The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 January 2018, 08:59 AM   #61
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
That'd be a brilliant strategy if they planned it that way - create hype and scarcity around a few pieces so that they go for exorbitant amounts on the secondary market. Wait a year or two. Institute a massive price increase that seems tame given demand and the grey market. Flood the market with the once-rare pieces and sell them at much higher margins to grateful customers who thought they'd be waiting years or paying even higher prices.
Lol. Not suggesting they planned it this way, but clearly demand for steel nautilus is sky-high at the moment. It also appears various other stables of the line-up are not super popular at the moment. So increasing prices on the very in-demand watches seems fine to me is all I'm saying.
Old 24 January 2018, 09:03 AM   #62
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Here’s hoping Rolex doesn’t copy Patek with the 116500... at least not until I’ve seen one.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 09:05 AM   #63
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Here’s hoping Rolex doesn’t copy Patek with the 116500... at least not until I’ve seen one.
Lol - this crossed my mind also

Especially since my goal is either upgrade my 5167 to a 5164 or grab a 116500 somehow. Cant do both
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 09:06 AM   #64
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
This thread has certainly livened up the Patek sub-forum!
Old 24 January 2018, 09:10 AM   #65
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
This thread has certainly livened up the Patek sub-forum!
And no one has gotten banned yet!

Have I spoken to soon?
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 09:11 AM   #66
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
It’s legit info, reach out to your AD to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have received similar confirmation to others here, albeit not with the specific price details. Thank you for bringing this information to the forum, Bek.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 09:15 AM   #67
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Lol. Not suggesting they planned it this way, but clearly demand for steel nautilus is sky-high at the moment. It also appears various other stables of the line-up are not super popular at the moment. So increasing prices on the very in-demand watches seems fine to me is all I'm saying.
I had a dear old Aunt from Buenos Aires who smoked till she was 80 and went to Vegas as often as she could, and she'd always tell me, "It's better to be lucky than good."
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 09:20 AM   #68
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had a dear old Aunt from Buenos Aires who smoked till she was 80 and went to Vegas as often as she could, and she'd always tell me, "It's better to be lucky than good."
Hear, hear! I learned that early in my days in my career (and my golf game!)...

Old 24 January 2018, 09:26 AM   #69
Bek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remz07twos View Post
exactly how i feel about the 5167. i hope this stays a nautilus only issue

My gut feeling is telling me there will be price increase in whole line up since they raised the prices on steel. But at the end who am I to predict but from their first move it’s hard to to predict that

Bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 09:28 AM   #70
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Anyone want to do a straight swap of a 5711/1a for a 5711/1r?
I luv ya, Mike, but no deal.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 09:29 AM   #71
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek View Post
My gut feeling is telling me there will be price increase in whole line up since they raised the prices on steel. But at the end who am I to predict but from their first move it’s hard to to predict that

oh I'm sure there will be an increase, but will it be 20% across all steel pieces or just nautiluses(nautili?)?
remz07twos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 09:30 AM   #72
Bek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
I have received similar confirmation to others here, albeit not with the specific price details. Thank you for bringing this information to the forum, Bek.

I’m glad I could help

Old 24 January 2018, 09:32 AM   #73
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

I suspect with the increase in price will come an increase in supply, as it must be galling for Patek and Rolex to see such huge profiteering from grey dealers who have put no work into the product but are just "handling" them. Rolex UK have made huge and very unpopular moves to cut down the greys, and AP look like they are making moves too, so I believe Patek will do the same now. As they are not disco-ing the Nautiluses as TS indicated he wanted to, I think now they will have to do the reverse and increase supply and prices to balance both the market and WIS perception of them as a functioning company.

Who knows maybe the Govberg thread did have an influence after all.
Old 24 January 2018, 09:34 AM   #74
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is this US only? Could be a response to the weak dollar and the decrease from a few years back.

Yeah

HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 09:34 AM   #75
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I suspect with the increase in price will come an increase in supply, as it must be galling for Patek and Rolex to see such huge profiteering from grey dealers who have put no work into the product but are just "handling" them. Rolex UK have made huge and very unpopular moves to cut down the greys, and AP look like they are making moves too, so I believe Patek will do the same now. As they are not disco-ing the Nautiluses as TS indicated he wanted to, I think now they will have to do the reverse and increase supply and prices.

Agreed. Someone paid 18k for bitcoin. Someone traded their home and farm for a tulip bulb. And someone will buy a second hand 5711 steel for 45k, but once the market figures out the supply has increased, I'd assume the MSRP and grey prices will reconnect.
Old 24 January 2018, 09:37 AM   #76
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agreed. Someone paid 18k for bitcoin. Someone traded their home and farm for a tulip bulb. And someone will buy a second hand 5711 steel for 45k, but once the market figures out the supply has increased, I'd assume the MSRP and grey prices will reconnect.
I think all the brands are starting to see the current situation is out of control and is only hurting their true customers, while only flippers and speculators and greys rejoice. Internet hype is one thing and to be enjoyed in small doses, but sooner or later sanity and some degree of sense has to prevail.
Old 24 January 2018, 09:45 AM   #77
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think all the brands are starting to see the current situation is out of control and is only hurting their true customers, while only flippers and speculators and greys rejoice. Internet hype is one thing and to be enjoyed in small doses, but sooner or later sanity and some degree of sense has to prevail.
I'm not positive it doesn't inure to their benefit. They get prestige attached to their name. They get a reward for their VIP clients. They get a bargaining chip to attach to their harder to move and/or more expensive pieces.

They stuff with the greys, I'm sure bothers them, but I guess that's what the moves to control the secondary market and to resell preowned pieces is aimed at.

The market is so small, it's like cable providers here in the US. Yes, Comcast is horrible, but so is Time Warner. Yeah, I'm pissed I can't get a 5711-1A, but I'm also pissed I can't get a steel openwork. So, what do I do, buy a Breguet? Or wait...
Old 24 January 2018, 09:45 AM   #78
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I suspect with the increase in price will come an increase in supply, as it must be galling for Patek and Rolex to see such huge profiteering from grey dealers who have put no work into the product but are just "handling" them. Rolex UK have made huge and very unpopular moves to cut down the greys, and AP look like they are making moves too, so I believe Patek will do the same now. As they are not disco-ing the Nautiluses as TS indicated he wanted to, I think now they will have to do the reverse and increase supply and prices to balance both the market and WIS perception of them as a functioning company.

So just like that, Thierry's promise to keep SS pieces limited will go out the window? Maybe he has no choice? These are interesting times, that's for sure!
Old 24 January 2018, 09:46 AM   #79
Bek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remz07twos View Post
oh I'm sure there will be an increase, but will it be 20% across all steel pieces or just nautiluses(nautili?)?

I’d say all models by saying whole line up

Old 24 January 2018, 09:47 AM   #80
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
So just like that, Thierry's promise to keep SS pieces limited will go out the window? Maybe he has no choice? These are interesting times, that's for sure!
Maybe this was his Cuban Missile Crisis and he played brinkmanship with his bane, the Nautilus, but ultimately the market has spoken... and the Nautilus stays!
Old 24 January 2018, 10:16 AM   #81
darma
"TRF" Member

price increase

i was told in person by my AD yesterday that the 20% increase takes effect in New Zealand effect immediately for only the 5711 and 5712 in steel.
darma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 10:16 AM   #82
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
I would think a 20% price increase coupled with supply increase may be a bit aggressive. At the new MSRP for the 5712 it isn’t much different than current secondary. They certainly lay don’t want to overshoot and go back to the days of the nautilus sitting in cases. Would surprise me if supple increased as well.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 10:36 AM   #83
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Whilst members are unwilling to share the manufacture's email, is anyone able to elaborate on its content if there are further details set out within it?
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 10:43 AM   #84
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Man I’m on the list for a 5711 and didn’t make it in time

Old 24 January 2018, 10:43 AM   #85
KWSub
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
Quote:
Whilst members are unwilling to share the manufacture's email, is anyone able to elaborate on its content if there are further details set out within it?
I can concur that I saw the email today about the price increase as well, but not about any further details.
KWSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 10:45 AM   #86
CRDMMW
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I was offered a 5712g this weekend at 10% off from an AD. That’s sounding pretty good now!

CRDMMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 10:54 AM   #87
Toony
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Grey prices are already north of that anyways and hasn’t softened demand.
Oh I know. And anyone paying those prices are nuts.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 10:55 AM   #88
Bek
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There are no other details. All it says other models will follow and announce the pricing on Basel day. There is nothing else to see

Old 24 January 2018, 11:02 AM   #89
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agree and makes sense

Old 24 January 2018, 11:28 AM   #90
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
I seriously doubt an increase in production. I don't think they care or think as deeply as you guys are.
It's like Hamilton tickets in NYC, they raised the tickets to about 1k to reduce the margin between real
and secondary markets.
Unfortunately, no xtra seats are available just like there will not be additional 5711 and 5712s.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote