ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 January 2020, 10:40 PM   #61
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Servicing a Patek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreambreaX View Post
Nothing is perfect

Personally I think that the SWISS ETA and rolex movement are strong.

I believe the rolex is stronger durability compare to patek. anyone agree?

I probably agree and while disappointed, not angry. I own 3 PP's, my wife has 1. 5164 is only one to have had any issue thus far, that's solid to me. :knockonwood:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 12:25 AM   #62
DreambreaX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergiveup View Post
I far from a expert, but owning an aquanaut and subs my entire life I would say they are equal in everyday activities. Maybe a slight edge Rolex for extreme activities. But I prefer my Patak for the detail put into making the case and movement !
if it is equal still disadvantage for patek, because patek price is 3-5x higher.
DreambreaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 12:41 AM   #63
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreambreaX View Post
if it is equal still disadvantage for patek, because patek price is 3-5x higher.
Only if "robustness" is your only criteria. How do you compare Rolex and G shock in terms of robustness and price?
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:10 AM   #64
DreambreaX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Only if "robustness" is your only criteria. How do you compare Rolex and G shock in terms of robustness and price?
g shock is battery

while rolex and patek both are mechanical swiss watches.
DreambreaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 01:52 AM   #65
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I have a Rolex GMTII "root beer," pretty watch, eye-catching...until you see it next to a Patek 5205G-013....which has sublime lines, details, and proportions...then the Rolex looks like a lump of gold with coarse details.
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 09:24 AM   #66
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
I have a Rolex GMTII "root beer," pretty watch, eye-catching...until you see it next to a Patek 5205G-013....which has sublime lines, details, and proportions...then the Rolex looks like a lump of gold with coarse details.
Bingo
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:51 AM   #67
Patekandrolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post
All watches should be serviced within 3 to 5 years althugh longer intervals are perfectly possible withut major damage in many (but not all) cases.

The main issue for me is the service turnaround time. If you thought Rolex service times were bad wait util you see Patek's. It's absolutely outrageous. The ramp up in production numbers doesn't seem to have included a ramp up in service capability. I can imagine how many watches they'd sell if they told all potential customers that a service evry 3 years will take between 3 and 6 months for a simple calendar watch. 12 months for a perpetual is not unheard of.... If you bought a complicated watch then over a lifetime of 50 years it could be in the shop for over a decade!

I have my ref 96 serviced locally as I'm not prepared to pay thousands and wait years. I find the service issue particulalrly annoying as they harp on about it in their literature and advertising but the reality is quite different.

Having said all that I do love my Patek watches.

5 years i think, not 3 years.
Patekandrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 06:31 PM   #68
enricotambunan
"TRF" Member

Hi all,

I’m located in Sydney and unfortunately Australia doesnt have a Patek service centre (nor AP). They only have “authorised service centre” in Patek website.

Would you recommend to service your Patek (and AP) at an “authorised SC” i.e. not at Patek themselves. I have a 5980; which is just a chronograph.

Last year I serviced my AP in Singapore - which is a “proper” (if that’s the right word) AP Service Centre. With the covid situation, I have no other option but to service my Patek in Australia.

Also - has anyone serviced their watch at either:
- Precision Timing in Melbourne
- Master Watchmaking in Sydney

Any good? Would you recommend me servicing my watches with them? Or do I better wait till Covid issue subsides and bring them to Singapore/HK again? My 5980 is now gaining by ~5 minutes a day

Thanks
enricotambunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 02:22 AM   #69
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
On the subject of service times - I brought a 5712 for service, it was a few months past the warranty for a free service (I think you have to do it in the first 3 years), but still managed to get one since I was buying another watch. Everything was done in 6 weeks.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 02:33 AM   #70
Nat123
"TRF" Member

I service them when there is an issue, not before. And only with Patek. The watches are well made and don't really need someone to open them up every 5 years in my humble experience. I know all the recommendations re regular service. However actions speak louder than words. Mr Stern himself didn't bother with regular maintenance with his beloved 3940.
Nat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 04:57 AM   #71
ts3
"TRF" Member

Also on service times... My 5711 ran awfully fast near the end of the warranty period. After some deliberation I had it sent in in early July as the local Patek Service Center does not allow visits at this point for COVID. Got it back in less than 6 weeks no problem.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 02:00 AM   #72
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Why service a watch before it loses accuracy or stops if the service routine includes the cost of replacement parts? They don’t say they charge extra if it hasn’t had a service within the last 5 years.

As was pointed out above, PP makes its real dosh from servicing. After year 5 of sales they are servicing 60,000 x £1500+...... each year!
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote