The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 19 November 2013, 01:54 PM   #1
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Self regulating the speedmaster

Hi all,

My speedie is running a little fast, what is the position to place it at night to slow it down a touch? Also does using the chronometer on slow the pace at all?

I try to keep it fully wound. I know it will probably just need a service but until then any tips on self-regulating the movement?

Thanks!

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2013, 01:31 AM   #2
gtuck
"TRF" Member

I don't have a Speedy but do have an SMPc and several others of different makes. Each handles night time positioning differently. One loses time with the crown up, one sitting vertically with the 12 at top, another in the same position with the 6 at top, etc. Unless you have a timegrapher, the best way is to experiment. Keep a log and check your Speedy against an accurate source like time.gov or the naval observatory (http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/time/d...cks/simpletime) and keep a log. Since your watch may vary a bit each night, I'd try each of the six positions for a few days before coming to a conclusion. As far as winding goes, the advice I've always heard is to wind it once fully the same time every day. I wind my 6498-2 when I get up in the morning.

Letting the chronograph run may slow the watch a bit--I don't know. But it should run down the power reserve faster--I think.

Have fun!
gtuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Sous
"TRF" Member

Hey, Greg.

My 861 is running about +2.7 seconds per day, which is pretty good, considering it was serviced three years ago. I reset the time on November 3 and it's gained 38 seconds. I leave the watch dial up when I take it off.

Dial up should gain some seconds; crown up should lose some seconds, and crown down should lose more seconds.

And from what I understand, when you run the chronograph, the hands only go along for a ride on the movement, so it does use some power from the mainspring, but not too much.

A Speedmaster owner on another forum did an experiment, and came up with these results:

START 8/25/12 @1139. 861 with chronograph running ran for 43 hours and 14 minutes. 321 w/o chrono running is at 48hrs12min and is -2 sec. I will reverse the roles when the 321 stops. More to follow.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/gre...nt-740985.html

Hope this helps

Edited to add: I use my chrono function for about an hour in the morning, and maybe another couple of times during the day.
Sous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2013, 02:51 PM   #4
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Thanks for the info Paul!

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote