2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 06:22 AM   #62
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Almost there if you count the 5167R paid in full waiting for me at my AD in Davos, anxious to get it, a RG on rubber has been itching me for a while, but I did seriously think about getting a RM, but decided to allocate RM type money into a very different piece, a made on order unique piece from one of the great watchmakers, but it will take 1 year to make it, 10 months still to go
Wow, if the piece unique cost as much as a Mille, that certainly narrows down the possible watchmakers!
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 06:32 AM   #63
rlx4u
"TRF" Member

5711 with jubilee.....
rlx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 11:51 AM   #64
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
Wow, if the piece unique cost as much as a Mille, that certainly narrows down the possible watchmakers!
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 12:47 PM   #65
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
It's the nautilus 41st anniversary edition!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 12:59 PM   #66
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sure you know what you're doing, but have you considered resale? I hate the thought of getting stuck in a piece that expensive.

Beyond that, I'd love to hear about the process. Do you get input into the design or technology?
Old 4 September 2016, 01:05 PM   #67
KarlS
Banned

Arnaud that's a good idea. Chronicle the process from now to the reveal with pics along the way. This way we part of the journey versus the 3rd longest incoming in TRF history!
Old 4 September 2016, 01:40 PM   #68
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
It's the nautilus 41st anniversary edition!

Quote:
I'm sure you know what you're doing, but have you considered resale? I hate the thought of getting stuck in a piece that expensive.

Beyond that, I'd love to hear about the process. Do you get input into the design or technology?
Well for me this is THE piece I want to keep and leave to my son, wouldn't want to sell it at all, but from what I could see he does pretty good on his normal pieces for resale, so I would believe even better on his unique pieces, but of course I would still loose some money, from what I could figure out, around 20-25%, maybe less, but it's not at all an investment, and I thought about it for a really long time...

Of course I have 100% decision on design, for the movement it's his usual movement, but I choose the material and the decoration of the movement, in any case the watch is so far from the "basic design" that he told me it would be signed unique piece, but it is from an existing movement, if I had to order a watch with a totally unique movement I think that would buy a RM 035 and 055

Quote:
Arnaud that's a good idea. Chronicle the process from now to the reveal with pics along the way. This way we part of the journey versus the 3rd longest incoming in TRF history!
Well you know about the details, as well as 2 other members, that's already not bad

Hard for me to not talk about it as I am very excited, I wouldn't say it's the 3rd longest incoming, maybe the longest teaser, very small independent unique piece, that's the teaser, to be continued...
Old 4 September 2016, 01:40 PM   #69
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Sounds like you're on a roll Arnaud

I love it
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 02:36 PM   #70
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Sounds like you're on a roll Arnaud

I love it
Well I'm getting only models I really like and thought about it for a very long time, and not more than 2 per year, not like when I got 9 pieces in 1 year, all of which are sold as it was impulsive buying...
Old 4 September 2016, 02:40 PM   #71
KarlS
Banned

Quote:

Well for me this is THE piece I want to keep and leave to my son, wouldn't want to sell it at all, but from what I could see he does pretty good on his normal pieces for resale, so I would believe even better on his unique pieces, but of course I would still loose some money, from what I could figure out, around 20-25%, maybe less, but it's not at all an investment, and I thought about it for a really long time...

Of course I have 100% decision on design, for the movement it's his usual movement, but I choose the material and the decoration of the movement, in any case the watch is so far from the "basic design" that he told me it would be signed unique piece, but it is from an existing movement, if I had to order a watch with a totally unique movement I think that would buy a RM 035 and 055

Well you know about the details, as well as 2 other members, that's already not bad

Hard for me to not talk about it as I am very excited, I wouldn't say it's the 3rd longest incoming, maybe the longest teaser, very small independent unique piece, that's the teaser, to be continued...
Ha Ha yes I do and I think its a wonderful piece
Old 4 September 2016, 02:41 PM   #72
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ha Ha yes I do and I think its a wonderful piece
Old 4 September 2016, 03:03 PM   #73
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Sounds like an incredibly rewarding experience. I'm jealous. Do you have a background in art where you're able to actually make sketches or do you more describe what you'd like and let them show you options?
Old 4 September 2016, 03:13 PM   #74
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sounds like an incredibly rewarding experience. I'm jealous. Do you have a background in art where you're able to actually make sketches or do you more describe what you'd like and let them show you options?
Don't be jealous you have amazing watches, but the whole process of ordering a watch to be exactly how you want it, and unique as no other will be like it is quite rewarding I must say, also the fact of knowing that the quality will be on par, or very very close to Dufour level, now you know it's not Dufour and 100% hand made is quite cool.

Absolutely no art background, but for some parts I am going in Switzerland in a few weeks to meet the watchmaker, and an artist who will work on a special part of the watch, in my head it's already pretty clear how I expect it to be, they will probably have suggestions to make it even better...
Old 4 September 2016, 03:20 PM   #75
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Don't be jealous you have amazing watches, but the whole process of ordering a watch to be exactly how you want it, and unique as no other will be like it is quite rewarding I must say, also the fact of knowing that the quality will be on par, or very very close to Dufour level, now you know it's not Dufour and 100% hand made is quite cool.

Absolutely no art background, but for some parts I am going in Switzerland in a few weeks to meet the watchmaker, and an artist who will work on a special part of the watch, in my head it's already pretty clear how I expect it to be, they will probably have suggestions to make it even better...
Thank goodness its not a Dufour...I dont think i could have managed teh boredom...do you know he wears a Datograph?
Old 4 September 2016, 03:31 PM   #76
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank goodness its not a Dufour...I dont think i could have managed teh boredom...do you know he wears a Datograph?
I couldn't agree more, maybe his watches have the best finishing in the world, but I find them so boring. Yes I know he wears one
Old 4 September 2016, 03:33 PM   #77
waspy1
Banned

Quote:

You're a much braver man than I! I think if I had a design input to a watch it would be the equivalent of asking Homer Simpson to design a car! Some things are best left to the professionals.

Btw for what it's worth, my vote is for a Kari voutilainen. Best of luck with it regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 03:50 PM   #78
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
You're a much braver man than I! I think if I had a design input to a watch it would be the equivalent of asking Homer Simpson to design a car! Some things are best left to the professionals.

Btw for what it's worth, my vote is for a Kari voutilainen. Best of luck with it regardless.

Don't worry, the basic design is proposed by the watchmaker, then you can customize and change what you want, so it's not like if I was doing the whole thing from scratch, though between the basic design and the end result there are many changes...
Old 4 September 2016, 04:16 PM   #79
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I just can't wait to hear about it for the next 10-12 months!
Old 4 September 2016, 04:53 PM   #80
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
It may be a welcome distraction from:

a) Here is my 5711;
b) How hard is it to get a 5711, 5167, 5131
c) The Nautilus 40th Anniversary
d) ALS is the best watch in the world - Dufour wears a Datograph!!
e) Should I get an 116655 or rather a 6102P and can I shower with both
f) We should then be ready to start guessing on Baselworld 2017...I think there will be a blue dial 5170G
Old 4 September 2016, 04:59 PM   #81
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post

I have to agree with you...I look at a watch, put it on and love it or hate it...ask me to choose a frosted finish, perlage and whatever other french words and I sort of gloss over and just say all of it...it then becomes overworked or I say keep it simpel and it becomes boring!! I need a catalogue!
Old 4 September 2016, 06:29 PM   #82
Samui
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlx4u View Post
5711 with jubilee.....
Cringed
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 06:33 PM   #83
Samui
Banned

Quote:

Exciting stuff Arnauld. I will be following your updates
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 08:15 PM   #84
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
LOL, not to worry, I will have some much more exciting stuff before that, "incoming 5167R", that one will be very soon, just need to figure out when I can go to Switzerland, then I will have a "5711 incoming", so very exciting stuff and the kind you never see on TRF

Quote:
It may be a welcome distraction from:

a) Here is my 5711;
b) How hard is it to get a 5711, 5167, 5131
c) The Nautilus 40th Anniversary
d) ALS is the best watch in the world - Dufour wears a Datograph!!
e) Should I get an 116655 or rather a 6102P and can I shower with both
f) We should then be ready to start guessing on Baselworld 2017...I think there will be a blue dial 5170G
I'm super happy to get a 5167R in a few weeks, and a 5711 later, but on TRF this is so common that I don't even care to make it a surprise, all the PP lovers have a 5711 or some kind of Nautilus, and the 5167R though not so common as the 5711, at least on TRF, is also not a rare bird, it's great when a member gets one, we are all happy for him, but these kinds of posts don't necessarily excite us much...
Old 4 September 2016, 08:16 PM   #85
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samui View Post

Exciting stuff Arnauld. I will be following your updates
Thanks man
Old 4 September 2016, 08:59 PM   #86
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Don't worry, the basic design is proposed by the watchmaker, then you can customize and change what you want, so it's not like if I was doing the whole thing from scratch, though between the basic design and the end result there are many changes...
I hear they throw in a spare strap and batteries
Old 4 September 2016, 11:15 PM   #87
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quartz is making a come back...
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 11:23 PM   #88
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Quartz is making a come back...
good one

Wow this thread was clearly hijacked, so anyone wants to guess the models for the 40th and the production number? To be honest these threads excited me at the beginning but now feel like an old record which is scratched and playing the same 10 seconds over and over again...
Old 4 September 2016, 11:42 PM   #89
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Wow this thread was clearly hijacked, so anyone wants to guess the models for the 40th and the production number?
Guesses obviously mean nothing but it was interesting what John (Chasseur) mentioned regarding a possible 5711P on a strap. I think we all kind of assume the Nautilus models will be on a bracelet for the most part and that may be an interesting curve ball if they do a 5711P strap version but the dial better be pretty cool (Breguet or Arabic numerals and possibly a different color dial than the traditional blue we all drool over or laceur or enamel dial)
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 11:53 PM   #90
KarlS
Banned

Unless it's radically different couldn't really be bothered!