The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 November 2019, 06:19 AM   #661
golfski
"TRF" Member

Watch: me whip & nay nay
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I hear ya, I never thought that i would have the guts to let go of Hulk and Pepsi.
But with time I quickly realize that all Rolexes are on the same category of my lifestyle. So having 3 Rolexes for me was like having 3 of the same, I get that a lot of people don't agree with that but that's how I feel about it.
So I came to the following conclusion :
Can't live without a Patek
Can't live without an Offshore (AP)
Cant live without a Rolex

With that rule in my mind, the rest is pretty easy. Just choose your favorite of each and you are done.
Totally agree with this and where I have ended up (for now). It is great having one of each of these references and definitely feel with Rolex and AP, that having more than one of those is redundant as OP points out. For PP, I think you can find two or more references in your collection that doesn’t feel redundant.

Definitely with the OP on ROO for AP and 5524 for PP but the only Rolex that does it for me is the JC DSSD.
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2019, 02:02 PM   #662
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:

You are looking at it wrong , I got Pepsi and Hulk at retail , I am already 12k ahead. So even by losing on Camo, I am still ahead.
Excellent point!
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2019, 02:03 PM   #663
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I found that the PM and Steel offshore variants a big on the heavy side. The ceramic and TI versions seem to be much more comfortable at least for me...
I am seriously tempted by the camo but the SS weight is making me a little hesitant, as I only ever had Ti in 44mm.

Just how much more top heavy is 44mm Steel?
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 04:14 AM   #664
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
It’s been 9 months since I updated the thread. A lot of things has happened since my last post. A lot of decisions were taken because life , others influenced by Covid19, and another ones were just because my craziness.
Anyway I think I can hit the pause/stop button to this hobby. I still will participate here and there but at least I will share with you the stage of my collection.

Not a fancy collection but it’s certainly a collection I would feel comfortable living with, if I indeed quit cold turkey.

1 patek
1 AP
2 Rolex
+ speedy

Now let’s just hope September Rolex new releases suck !

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 06:19 AM   #665
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Very nice, Jorge, we have the same AP, PP and Rolex pretty much.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 06:26 AM   #666
guanxi
"TRF" Member

[/QUOTE]

I have been secretly wishing for this for the sake of my marriage!
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 07:45 AM   #667
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
That TT Sea-Dweller is really growing on me (dont like the SS variant)
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 08:55 AM   #668
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Conversion from hoarding all brands to Patek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
That TT Sea-Dweller is really growing on me (dont like the SS variant)
Is really great , I never thought that I would love it so much ; and it’s a TT which historically I haven’t been so keen about them in general

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Very nice, Jorge, we have the same AP, PP and Rolex pretty much.

Thanks, Yeah I know you have the same AP but with white subdials, PP I think you are referring to your 5164 which has a travel time dial/function like my 5524, but Rolex I can’t remember what you have that is close to mine, do you have Bluesy ?

Albert Einstein
Old 16 August 2020, 08:58 AM   #669
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanxi View Post

I have been secretly wishing for this for the sake of my marriage![/QUOTE]

I know right , I totally get it bro

Albert Einstein
Old 16 August 2020, 09:03 AM   #670
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Is really great , I never thought that I would love it so much ; and it’s a TT which historically I haven’t been so keen about them in general

Thanks, Yeah I know you have the same AP but with white subdials, PP I think you are referring to your 5164 which has a travel time dial/function like my 5524, but Rolex I can’t remember what you have that is close to mine, do you have Bluesy ?

Sorry mate, had a brain freeze, I have both your Rolexes.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 09:19 AM   #671
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Looking good as usual, Jorge. Always fun to get an update as your collection evolves.

Of just the watches you’ve owned, money being no object, what five would you put together as your ideal five watch collection? Also do you have any grails that are currently out of reach?
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 09:34 AM   #672
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Sorry mate, had a brain freeze, I have both your Rolexes.

Damn , I guess great minds think alike

Albert Einstein
Old 16 August 2020, 12:01 PM   #673
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Looking good as usual, Jorge. Always fun to get an update as your collection evolves.

Of just the watches you’ve owned, money being no object, what five would you put together as your ideal five watch collection? Also do you have any grails that are currently out of reach?

Thanks
I think of the 5 I have now , each of them fulfill a specific goal on my wearing impulses every time I want a wear a watch. Meaning if I feel like wearing a leather strap/haute horology feeling I pick my patek (even though it might not be the best example of it but if it is too elegant I won’t wear it ) , if I feel like I want a wear a watch to go a club “boss feel” for example then I put my AP, if I need to do things at home or go biking I usually put my speedy on. Rolex can be worn for a lot of occasions, but I would say that when I want a wear a non-flashy Rolex I would wear my Daytona, and if i feel like I want flashy Rolex then I go with the TT, that seadweller really feels great on the wrist.

So to an answer your question, my ideal five would be watches like the ones I have , sure I could substitute them with more expensive examples of those categories but I don’t feel the need now.

No grails , I used to have grails like PCC , and complicated watches like that. But I really don’t care enough to even desire them, you know. If anything I might add a couple of watches that I already had in the past but also that would err in the side of hoarding

I think 1 leather strap Patek, 1 AP, 1 non-flashy Rolex , 1 flashy Rolex, 1 well respected beater (speedy) is a good combo , at least works for me.
This is not one size fits all, so I guess you have to find the combo that works for you

Cheers

Albert Einstein
Old 16 August 2020, 12:20 PM   #674
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks
I think of the 5 I have now , each of them fulfill a specific goal on my wearing impulses every time I want a wear a watch. Meaning if I feel like wearing a leather strap/haute horology feeling I pick my patek (even though it might not be the best example of it but if it is too elegant I won’t wear it ) , if I feel like I want a wear a watch to go a club “boss feel” for example then I put my AP, if I need to do things at home or go biking I usually put my speedy on. Rolex can be worn for a lot of occasions, but I would say that when I want a wear a non-flashy Rolex I would wear my Daytona, and if i feel like I want flashy Rolex then I go with the TT, that seadweller really feels great on the wrist.

So to an answer your collection, my ideal five would be watches like the ones I have , sure I could substitute them with more expensive examples of those categories but I don’t feel the need now.

No grails , I used to have grails like PCC , and complicated watches like that. But I really don’t care enough to even desire them, you know. If anything I might add a couple of watches that I already had in the past but also that would err in the side of hoarding

I think 1 leather strap Patek, 1 AP, 1 non-flashy Rolex , 1 flashy Rolex, 1 well respected beater (speedy) is a good combo , at least works for me.
This is not one size fits all, so I guess you have to find the combo that works for you

Cheers

Epic update and inspiration for discipline as always!

Interesting to see the RG AP return back into your power/boss spot.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 03:14 PM   #675
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks

So to an answer your question, my ideal five would be watches like the ones I have , sure I could substitute them with more expensive examples of those categories but I don’t feel the need now.

Cheers

I always appreciate getting your take on your approach to curating a collection. Thank you my friend!
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 12:11 AM   #676
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Epic update and inspiration for discipline as always!

Interesting to see the RG AP return back into your power/boss spot.

That watch is perfect for me. I knew it but I thought the Camo AP would fit the spot but naaah the power of Rose gold bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
I always appreciate getting your take on your approach to curating a collection. Thank you my friend!

You are welcome,

Albert Einstein
Old 17 August 2020, 02:12 AM   #677
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

You’ve owned so many great watches that is hard to say which ones would make up for the ideal collection. Well, out of the watches I remember you had, I would have kept the following as a small collection to call it a day: 5712, Platona and 5905. I don’t remember if you had the 15202, if so, it would have to be in as well. Having said that, your current Daytona, PP and AP are great too!
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 02:18 AM   #678
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Looking good Jorge.
Old 17 August 2020, 02:24 AM   #679
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Curious on what your parting thoughts on the Platona are? SS Daytona + RG AP ROO just better bang for the buck value wise or anything else that marked a strike in the books against Platona on your collection criteria?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 04:08 AM   #680
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Looking good Jorge.

Thanks bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ WA View Post
You’ve owned so many great watches that is hard to say which ones would make up for the ideal collection. Well, out of the watches I remember you had, I would have kept the following as a small collection to call it a day: 5712, Platona and 5905. I don’t remember if you had the 15202, if so, it would have to be in as well. Having said that, your current Daytona, PP and AP are great too!

5712 is a beautiful watch, I had it in SS and rose gold. But is too much high maintenance (wrist awareness) for me to enjoy it. I never owned the 15202 but I did have 15300 perfect 39mm size.
As far as Platona and 5905p they couldn’t coexist because I could only afford one , I choose Platona at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Curious on what your parting thoughts on the Platona are? SS Daytona + RG AP ROO just better bang for the buck value wise or anything else that marked a strike in the books against Platona on your collection criteria?

Platona is a watch that really hits too many boxes , kind of ruined Rolex for me. But now I have 2 Rolex instead of one helps with the diversity I guess. But yeah Platona is special

Albert Einstein
Old 17 August 2020, 04:23 AM   #681
nda
"TRF" Member

Some lovely watches there....

I have never had such a large collection - maybe 7 'significant' watches at the same time including PP. Now gone down to 3 - a Breguet Marine big date in gold on a blue rubber strap, SS blue Sky Dweller and an Omega PO GMT. It feels enough, but I'm always looking.

Would like the Lange Odysseus and also the Vacheron Overseas dual time - but probably won't buy as I'm happy where I am. :)

Quite like the Yachtmaster 40 blue face too.

Must.

Resist.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 06:38 AM   #682
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post
Some lovely watches there....

I have never had such a large collection - maybe 7 'significant' watches at the same time including PP. Now gone down to 3 - a Breguet Marine big date in gold on a blue rubber strap, SS blue Sky Dweller and an Omega PO GMT. It feels enough, but I'm always looking.

Would like the Lange Odysseus and also the Vacheron Overseas dual time - but probably won't buy as I'm happy where I am. :)

Quite like the Yachtmaster 40 blue face too.

Must.

Resist.

Thanks, I think you need a 4th one. Not to be an enabler but yeah you kind of do.
3 is the logic number of watches to have , it makes perfect sense. But in the practice you need 4, now if you can hold it there and have just 3, kudos to you
Cheers

Albert Einstein
Old 17 August 2020, 07:04 AM   #683
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
A great collection but I wouldn’t keep Pilot as my only PP - Nautilus deserves that place.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 07:32 AM   #684
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorKrieg View Post
A great collection but I wouldn’t keep Pilot as my only PP - Nautilus deserves that place.

I had 3 Nautilus , I think , hope I am not forgetting any. 5712/1a, 5712R and 5990. And yeah they are nice watches , but I have no desire to own another Nautilus. Probably the last watch I would wanna wear. A lot of people in this forum that know me know why I feel like that about it.

Note : I just notice you are new to the forum , that’s why you don’t know. I don’t feel like giving now the long story but long story short , is not fun for me to wear a 40-60k watch that I need to be concerned all the time with the bezel being scratch. I swear that if you just see the bezel for too long it will scratch by itself. You don’t need to agree with it but yeah not for me. Yeah all watches are expected to get signs of wear and I am ok with that but the Nautilus bezel (or aquanaut for that matter) is on your face all the time , plus it really ruins the appeal on my eyes. To each it’s own , a lot of people are not affected with that and they love them , it’s just not me.

Also Nautilus and aquanaut are not what patek Phillipe is about. But yeah I see the appeal , that’s the reason I bought them at some point

Cheers

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2020, 01:29 PM   #685
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had 3 Nautilus , I think , hope I am not forgetting any. 5712/1a, 5712R and 5990. And yeah they are nice watches , but I have no desire to own another Nautilus. Probably the last watch I would wanna wear. A lot of people in this forum that know me know why I feel like that about it.

Note : I just notice you are new to the forum , that’s why you don’t know. I don’t feel like giving now the long story but long story short , is not fun for me to wear a 40-60k watch that I need to be concerned all the time with the bezel being scratch. I swear that if you just see the bezel for too long it will scratch by itself. You don’t need to agree with it but yeah not for me. Yeah all watches are expected to get signs of wear and I am ok with that but the Nautilus bezel (or aquanaut for that matter) is on your face all the time , plus it really ruins the appeal on my eyes. To each it’s own , a lot of people are not affected with that and they love them , it’s just not me.

Also Nautilus and aquanaut are not what patek Phillipe is about. But yeah I see the appeal , that’s the reason I bought them at some point

Cheers

You must love Rolex ceramic bezels?

Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 01:34 PM   #686
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apheaven View Post
You must love Rolex ceramic bezels?

Is not about the brand is about the material. I think it’s more accurate to say that I love ceramic bezels in sport watches, like my AP in the picture above. Patek sport watches aren’t really sport watches , they have the look of a sport watch but you can’t use them as such.

Cheers

Albert Einstein
Old 21 August 2020, 05:11 PM   #687
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:

Cheers

I understand, thank you for the explanation. I have both the 5712 and the 5167, both in steel. Yeah, they are scratch magnets, J guess I just learned to live with it. I have a very peculiar taste in almost exclusively bracelet and rubber strap watches, hence the choice. If I would get a third one it would be 5960A with a bracelet. I guess Daytona is looking really attractive right now...
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 05:52 PM   #688
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

very impressive....!!

Everyone is different but if i went shopping at your watch collection:

FPJCB
AP15300
PP5960
ALS world time
Exp II

and throw in some of my current collection
Daytona 116500 white
BLRO
SD4K
Panerai PAM911

and pick up from my AD
PP 5167 (for a little rubber)

BUT if you forced me to just one... my Daytona 116500 white (if 2... add BLRO) - then i'd call it a day, log off, and fly away :)

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 01:50 AM   #689
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Patek sport watches aren’t really sport watches , they have the look of a sport watch but you can’t use them as such.
Or you can use them as sport watches, acknowledging they may show wear (albeit I may be the minority by doing this). It somewhat depends on how much one cares about scratches. Also, one can further differentiate between a sports watch and a tool watch, which can sometimes get lumped into the same group.

Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 08:12 AM   #690
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
helluva adventure there. and in rapid time. reminds me of mine, but on steroids !!!
awesome watches and awesome taste. i pretty much love all your choices, and have also been on a downsizing/grail mission.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote