The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 16 September 2015, 05:39 AM   #1
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
My Patek 5990 is FINALLY at HSWA NYC for Service.

Hello fellow TRF members.

I wanted to start a fresh thread that I will update along the way about the service of my 5990.

A little while back, I reported of Dust inside the movement of my 5990. There is also a problem with the case polish on the watch. Keep in mind my 5990 is only a couple months old since I purchased it brand new from my patek AD..

You will notice in one picture that there is a fiber inside the watch. I circled it in red so you can see.

Aside from dust contamination, The watch isn't keeping as advertised time and or power reserve. This could also be due to the dust contamination.

In the second picture, I would like to point out that this watch has been miss polished from the factory. You will see a red circle indicating the problem area. The polished line that flows from either side of the lugs "dips" in the center and is not perfectly straight.

Same can be said of the bottom pusher for the chronograph, that is not properly polished either and does not match the top pusher.

I think its shocking with the low level of QC and standards Patek has, that my watch actually left the factory like this.

I reached out to patek via email a few months ago. Never having heard a single response back, some members where nice enough to send me the director of customer supports email. I contacted him, and again, having heard no response (I waited a week this time) I was a little more persistent and went to patek.com to retrieve HSWA number in NY.

Having seen that there is no number listed on their website for their service center (which I find ridiculous) I browsed around the web and finally came across the better business bureau's website and retrieved their number from that.

Some may think, why didn't I just go through my AD and have them send it to patek for me? I wanted to handle this myself because I didn't want any miss information due to the several issues the watch has.. I thought it best if they hear it directly from me. I also at the end of the day, feel more comfortable packaging the watch up myself. That way I don't need to worry about my AD scratching it by mistake or something along those lines..

I contacted the HSWA and was able to get a customer service rep on the phone. She spoke very well, but boarder line condescending. At times, she was argumentative with me over my concerns and issues my watch had, giving excuses as to why this may or may not have happened. She recommended at one point that I return the watch to my AD for a refund... At one point, I told her it was hard for me to even locate their number, she replied "well we usually don't have clients try to contact us, we normally deal with AD's" So I could see where this was going.

To make a really long story short, we hung up with each other and I wrote her an email explaining to her that I found the way she spoke to me to be poor customer service. I had asked that her supervisor contact me. Her supervisor wasn't apologetic at all. He in fact told me that he felt the way his rep handled the situation was correct.. I made some really good points to him and he agreed, but again, no apology. He said "bottom line, we want to get your watch here so we can fix it" I agreed. I explained to them my watch does not have 1 scratch on it and I expect it to stay that way while you have it.

I also told them I would think its appropriate for a full watch replacement. I don't want my watch refinished/polished, I also don't like the idea my watch being taken apart and fully serviced due to the dust contamination while it is brand new.

I packaged the watch very secure, here is a shot before I completely covered the watch in bubble wrap.

I told them I also really don't think its fair having just got the watch, to lose it for months due to their long and slow service times.

They told me that not only are they investigating why my messages were never responded to, but why these QC issues happened with my watch..
I truly don't think they are going to investigate anything, I just think they are going to repair my watch and send it back to me and make me feel lucky and thankful that they repaired it....

The watch was sent overnight fedex to them in NY. They received it this morning.. They are going to analyze it and let me know what they find.

The problem is, HSWA NY is not allowed to work on my watch. They have not been trained yet on how to work on it, nor do they have parts, so they said the only thing they can do is test the timing and visually inspect it, but they are not allowed to open it. So it has to go back to Geneva no matter what as Geneva HQ wants to see the watch..

I have no word if they will replace the watch, repair it or what. It is their call from what I'm told. I just hope they don't force me to refinish this piece as this is their mistake and they should make it right.

If Geneva's solution is not to my liking, I have decided I am just going to return the watch to my AD for a refund and not look back.

I have informed my AD of the situation and they said they will let their Rep know to show my watch priority.

So lets see just how long priority takes with Patek

Thus far, I have realized that their QC is not great and their customer service is even worse. The future does not look bright. No wonder HSWA NY has a 1 star rating on Yelp..

But at least I took several high res pictures of my watch on a dated piece of paper, to make sure nothing bad happens to my watch, while in their possession.

Pictures below of the issues I am speaking of..
I would love to hear what the members think. I didn't take a picture of the pusher because it was hard for me to capture the deformity of it.

I will keep everyone updated on this journey and l too am curious as to how patek will take care of my watch and show me "excellent" customer service?

Old 16 September 2015, 06:09 AM   #2
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
If I were you, I would just return the watch to your AD and get another one.
Old 16 September 2015, 06:13 AM   #3
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjfang View Post
If I were you, I would just return the watch to your AD and get another one.
x100
Old 16 September 2015, 06:13 AM   #4
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
This sounds like a nightmare! I usually have had a great experience with HS, but that may be because I go there in person.

Anyway, if you don't want the watch opened and worked on, why didn't you take up HS on the offer to return the watch. You can then order a new one.
Old 16 September 2015, 06:21 AM   #5
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
This is all really disappointing to hear, but if the offer is there for a new one, I'd jump on it.
Old 16 September 2015, 06:22 AM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Thought you had sent this out a while ago?

Good luck w resolution.

They have had my watch since may and have given an updated eta of December (originally sept)
Old 16 September 2015, 06:49 AM   #7
SubKing
"TRF" Member

When the rep told me I could always return it for a refund, that did not mean I can then order another.

That just meant I can try to return the watch to the AD IF they accept a return..

I am asking for a full replacement and they cannot give me any answers until Geneva inspects the watch in person. They have the ultimate say. Since HSWA cannot even open the watch or work on it, I have no choice but for them to send it to Geneva. I have told them several times that I will not tolerate losing this watch for months on end. They need to fix this situation fast. They told me they would.

IF Geneva does not want to issue me a replacement and or does not get back to me in a timely manor, I will request the watch to be sent back for a return to the AD. I will then never give patek business ever again if this were to happen. I would take my money and spend it with another brand.

So at this time, I am only doing what HSWA has requested, and that is to return my watch to them so they can show it "care and priority" Now we can all see just how much care and priority they show me as time passes. But I cannot deny them a chance to try. If they say they wont keep my watch hostage, then I will believe them this one time. If they fail me, then they lose money on my purchase and future business. I assume Patek is not in business to lose money, so lets see just how professional they can be at taking care of something that is a HUGE mistake on their part.

But like I said, thus far, the treatment has been terrible, So my hopes are not high.. I would never have thought of all brands, Patek would be the worst to deal with when they claim them selves as the best.
Old 16 September 2015, 06:52 AM   #8
martinr
"TRF" Member

If your AD will replace it do it, you'll never have confidence in your watch if it's fixed. HSWA provides zero info on repairs so you'll be left wondering what else will be wrong with it.
Old 16 September 2015, 06:58 AM   #9
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
When the rep told me I could always return it for a refund, that did not mean I can then order another.

That just meant I can try to return the watch to the AD IF they accept a return..

I am asking for a full replacement and they cannot give me any answers until Geneva inspects the watch in person. They have the ultimate say. Since HSWA cannot even open the watch or work on it, I have no choice but for them to send it to Geneva. I have told them several times that I will not tolerate losing this watch for months on end. They need to fix this situation fast. They told me they would.

IF Geneva does not want to issue me a replacement and or does not get back to me in a timely manor, I will request the watch to be sent back for a return to the AD. I will then never give patek business ever again if this were to happen. I would take my money and spend it with another brand.

So at this time, I am only doing what HSWA has requested, and that is to return my watch to them so they can show it "care and priority" Now we can all see just how much care and priority they show me as time passes. But I cannot deny them a chance to try. If they say they wont keep my watch hostage, then I will believe them this one time. If they fail me, then they lose money on my purchase.
I hope it all works out. It seems that you really love the 5990, it would be a shame for you if you ended up getting a refund and buying something else.
Old 16 September 2015, 07:21 AM   #10
SpunkyQ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: RM,AP,PP,RLX,PAM
Sounds alot like my story. A thread i made couple of hours ago.. I really dont know where Patek is going with these QC issues..
I have my fingers crossed that my tens of thousands of dollars worth of investment in the brand doesnt go in vain.

I hope you get your watch fixed asap

P.S If you thought your local AD was poor customer service. Then, expect even worse customer service from Geneva. Those ppl have their noses up their @$$s and i have seen it
Old 16 September 2015, 07:23 AM   #11
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I hope it all works out. It seems that you really love the 5990, it would be a shame for you if you ended up getting a refund and buying something else.
I know, I truly don't want it to come to that. But this wouldn't be the first brand that I had to walk away from due to poor service and product.

I have to look out for my best interests when it comes to my high dollar purchases.

If only they would give the product/service as advertised. Instead of treating me as if the problem isn't their fault with their noses in the air.

Everyone makes mistakes, even those that claim perfection like patek.. But the way they have treated me this far shows me that they really don't give a sh!t unfortunately.
Old 16 September 2015, 07:41 AM   #12
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I agree completely with supporting a company that stands behind their product, especially after they have secured payment.

I would add that I do not know of a company that does not have their flaws, so if you bring your business elsewhere, in my experience it really comes down to luck of the draw or you have to sit down and inspect each piece at the time of purchase with a fine tooth comb and even then that will only show you visible imperfections not necessarily those hidden in the movement.

I have been disappointed by Rolex, Patek, Leica (camera) and BMW, the common denominator being they all claim exemplary service and support in their advertising... As a direct result of their claims, our expectations are raised and here we are... If they stand behind their product, I can stand behind them even if I have unfortunately received a defective example.
Old 16 September 2015, 07:44 AM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Intolerable on a new watch from a high end company, like others said I would insist on a trade for a new one, that's too any things for a new watch, one could even think they sold you one which was not new, incredible….
Old 16 September 2015, 08:37 AM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

This is a nightmare and I feel for you. I hope it works out. These watch companies are something else. Hold us WIS hostage
Old 16 September 2015, 09:49 AM   #15
cardstock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
As others have said, you should have gone through your AD. That is their function. They are between you and Patek. That is the way it is set up. The AD gets watches at reduced cost to take care of this and to pay for the overhead. You can see why Patek does not want every consumer to be calling in for every question. You see what happens with internet service providers when everybody is calling in. The numbers skyrocket.

The service times on Patek, depending upon the complications is out in the months range. Four to six months is probably around average so don't look for your watch anytime this year. Even the QC after the watch is finished it is another 2 to 3 weeks to be sure the watch is functioning properly.

If you can survive that time then you will get the watch back. If not, you should return it through your AD and get on with your life.
Old 16 September 2015, 10:16 AM   #16
SubKing
"TRF" Member

My Ad does know of the situation. I just wanted to be the one to personally ship it in and explain to Patek the detailed issues with pictures.. My AD actually got their rep to get the president of N.A. Involved with this as I told them the employees thus far at the service center have not been very easy to deal with. The owner of the AD will know more by Friday.
My AD has my back because at the end of the day, they don't want to get a returned product and lose a customer for their best line..

But either way, for anything to happen, my watch had to go back to patek either way.

It's better that both my AD and I are involved so I am not at the mercy of anyone for updates or info. I can reach out to patek myself.
I just didn't want to play a telephone game with my AD relaying problems to patek. I was very detailed in my communication.
Old 16 September 2015, 10:17 AM   #17
bh_horology
"TRF" Member

I think it is unacceptable to see such level of quality issues. That said, I do think that going to your AD should be the first option. I have had issues with my patek, and I am not happy about it, but my AD was very responsive and took care of it for me. I agree with "cardstock" - that is the function of the AD. If you buy a new Mercedes and there is an issue, you would go to your car dealer. You would not try and contact the corporate company.
Old 16 September 2015, 10:20 AM   #18
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardstock View Post
As others have said, you should have gone through your AD. That is their function. They are between you and Patek. That is the way it is set up. The AD gets watches at reduced cost to take care of this and to pay for the overhead. You can see why Patek does not want every consumer to be calling in for every question. You see what happens with internet service providers when everybody is calling in. The numbers skyrocket.

I don't know. Somehow AP manages to deal with the unwashed masses, and do so without the attitude. Never had an issue speaking with them directly.
Old 16 September 2015, 10:29 AM   #19
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The service times on Patek, depending upon the complications is out in the months range. Four to six months is probably around average so don't look for your watch anytime this year. Even the QC after the watch is finished it is another 2 to 3 weeks to be sure the watch is functioning properly.

If you can survive that time then you will get the watch back. If not, you should return it through your AD and get on with your life.
Have to agree with the above. The AD should be making this right not the manufacturer. I would also try to not jump to conclusions. I hope it all works out.
Old 16 September 2015, 10:34 AM   #20
cardstock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
I don't know. Somehow AP manages to deal with the unwashed masses, and do so without the attitude. Never had an issue speaking with them directly.
Patel does not have a staff to deal with the general public. That is why there is no published number. You can bet that the Patek person has not gone through any training for dealing with the public. They stick to the facts with the AD and work out a non-emotional solution as it is a professional relationship. The AD is the one that needs to possess the people skills.

This is also a bit of a cultural thing too. Swiss and Germans and the like have different mannerisms that can come off harsh especially to Americans. These people would have no problem telling you that your outfit looks bad while an American would either refrain from saying anything or would temper it. It is not bad, it is just cultural. When I was working in Germany, you cut to the chase. No walking around. The facts, only the facts and the outcome was the outcome. Nothing wrong with that as long as you understand that some cultures hold your hand more than others. Generalities of course and nothing negative intended or implied to any country or group of people.
Old 16 September 2015, 10:39 AM   #21
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Sad to read, however, as you are aware even companies like Scuderia and Mercedes have QC issues with their super cars, let's not even get to nearly 7 figure cost homes that come with their fair share of problems. I hear your plight yet sometimes the obscure discrepancies can be a joy... Good luck!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
Old 16 September 2015, 11:01 AM   #22
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Patel does not have a staff to deal with the general public. That is why there is no published number. You can bet that the Patek person has not gone through any training for dealing with the public. They stick to the facts with the AD and work out a non-emotional solution as it is a professional relationship. The AD is the one that needs to possess the people skills.

This is also a bit of a cultural thing too. Swiss and Germans and the like have different mannerisms that can come off harsh especially to Americans. These people would have no problem telling you that your outfit looks bad while an American would either refrain from saying anything or would temper it. It is not bad, it is just cultural. When I was working in Germany, you cut to the chase. No walking around. The facts, only the facts and the outcome was the outcome. Nothing wrong with that as long as you understand that some cultures hold your hand more than others. Generalities of course and nothing negative intended or implied to any country or group of people.

If they do not have the staff, it's because they choose not to invest in the customer service side of the business. That is a conscious choice on Patek's part.
Old 16 September 2015, 11:07 AM   #23
SMD
"TRF" Member

My Patek 5990 is FINALLY at HSWA NYC for Service.

Duplicate post
Old 16 September 2015, 11:16 AM   #24
flyinbrian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
+1 I dealt directly with AP on a new watch and they handled it immediately and kept me inform along the way. Patek sounds like the exact opposite experience I would want when purchasing an item, especially a watch at this price point.
Old 16 September 2015, 11:38 AM   #25
cardstock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If they do not have the staff, it's because they choose not to invest in the customer service side of the business. That is a conscious choice on Patek's part.
They DO have the staff. By definition it is the AD.
Old 16 September 2015, 11:46 AM   #26
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They DO have the staff. By definition it is the AD.

Agree to disagree.
Old 16 September 2015, 11:47 AM   #27
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I can't say I agree with what you're saying.
Patek made the watch, not my dealer. So it's up to Patek to make it right. It is the choice of the client of who I wish to deal directly with...

If Patek didn't want to deal with the public, then they wouldn't allow me to work with them, they would refer me to my AD... But they didn't, so obviously they are set up to deal with the public, they are just not very good at it...
Old 16 September 2015, 11:55 AM   #28
cardstock
"TRF" Member

I am happy to agree to disagree. I understand that it is high end product and we should all expect more. There are four PP in my collection alone and the lest expensive is more than most new cars.

There is a chain of contact and Patek chose there ADs very carefully. One of the qualities that I have seen at all of the ADs is a great deal of professionalism and great customer service.

It sounds like both the AD (good customer skills) and PP (sometimes a little rough around the edges) themselves are agreeing to take ownership of the problem and that, to me is the most important.
Old 16 September 2015, 11:59 AM   #29
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I would write a letter to the CEO. A customer is a customer and if you hung up that call and did not feel like you were treated properly, the only way for them to improve is to speak up. Hope you get a speedy resolution.. and very painful to hear of this.
Old 16 September 2015, 08:50 PM   #30
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I hope you get resolution to your problem very soon. I will follow this to its conclusion.