn you off.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2009, 04:30 AM   #7
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00pumpkin View Post
Im looking at the all black and the black with orange numerals. Going to go with the bracelet and the rubber strap either way I go.
That's the one I had. I too had the bracelet and black rubber strap (w/ orange stitching). I loved the look of the black dial & bezel w/ just the hint of orange (although they looked red to me) numerals. The black rubber/red stitching looked awesome IMO w/ that watch head setup...I ended up only wearing the rubber strap and never put the bracelet on (which speaks very highly of the band as I'm a bracelet kind of guy that doesn't usually really like straps). Let us know what you decide.
Old 30 October 2009, 08:08 PM   #8
Ultraman
"TRF" Member

I had mine for 7 months..no problems with the AR coating.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 01:38 AM   #9
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
I've had mine for over a year, and it's taken several (unintentional) pretty good licks on the crystal, with nary a scratch showing, no matter how I tilt it.

Overall it's been a fine watch, keeps great time, and looks great on both bracelet and strap. Be advised, though: that bracelet is *solid*, and so the watch is correspondingly heavy with it on, but it totally changes the look of the watch.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 05:04 AM   #10
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Had a planet ocean for a little over 6 months, NO scratch on outside AR coating.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 07:54 AM   #11
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys!

I ended up getting one today. I got the black bezel with the orange numerals. I will get a rubber strap for it later, love the bracelet for now. Its a solid watch. Ill post up my thoughts about it after wearing it for awhile. Its a good bit heavier than my Rolex GMT.
Old 31 October 2009, 07:57 AM   #12
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Love the bracelet... It's my favorite part of the PO. It has enough heft but is svelte!

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 08:30 AM   #13
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00pumpkin View Post
Thanks guys!

I ended up getting one today. I got the black bezel with the orange numerals. I will get a rubber strap for it later, love the bracelet for now. Its a solid watch. Ill post up my thoughts about it after wearing it for awhile. Its a good bit heavier than my Rolex GMT.
Nice...congrats.
Old 31 October 2009, 10:40 AM   #14
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
Love the bracelet... It's my favorite part of the PO. It has enough heft but is svelte!
It's certainly a bracelet with a lot of presence. It looks incredible.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 11:22 PM   #15
mrmilo
"TRF" Member

Coating...

Had mine right at a year; no issues at all with the coating.
mrmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2009, 06:30 PM   #16
toptime
"TRF" Member

i have my Orange PO for 6months have no problem with the coating, i guess its depend on the person.
toptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2009, 06:21 AM   #17
fazman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss blue
I just sold my PO because the scrathes drove me crazy. Outside of that it is a great watch...except it was 9 seconds slow per day...outside of COSC range. Fit and finsh is superb though...I had the 42 MM size with 7 5/8 wrist...nice fit to my wrist. If it were not for the cystal, i would have kept it.
fazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2009, 11:15 AM   #18
WJGESQ
Banned

Had you attempted to have the watch "regulated"?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2009, 11:29 AM   #19
fazman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss blue
PO crystal issues

No I did not have it regualted...that didn't bother me as much as the crystal...I thought about having it serviced but knew the scratches would return once I started wearing it after returned from service. It seems most people don't have this issue, but I have collected watches for 20 years and I have never had a scratch on mineral or sapphire crystals...even a 20 year old swiss army that I use as a rugged tool watch. (the scratches of course are on the coating, not the crysal) Having said all that, I still feel it is a well made watch. The exterior AR coating makes the crystal seem to disappear and give a slight blue tint that makes the watch look special. You may want to get a preowned one and have the AR exterior coating professionally removed. The bracelet is beautiful and easy to operate.
fazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2009, 04:42 PM   #20
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
I don't have a PO, but have a Breitling Chrono Avenger. It is a daily wearer, and I bang it against doors, walls you name it, and no scratches on the AR coating.

It does have battle scars (scuffs) on the Titanium case and bezel.
Old 11 November 2009, 10:22 PM   #21
Lol-x
Facilitator

Breitling is reputed to have almost the best AR coating in the business, at least reputedly better than Omega

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote