The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 7 November 2014, 05:09 AM   #1
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Hamilton Jewelers Review

So I found myself in Princeton, NJ today at Hamilton Jewelers. I needed to have a watch of mine serviced as it was running a tad slow. Princeton is only a half hour from where I work so I figured I'd stop in and see what the store had to offer as they are an authorized dealer for a few different brands than I what I typically see at Leonardo Jewelers in Red Bank.

I am not sure what I expected going in but they didn't offer nearly as many models of certain brands as I would have expected. There collection in terms of different brands was vast however. I noticed they carried Patek, JLC, Rolex, Panerai, Tudor, Shinola, Breitling, and Cartier.

I would truthfully have to say that Tudor was probably the most well stocked of all the brands followed by Breitling. They had multiple Tudor models with their bracelet/strap variations. I was very impressed by the Ranger. I think the model has taken a lot of criticism but I thought it looked amazing especially on the bund strap. The blue bezeled Black Bay also was a notable stand out.

The Panerai display was very small and I was disappointed as I am just now discovering the brand. There maybe only 8-10 models displayed and they were mostly 47mm. There were no entry or base models available. The 372 was the notable star among the models displayed.

The Patek display was beautiful and well out of my price range for the immediate future. I had never seen a Patek Phillipe in person and I can easily see why they command the prices they do. Their finish is on a whole different level. While I am sure 90% of you reading this already know that, it goes without saying.

Breitling was typical of what I have sadly come to expect from the brand. I don't recognize most of their models any longer and was hard pressed to find just a plain old stainless Navitimer. It's a shame because I loved my two tone Navitimer. It was the ONLY watch I wore during my flying days in the Navy. I still have a lot of love for the brand but hope they back to their roots.

The Rolex display was well stocked as far as the sport models went. They had 6-7 Daytonas on display but no platinum and no stainless. The BLNR was in the display as were two SD 4000s. They did not have the new blue dial Milgauss available but the white dial and black dial GV were present. Almost every iteration of the Sub except the no date (something the salesman commented on as I wore it in today). A single Sky-Dweller was available: rose gold. It looked really nice on the bracelet and changed my opinion of the model. Pictures I have seen seem to have made the watch look awkward to me, but in person this was farthest from the truth. I take back any negative comments I have ever made towards the Sky-Dweller.

The staff were polite and attentive. I worked with Peter who was very kind and up front about the time it would take to service my watch. I offered to wait while they examined it but it does not seem as if that is their policy. Perhaps their watchmaker is a very busy man. Regardless Peter offered to ship the watch back to me once it has been diagnosed and corrected. The store front was beautiful. I noticed several empty displays. I was told there was a store event today and that they would be closing early, perhaps that had something to do with it. All in all a pleasant experience. I was hoping to check out more Panerai and was disappointed I had driven 30 minutes in the wrong direction of work to get a watch serviced. As promised I reserve all my future business for TRF dealers but I would recommend the AD to anyone who asked.

Sorry no pictures. It was raining all day here in Jersey and I left my phone in the car.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 05:14 AM   #2
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Great review. We need more reviews like this. In fact, you inspired me to do one.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 07:04 AM   #3
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Great review. We need more reviews like this. In fact, you inspired me to do one.
Kind words.
Old 7 November 2014, 07:09 AM   #4
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
ok Evan so let me get this straight you did not take pictures!??

nice write up
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 07:11 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Nice review, thank you for posting
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 07:20 AM   #6
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Usually we got a bad review of watch stores, but this one is different. Good to know good stores around.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 07:34 AM   #7
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I do business with the university and often stop in to visit Hamiltons. John who works the watch counter is very knowledgeable and a real gentlemen. I have met the owner who is also a solid guy. Nice traditional jewelry store.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 07:44 AM   #8
otisc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV HULK
Nice review. I would have loved some pictures, but it's probably a little tacky to be taking phone snapshots of Pateks in a place this refined. Nice read.
otisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 07:51 AM   #9
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisc View Post
Nice review. I would have loved some pictures, but it's probably a little tacky to be taking phone snapshots of Pateks in a place this refined. Nice read.
Truthfully it was pouring in NJ today so I did rush out of my car (side note: parking sucks in Princeton). I've got to agree with you here. It was my first time in the place. If I was at my usual AD, I'd have no compulsion about pulling out my iPhone or snapping pics. If I was buying something, I'd make them lay the Pateks on top of me and take shots!

Seeing as how it's my first time there, I wanted to keep it classy. Next time, I will be shameless.
Old 7 November 2014, 08:02 AM   #10
Dvenus11
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 2
honestly surprised that they carried shanola
Dvenus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 11:01 AM   #11
Rootbeer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Thanks for the review Evan. It's my closest AD and I must drop by sometime soon. My Milgauss is about due for service. I agree the weather was miserable today!
Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote