The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Old 13 November 2018, 09:52 AM   #511
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Congrats.

But fact UPS have not provided some explanation or basis for payout is concerning. Guess they don't adhere to the adage that there is no such thing as bad publicity. I still think the culprit was someone working at the UPS Store and their lack of explanation supports that conclusion.

I will never use UPS for shipping valuable items.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 11:30 AM   #512
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Any4xx View Post
Tense, but satisfactory ending. Sad that UPS dragged it out for so long though.
...Satisfactory..to a point, that being you received your refund.. So I presume you're in the hunt for a replacement..!?

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 11:39 AM   #513
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
...Satisfactory..to a point, that being you received your refund.. So I presume you're in the hunt for a replacement..!?
He wasn't the buyer. That was Helo008 who bought another example of the watch shortly after filing the claim.
Old 13 November 2018, 11:49 AM   #514
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
He wasn't the buyer. That was Helo008 who bought another example of the watch shortly after filing the claim.
..K.. So long as it worked out for the OP...-!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 08:31 PM   #515
bonatto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william21 View Post
Unfortunately, I am still very suspect as to what went down and wish I had done more due diligence and vetting.
Are you insinuating that the OP had something to do with the alleged theft?
bonatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 04:30 PM   #516
william21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PO 2201.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonatto View Post
Are you insinuating that the OP had something to do with the alleged theft?
Yes.
william21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 09:56 PM   #517
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by william21 View Post
Yes.
I think you're making a scurrilous accusation here to cover up your fault in your extremely poor security practices at the shipper. UPS would not have paid out if they had any suspicion that the OP stole the watch. They paid because they found their process at fault.

I also don't think you would have budged off your stubborn finger pointing had the OP not taken you to court. You made up your mind it was his fault, or his crime, then you sat on your hands. I don't get the impression from your posts that you would have done the stand up thing if not forced to do so.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 10:05 PM   #518
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabaang View Post
I didn't read the thread, what are the lessons learned here so that others can be careful?
See post #55. The seller went to a UPS Store, told them the make and model of the watch, and insured it for a lot of money.

The UPS Store isn't UPS. It's a local franchise consignment outfit. When you ship through them, they are the shipper with UPS, not you, which complicates everything if something goes wrong.

So the seller told the minimum wage crew kids there is something hugely valuable in this box and trusted them to be on their best behavior.

Lessons learned. Ship directly with the courier service. Don't tell them there is a Rolex in the box. Call it precision instrumentation and insure for watch value.
Old 14 November 2018, 11:35 PM   #519
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I think you're making a scurrilous accusation here to cover up your fault in your extremely poor security practices at the shipper. UPS would not have paid out if they had any suspicion that the OP stole the watch. They paid because they found their process at fault.

I also don't think you would have budged off your stubborn finger pointing had the OP not taken you to court. You made up your mind it was his fault, or his crime, then you sat on your hands. I don't get the impression from your posts that you would have done the stand up thing if not forced to do so.
There may be more here than we all know about. The OP started this thread on June 13th. I am not sure of the exact time line of shipment etc. But here the OP supposedly bought another identical watch on or around June 16th.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...51#post8680551

To me this seems a little odd to say the least that the OP didnt wait at all for this scenario to develop a little bit before buying another identical watch. Maybe all legit but to me is suspicious.

Then on June 15th he gives vinceb a good guy review in the who's who section which is 2 days after his initial post. I think a picture of a partial serial number would clear things up in my mind of his current watch.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...70#post8679270

Would be easy enough to contact vinceb to see if this did in fact happen. Again not accusing anyone of anything, just following the time line here since the OP is a newer member with limited posts and this empty Rolex box is a fairly well know scam thats been happening.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 12:31 AM   #520
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

this thread keeps giving haha what is next now ??
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 01:29 AM   #521
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
Wow major lessons learned. i suspect UPS saw something on the camera footage with the employees after checking. looks like OP has stopped responding despite the latest insinuation. Glad it worked out
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 01:52 AM   #522
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
There may be more here than we all know about. The OP started this thread on June 13th. I am not sure of the exact time line of shipment etc. But here the OP supposedly bought another identical watch on or around June 16th.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...51#post8680551

To me this seems a little odd to say the least that the OP didnt wait at all for this scenario to develop a little bit before buying another identical watch. Maybe all legit but to me is suspicious.

Then on June 15th he gives vinceb a good guy review in the who's who section which is 2 days after his initial post. I think a picture of a partial serial number would clear things up in my mind of his current watch.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...70#post8679270

Would be easy enough to contact vinceb to see if this did in fact happen. Again not accusing anyone of anything, just following the time line here since the OP is a newer member with limited posts and this empty Rolex box is a fairly well know scam thats been happening.
The OP called the police, posted this thread, cooperated with an investigation, and took the seller to court. None of these are scammer actions. All are something you'd do if you were cheated and took appropriate action to get your money back.

No one can speak to how other people choose to spend their money, or how impatient someone might be to own a watch, so I don't think it's fair to insinuate the OP is a criminal because he moved on quicker than you or I might have.

OTOH, the seller hid out until he had both the OP's money and the insurance claim money in hand, then complained that he had to answer for the OP's loss to a judge.
Old 15 November 2018, 03:27 AM   #523
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabaang View Post
I didn't read the thread, what are the lessons learned here so that others can be careful?

Clearly the lesson learned is seller should NEVER bring a watch and let them package it. That was not smart at all. Seller is very fortunate to get his money back. At the end of they day seller is responsible to make sure the watch reaches to the buyer. If all fails then seller deal with insurance.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 03:39 AM   #524
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
At the end of they day seller is responsible to make sure the watch reaches to the buyer.
Assuming everyone is being honest, which unfortunately is not always the case.
Old 15 November 2018, 06:22 AM   #525
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Assuming everyone is being honest, which unfortunately is not always the case.
Buy the seller. Vet the buyer. It’s a two way street on scammers. In this case, I don’t think either was dishonest.

Shippers don’t need to know there is a Rolex in the box. Shipping a Rolex is almost as risky as mailing large sums of cash. The seller here was extremely careless announcing to the world what was in the package.
Old 15 November 2018, 06:41 AM   #526
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Buy the seller. Vet the buyer. It’s a two way street on scammers. In this case, I don’t think either was dishonest.

Shippers don’t need to know there is a Rolex in the box. Shipping a Rolex is almost as risky as mailing large sums of cash. The seller here was extremely careless announcing to the world what was in the package.
to everything
Old 15 November 2018, 07:00 AM   #527
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtecko View Post
this thread keeps giving haha what is next now ??
is this fiasco still going on ?
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 07:01 AM   #528
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
is this fiasco still going on ?
Only for the seller
Old 15 November 2018, 07:10 AM   #529
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Clearly the lesson learned is seller should NEVER bring a watch and let them package it. That was not smart at all. Seller is very fortunate to get his money back. At the end of they day seller is responsible to make sure the watch reaches to the buyer. If all fails then seller deal with insurance.
Dang Shabaang!!!!

Why would anyone let a shipper package a Rolex is freaking beyond me!!!

This is like kindergarten 101 of high end watches... Somethin your
little pumpkin just won't and shouldn't do...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 07:59 AM   #530
trebor
"TRF" Member

We were in a business that utilized UPS for most shipments.
We always checked the weight of packages going in or out.
Had several instances of a package arriving 'short weighted'.
UPS security department ( mostly former Police Officers) was instrumental in finding the
spot in their system where the package wasn't being observed. They caught the employees in a UPS facility who targeted packages to a certain group of consignees/consignors which we were a member of.
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:18 AM   #531
Jonnyj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster 2
Wow sounds like a messed up situation!
Jonnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 03:50 PM   #532
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:

+1. Is what struck me as suspicious was the weight of the package being the same when tendered for shipping by the seller as the empty box when received by the buyer. This only makes sense if an empty box was shipped.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 10:58 PM   #533
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

Shippers don't need to know what is in your box, period! None of their business.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 11:43 PM   #534
77T
2024 Pledge Member

This whole matter hinged on trust - I mean seller, buyer, and carrier.

I sure don’t think ill of the parties, but somewhere out there is a “stolen” Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 01:41 AM   #535
MinMay
Banned

And what is the serial number of the watch? It should be known to public and Rolex as stolen.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 01:42 AM   #536
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And what is the serial number of the watch? It should be known to public and Rolex as stolen.
This
Old 16 November 2018, 02:03 AM   #537
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
+1. Is what struck me as suspicious was the weight of the package being the same when tendered for shipping by the seller as the empty box when received by the buyer. This only makes sense if an empty box was shipped.
this would be possible if the watch was removed by a ups employee in prior to being put on the scales?
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 02:48 AM   #538
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
this would be possible if the watch was removed by a ups employee in prior to being put on the scales?
My thoughts exactly. I used to use UPS. They had a distribution center 10 minutes from where I lived. I sell alot of high end items that we cant talk about here. I take great pride in packaging my items where they cant get damaged unless the airplane ran the package over. EVERY time I went there to ship my items they had to know what was in the box and had me open it up to show them it was properly packaged. That got real old and I went with another carrier that didnt ask as many questions. Dont know if its a UPS policy or not but I dont use them if I can help it and thats 20+ years ago now. I also believe in not letting them know whats in the package to prevent the sticky finger scenario.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 03:14 AM   #539
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
Sure, but certainly not anything the OP would have been part of, which seller still infers.
Old 16 November 2018, 05:03 AM   #540
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Sure, but certainly not anything the OP would have been part of, which seller still infers.
The buyer did everything one would expect of someone who was scammed himself, and UPS paid the seller a claim for losing the watch. Yet the seller persists in these accusations.

Given his persistance promoting these accusations, I’m not convinced the seller would have refunded the buyer, even after getting the claim money, had the buyer not taken him to court.