joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
No issue
Old 13 November 2018, 04:03 AM   #33
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
You either have a full set or you do not have a full set. If ever you want to sell the watch, then it is nice to be able to honestly say that has the full set. The older the watch is, the more important/valuable the full set is.

In my opinion anyone who claims that a watch has a full set when items such as the hang tag are missing is not being honest.

It is worth noting that there are nice to have items that are not considered part of a full set, such as bezel protectors and shipping coffins.

It is up to you, the buyer to decide. Do you want a full set, or not? If not, then you can probably ask for a discount compared to a watch that has a full set.
Old 13 November 2018, 07:14 AM   #34
R!$
Banned

Do you wear the hang tag and watch together?
Old 13 November 2018, 07:50 AM   #35
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi op.

Buy a tag on ebay.
He's referring to the model/serial tag, not the chronometer tag.
Old 14 November 2018, 02:31 AM   #36
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman36 View Post
about to buy an Explorer II from a trusted seller. it's a complete set except for the hang tag with the serial number. How big of deal is not having the one tag.

I was in the same position as you on the three occasions I purchased a Rolex from a Grey Dealer in the north of England it had the full set except for the hang tag with the serial number & price but I didn’t bother me I was getting the Watches’s for fantastic prices so who needs a hang tag. This is a photo of my latest purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 November 2018, 03:34 AM   #37
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
He's referring to the model/serial tag, not the chronometer tag.
I know. He would have to buy a blank one. Better than nothing.
Old 14 November 2018, 03:39 AM   #38
Seibei
Banned

A blank hang tag is worthless.
Old 14 November 2018, 03:54 AM   #39
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Better than nothing for the op if he really wants one.
Old 14 November 2018, 03:59 AM   #40
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
You seem to really be strong minded on the little white hang tag. Tell me, is it more important than the watch? What if certain AD's choose to keep the white tag for inventory reasons? Would you cancel a deal on a new watch over this?
Old 14 November 2018, 04:00 AM   #41
Donnyal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
who cares about the hang tag.
Lol straight up, who cares mate?
Old 14 November 2018, 04:03 AM   #42
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Well in the real world so is the dealer hand tag as its only mainly a dealer administration inventory stock tag and many end up in the bin at point of sale.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 14 November 2018, 04:31 AM   #43
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
You seem to really be strong minded on the little white hang tag. Tell me, is it more important than the watch? What if certain AD's choose to keep the white tag for inventory reasons? Would you cancel a deal on a new watch over this?
The hang tag is in itself of no great importance. The trouble is that without it you do not have a full set. If the AD refused to give me the tag, then I would consider cancelling a deal. Whether I cancelled it or not would depend on how badly I wanted the watch. If I did go ahead with the deal and did not receive the full set then I would be very annoyed, to put it mildly.

And let me say that insisting on keeping a plastic hang tag for "inventory reasons" is ridiculous. They don't have a piece of paper to write on or a computer? They keep the tag because they are afraid that the buyer will flip the watch.

I have the Rolex watch that I want. If I ever decide to buy another, then believe me, it will be my way or the highway. I am not going to compromise when I am buying a watch that costs the same as a decent used car. If the dealer will not give me all the items that are meant to come with my watch, then he can keep it.
Old 14 November 2018, 04:34 AM   #44
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well in the real world so is the dealer hand tag as its only mainly a dealer administration inventory stock tag and many end up in the bin at point of sale.
In the real world having the full set is important. In some circumstances the importance is not great, while in others it can mean in a great deal. The difference between having a full set and not having it could easily be many thousands of $.
Old 14 November 2018, 05:10 AM   #45
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
In the real world having the full set is important. In some circumstances the importance is not great, while in others it can mean in a great deal. The difference between having a full set and not having it could easily be many thousands of $.
Only to the fools willing to pay and any idiot like you state willing to pay many thousands for a useless bit of plastic must be sixpence short of a shilling, the dealer tag has nothing to do with the watch its mainly for dealer admin.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 14 November 2018, 05:31 AM   #46
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Only to the fools willing to pay and any idiot like you state willing to pay many thousands for a useless bit of plastic must be sixpence short of a shilling, the dealer tag has nothing to do with the watch its mainly for dealer admin.
To each his own, and thank you for your frankly expressed opinions.
Old 14 November 2018, 05:50 AM   #47
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
To each his own, and thank you for your frankly expressed opinions.
Get over the hangtag please, its painful to read, no one cares. I had the AD toss it in front of me along with stickers. Hangtag is NOT a requirement for a complete set and yes it would be foolish for someone to pay more or even take it into consideration when buying the watch.
Old 14 November 2018, 06:05 AM   #48
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Get over the hangtag please, its painful to read, no one cares. I had the AD toss it in front of me along with stickers. Hangtag is NOT a requirement for a complete set and yes it would be foolish for someone to pay more or even take it into consideration when buying the watch.
May I add that BNIB watches from DavidSW have NO white hang tags included. He still sells them for market price regardless.
Old 14 November 2018, 06:10 AM   #49
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
May I add that BNIB watches from DavidSW have NO white hang tags included. He still sells them for market price regardless.
I don't understand why people get hung over about trash, literally things that are thrown away, are actually designed to be thrown away like stickers, hangtags, coffins, styrofoam, outer boxes etc. I know we are enthusiasts but how does any of this crap add value or enjoyment to watch?
Old 14 November 2018, 06:56 AM   #50
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

My AD lets me go all the way to the shipping box that it came in, but now they say they have to remove the tape before I leave the store.
Old 14 November 2018, 08:03 AM   #51
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Hi op.

Buy a tag on ebay.
It is no good. The original white hangtag has the watch´s serial number. My AD normally keeps them stamped to the invoice for his records and I had to fight like hell to get mine.
Old 14 November 2018, 08:05 AM   #52
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't understand why people get hung over about trash, literally things that are thrown away, are actually designed to be thrown away like stickers, hangtags, coffins, styrofoam, outer boxes etc. I know we are enthusiasts but how does any of this crap add value or enjoyment to watch?
You know why ? because those lucky few that have had appraisals done on their watches 50 years later discovered that a lot of value was put on all the papers and original stuff that came with the watch.
Old 14 November 2018, 08:27 AM   #53
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Old 14 November 2018, 08:28 AM   #54
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
You know why ? because those lucky few that have had appraisals done on their watches 50 years later discovered that a lot of value was put on all the papers and original stuff that came with the watch.
Yes, that makes sense 50 years ago when the watch was less produced and it may have been more common for the hang tag or price tag to come with the watch say a GMT Master 1675 or 6542. It will help with the appraisal since that was a complete set then. In today's mass produced environment the hang tag is not part of a complete set. If you plan on auctioning your watch 50 years later and think the hang tag will add some more returns when the hammer drops (I don't think it will since they are now mass produced), all the power to you. I wouldn't stress about it or "fight like hell" to get one.
Old 14 November 2018, 08:29 AM   #55
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
The lack of a hang tag is a non issue. If everything else is good, buy the watch and enjoy :)
Old 14 November 2018, 09:46 AM   #56
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I just check my last 4 new Rolex models purchased recently from DavidSW, Tony, Takuya, etc. all had the white hang tags as part of the complete set. I wonder if it will matter as much in another year since some dealers are now not giving them. I think I would have purchased all of these without the white tag and just took the risk later if In traded them.

My latest CHNR with a warranty card stamped OCT 2018 from a Beverly Hills AD also has the white tags.

Old 14 November 2018, 10:16 AM   #57
Rilz
"TRF" Member

That shouldn't be a problem you are not wearing the Hang Tag but if you don't feel comfortable without it then you should move on.
Old 14 November 2018, 11:31 AM   #58
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
The title of this thread sounded like something from my Chinese take-out place.
Old 14 November 2018, 11:45 AM   #59
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon7

I just pulled out the box that my 16610 came in when I bought it new. It did come with the serial numbered hang tag. I'm happy about that and I'm sure I would've been disappointed had it not been there.

Randy
Old 14 November 2018, 12:06 PM   #60
LazySumday
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread