The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 April 2012, 09:45 AM   #31
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post
They will indeed service any watch they have made but I'm guessing that when they quote many thousands for a simple seevice and a timescale in yeas they really don't want to do it. When the watch has a market value less than the repair cost it's a convenient way of them not honouring their pledge.

The costs on their website are for new model watches only. You'll notice that complications and vintage are not included....

The claim that they will make parts is also a little dubious. They often use incorrect crowns on vintage watches because they don't have any stock of the correct ones.....
I can only speak from first hand knowledge of their service. I had a grand complication repaired and returned in five weeks.

I'm sure Patek's service costs as a percentage of original retail are low in comparison to other brands. If it costs 2k to service a 50K annual calendar is that more expensive than spending $500 to service an 8K watch?

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 04:44 PM   #32
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

Impressive!

Five weeks is an impressive turnaround.

Does anyone else have experiences similar to this to add? My only experience had been a warranty issue on a simple calendar which took 3 months for the first trip and a further two trips after that before it was sorted.
Old 13 January 2020, 03:19 AM   #33
Erson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post
I can imagine how many watches they'd sell if they told all potential customers that a service evry 3 years will take between 3 and 6 months for a simple calendar watch. 12 months for a perpetual is not unheard of.... If you bought a complicated watch then over a lifetime of 50 years it could be in the shop for over a decade!

I have my ref 96 serviced locally as I'm not prepared to pay thousands and wait years. I find the service issue particulalrly annoying as they harp on about it in their literature and advertising but the reality is quite different.

Having said all that I do love my Patek watches.
Erson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 06:56 AM   #34
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

My 5170 was handed in for service in June of last year.
Still not back.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:27 AM   #35
italiafan
"TRF" Member

My 5726/1a got stuck in between months. Went in for service under warranty (this was ~6 years ago), and got it back in ~8 weeks.
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:35 AM   #36
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
I m not worry too much on the movement rather on the WR.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 10:06 AM   #37
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I would say seven years on the outside. I service sooner if the rate regulation gets of by more than say five seconds per day. I have have numerous Rolexes in for service over the years and each one, coincidently, was at seven years. My Calatrava took eighteen weeks for a COA at Henri Stern returned in about six weeks ago. My daughter’s Rolex last service was six weeks at RWSC in Dallas.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 02:45 PM   #38
Erson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
My 5170 was handed in for service in June of last year.
Still not back.
Where do u service? london?
Old 13 January 2020, 06:47 PM   #39
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erson View Post
Where do u service? london?
Yes.
Although they always send to Geneva.
My AD are really good people too.
Old 13 January 2020, 08:20 PM   #40
Erson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
Yes.
Although they always send to Geneva.
My AD are really good people too.
From London to Geneva is quite close, compare from Jakarta to Geneva.
But the waiting time is still ridiculous
Old 14 January 2020, 01:00 AM   #41
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
Just think about this. Patek is really not a manufacture of fine timepieces, as they really only make 50-60k per year. I believe they have turned into a watch repair company. If they have produced 1M watches and just 10% go in for service every year, that's 100,000 watches in for service, twice the number they manufacture. If the recommenced service interval of 5 years is standard, then that number doubles to 200,000 watches per year.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 01:16 AM   #42
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

My 1.5 year old 5164a just stopped a couple of weeks ago and brought it to my AD to be sent to NYC. I was told 3-6 months. This being my first PP issue, I was very disappointed, especially since it would be a warranty repair. AP in my experience would have this turned around in 6 weeks.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 01:26 AM   #43
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
Just think about this. Patek is really not a manufacture of fine timepieces, as they really only make 50-60k per year. I believe they have turned into a watch repair company. If they have produced 1M watches and just 10% go in for service every year, that's 100,000 watches in for service, twice the number they manufacture. If the recommenced service interval of 5 years is standard, then that number doubles to 200,000 watches per year.

I don't think Thierry has fully grasped this.
Old 14 January 2020, 02:04 AM   #44
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is a pretty interesting concept there.
I think it is utterly shameful to sell a very expensive luxury item on the premise of "fine craftsmanship" and "perfection," to then have a warranty item take 3-6 months to repair....shameful.
And before someone take issue with "perfection" recall that their "brand" is essentially the best made, most complicated works of mechanical art that take months to manufacture and assemble.

The worm is turning for all luxury brands, and they need to take notice. Ferrari is an example.
Old 14 January 2020, 02:12 AM   #45
martinr
"TRF" Member

I had two watches go back while under warranty. A 5980 which was handled by H. Stern in NYC and a 5905 which had to go back to Geneva. Both took three months approximately. Not exactly a quick turnaround but what I was expecting.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 02:19 AM   #46
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I plan on 5 year intervals. With Rolex I don't service until it needs it, which was 15 years on my old datejust.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 02:22 AM   #47
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I had two watches go back while under warranty. A 5980 which was handled by H. Stern in NYC and a 5905 which had to go back to Geneva. Both took three months approximately. Not exactly a quick turnaround but what I was expecting.
Curious...what percentage of your Patek watches needed warranty work?
Old 14 January 2020, 02:23 AM   #48
jd57
"TRF" Member

I have used Henry Stern in NY for two pre-owned pieces - a 5070R and a 5124J. Both came back a week or two faster than predicted, but prediction was 4+ months for 5070 and 3+ months for 5124 (one of Patek's simplest movements). In comparison my limited experience with AP brought a 15400 back within a month, and ALS, including laser refinishing of the cases, was 1-2 months at the boutique for a couple pieces and under 3 months for shipping to Germany and back (for the RL PLM, a fairly complicated movement).

Clearly service time is still an issue for PP compared to their peers.
jd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 02:30 AM   #49
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
Curious...what percentage of your Patek watches needed warranty work?
Two of the fourteen I’ve owned. The 5905 had a pusher that was loose and I was worried it would fall off. Not a major issue. But the 5980 was bad, the chrono wouldn’t reset and then the chrono second hand just started spinning backwards! They fixed it but I never felt good about the watch after that and sold it.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 03:32 AM   #50
Erson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
My 1.5 year old 5164a just stopped a couple of weeks ago and brought it to my AD to be sent to NYC. I was told 3-6 months. This being my first PP issue, I was very disappointed, especially since it would be a warranty repair. AP in my experience would have this turned around in 6 weeks.
Your watch just 1.5 years and completely dead? How come? Do you do sports? Running?
Old 14 January 2020, 03:35 AM   #51
Erson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Two of the fourteen I’ve owned. The 5905 had a pusher that was loose and I was worried it would fall off. Not a major issue. But the 5980 was bad, the chrono wouldn’t reset and then the chrono second hand just started spinning backwards! They fixed it but I never felt good about the watch after that and sold it.
How long do they fix? Why u sell it? Never felt good why? It is already fix
Old 14 January 2020, 03:40 AM   #52
Erson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
That is a pretty interesting concept there.
I think it is utterly shameful to sell a very expensive luxury item on the premise of "fine craftsmanship" and "perfection," to then have a warranty item take 3-6 months to repair....shameful.
And before someone take issue with "perfection" recall that their "brand" is essentially the best made, most complicated works of mechanical art that take months to manufacture and assemble.

The worm is turning for all luxury brands, and they need to take notice. Ferrari is an example.
This need to be read by Thiery Stern
Old 14 January 2020, 03:41 AM   #53
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erson View Post
Your watch just 1.5 years and completely dead? How come? Do you do sports? Running?

Yup, just stopped completely. I wear it maybe 1-2 times a week, likely less. No sports with it, running, etc. My AD was looking for dings, marks, etc all over the watch. He couldn't believe this just happened. But it did. Absolutely no reason for it, curious what PP comes back with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 03:57 AM   #54
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlinboy View Post
I'm sure the service interval varies depending on the model/complications.

Curious about Patek service turnaround time vs. AP - I've heard it can take months, anyone have recent experience?

I sent my RO to AP’s service center. Took three months. I saw that Oklahoma State watch making school is no more. One less avenue to find qualified watchmakers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 04:20 AM   #55
yoast
"TRF" Member

I think Patek service times are absolutely ridiculous.. It's probably faster to sell the current watch when it's time for a service and buy the same one again incl waitlist.

The last watch I had serviced was a rolex 16520 zenith daytona in HK and I got it back in 10 days.
Old 14 January 2020, 04:45 AM   #56
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
I think Patek service times are absolutely ridiculous.. It's probably faster to sell the current watch when it's time for a service and buy the same one again incl waitlist.

The last watch I had serviced was a rolex 16520 zenith daytona in HK and I got it back in 10 days.
Speed of repair is a terrible metric on which to judge a service. Fast rarely equals good.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:08 AM   #57
ts3
"TRF" Member

I've had no issues so far. Patek Germany is a 5 min bicycle ride from where I live. Much closer than my AD who is 100+ miles away. As a result I drop off and pick up stuff in person at Patek. Standard service on a 3998P Calatrava took closer to 6 weeks than 6 months and the cost was in line with what is published on the Patek website. They do normal work locally rather than shipping stuff to Geneva and I found them forthcoming and helpful on other matters as well.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 03:40 PM   #58
DreambreaX
Banned

Quote:
This is BIG MONEY lol
DreambreaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 03:42 PM   #59
DreambreaX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Yup, just stopped completely. I wear it maybe 1-2 times a week, likely less. No sports with it, running, etc. My AD was looking for dings, marks, etc all over the watch. He couldn't believe this just happened. But it did. Absolutely no reason for it, curious what PP comes back with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nothing is perfect

Personally I think that the SWISS ETA and rolex movement are strong.

I believe the rolex is stronger durability compare to patek. anyone agree?
DreambreaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 06:59 PM   #60
nevergiveup
Banned

I far from a expert, but owning an aquanaut and subs my entire life I would say they are equal in everyday activities. Maybe a slight edge Rolex for extreme activities. But I prefer my Patak for the detail put into making the case and movement !
nevergiveup is offline   Reply With Quote