The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 1 September 2020, 03:31 AM   #1
15400ST
"TRF" Member

Ditching Rolex for Patek.. Anyone?

Has anyone on here ditched Rolex in favor of a Patek? Not that Patek is much better when it comes to the Nautilus, Aquanaut, etc., but I'm tired of the "buy this to get that" game from Rolex AD's and the second hand market pricing is unsustainable in my opinion. I've now started debating the "crazy move" of ditching my bluesy and pepsi (both 5 digit) to go to a APRO and Patek (5396, 5230, 5205?) only combo.

Has anyone done this? Any regrets? Did you miss the variety in your collection? Did you miss having a Rolex?
15400ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 04:44 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Some Rolex owners also own a Patek. Most Patek owners also own a Rolex.

You can own watches from both brands and enjoy them both. Patek has several ACs as you know, whereas Rolex only has one. Patek is known for the World Time, whereas Rolex does not make one. Patek makes a wider range of watches that will interest someone at one level or another.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 04:56 AM   #3
Platypus
Banned

Why not own both?
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 05:07 AM   #4
ufboy73
Banned

If you are tired of ‘games’, I would say moving from rolex to patek is a lateral move, at best!
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 05:34 AM   #5
0xalate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167
^^ This.

I have watches from both camps, but I have to say my focus is purely Patek now. As others have said, you can enjoy a Rolex for a completely different reason than a Patek.

Rolex is great but after "doing the rounds" for all sport models, It's...the same? lol.

To each their own...
0xalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 05:47 AM   #6
aj_tucker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
I’m in the middle of this myself, thought not necessarily just Patek. Dress watches are much more interesting: The complications are more varied, the cases have their own personality from each manufacture, and the vibe is totally different. All Rolexes, with a few exceptions, hit the same note and just look boring.

Unless you’re talking vintage, where it’s a bit of a different story. Would love a great reverse panda 6263 but can’t stomach the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aj_tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 05:56 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Both is the way to go.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 06:01 AM   #8
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I think having both in a collection is a great thing (diversity). However if you are looking to avoid games and bundling, I don't think you'll be happy with the results at Patek.

I think overall, Patek might be a bit better than Rolex ADs as they always reserve some of their allocations for the "true" collectors, however the timeline to build a relationship the proper way is longer. The $ numbers are also much larger.

A true Patek lover and relationship builder is to start with a Calatrava or annual calendar. Most people coming from Rolex will have sticker shock paying $20-$50k for a first watch purchase with minimal discount. If you do this right, you may buy 1-2 dress pieces and perhaps get a Nautilus in 1-2 years.

If you want to go the bundling route (I do not suggest this), you can certainty do this - but it will likely determine the type of relationship you have with the AD. However expect to pay for a perpetual calendar or grand complication in the $80k-$200k and then get a nautilus almost immediately.

In both cases, they may decide to withhold the papers on the nautilus for a year.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15400ST View Post
Has anyone on here ditched Rolex in favor of a Patek? Not that Patek is much better when it comes to the Nautilus, Aquanaut, etc., but I'm tired of the "buy this to get that" game from Rolex AD's and the second hand market pricing is unsustainable in my opinion. I've now started debating the "crazy move" of ditching my bluesy and pepsi (both 5 digit) to go to a APRO and Patek (5396, 5230, 5205?) only combo.

Has anyone done this? Any regrets? Did you miss the variety in your collection? Did you miss having a Rolex?
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 06:07 AM   #9
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
If you are tired of ‘games’, I would say moving from rolex to patek is a lateral move, at best!
True but at least with Patek you have some good buys on pre owned market for dressy pieces.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 06:15 AM   #10
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
if you want to move to dress watches then definitely Patek is better brand. In terms of watch game, Patek sports models and some complication models are much harder to get, completely different ball games.
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 06:19 AM   #11
15400ST
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I realize that many have both in a collection and that it doesn't have to be all or nothing, I guess I'm just trying to decide if I'm at the point where I want to move on from Rolex to focus solely on higher end pieces and looking to see if anyone else who has done that had regrets?

While Patek definitely runs the same game with the Nautilus and Aquanaut, it doesn't seem to be as prevalent for the dress pieces I would be interested in.
Old 1 September 2020, 06:39 AM   #12
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

I can hardly afford a rolex as it is. Patek is on another level of income thats not currently present for me. There also on another level of watch.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 07:39 AM   #13
ts3
"TRF" Member

Never owned a Rolex but lower-end kit and Patek can certainly co-exist. I love to wear my 20 year old IWC Mark XV tool watch just like I love to wear my 20 year old Calatrava and my more recent Nautilus. All keepers.

That said, I sold a few low- and mid-level watches over the years but never to fund a Patek or some other specific piece. I just did not love them (anymore) which means they had to go.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 08:11 AM   #14
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
I believe once you get used to the finishing of Patek Philiippe, AP and VC all of a sudden Rolex appear to be on a different level.
i'm sorry if this will offend some people, but i would never compare Rolex with the holy trinity. Rolex is more comparable to Omega.
I had a datejust and batman before i bought my first Patek. when i bought my first and secone patek the datejust saw no wrist time what so ever.
when i bought my VCOS my batman saw no wrist time what so ever (all of a sudden the batman felt very rough on the edges when compared to the amazing finishing of VC).
when i got my APRO 15500 i started really considering selling my Datejust (although it is my first real luxary watch).
azizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 09:02 AM   #15
15400ST
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
I believe once you get used to the finishing of Patek Philiippe, AP and VC all of a sudden Rolex appear to be on a different level.
i'm sorry if this will offend some people, but i would never compare Rolex with the holy trinity. Rolex is more comparable to Omega.
I had a datejust and batman before i bought my first Patek. when i bought my first and secone patek the datejust saw no wrist time what so ever.
when i bought my VCOS my batman saw no wrist time what so ever (all of a sudden the batman felt very rough on the edges when compared to the amazing finishing of VC).
when i got my APRO 15500 i started really considering selling my Datejust (although it is my first real luxary watch).
This is more along the lines of what I was asking about. For those that have gone all Patek/AP/VC, do you ever feel the urge to add a Rolex back in to your collection?
Old 1 September 2020, 09:10 AM   #16
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is more along the lines of what I was asking about. For those that have gone all Patek/AP/VC, do you ever feel the urge to add a Rolex back in to your collection?
Nope. I do add FPJ and interestingly I start to also like microbrands but definitely not Rolex.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 10:32 AM   #17
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
You’ll be back. It’s a sickness.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 10:47 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Duck yes, I’ve left Rolex before and it lasted about a week.

Never go Sans Rolex. It’s a mistake.
Old 1 September 2020, 11:24 AM   #19
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
I like certain models from each brand. but yeah PP price range and availability has limited my current collection to a single calatrava lol
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 12:04 PM   #20
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaic View Post
You’ll be back. It’s a sickness.
Truth
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 04:28 PM   #21
Noak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Having gone from Rolex to Patek, AP and FP Journe, I started to appreciate the finer details in the dial, case and movement of each watch that I own, including the Rolex but I didn’t feel a strong urge to add a Rolex to my collection. I was offered and accepted a Daytona white dial recently from my AD, but I wasn’t as excited as I thought I would and this is a watch that I was crazy about back when it was launched.

So it’s either the hype earlier that made me wanted a particular Rolex or the fact that I appreciate Patek/AP/FPJ more so I no longer feel an urge to add Rolex.

Between Patek and FPJ, I feel more for the latter.

IG: @marc.gmt8
Noak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 06:08 PM   #22
guanxi
"TRF" Member

Rolex and Patek complement each other perfectly in a collection!
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 09:56 PM   #23
A971
"TRF" Member

I really enjoy my Patek, but would never think get rid of the Rolex in my collection.

Stay focused on the "Why" of what you're after... helps avoid falling into the hype of certain pieces, and makes the overall experience a lot more enjoyable.
A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 10:05 PM   #24
PattayaHammerTime
"TRF" Member

Got a Rolex, Got a Patek and mostly wear a Hublot… I know what a weirdo eh!!!
PattayaHammerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 10:32 PM   #25
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattayaHammerTime View Post
Got a Rolex, Got a Patek and mostly wear a Hublot… I know what a weirdo eh!!!
I like hublot, never owned one though. Didn’t they make some sort of gold that doesn’t scratch? I’d be interested in that.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 02:30 AM   #26
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

I haven’t owned a luxury watch yet. I was very set on Rolex for awhile but then I started looking into Patek more and more. I just appreciate the finer details in a Patek plus the Skelton case back to see movement. I will be attempting to add a Patek within the coming months. Good luck!
Old 2 September 2020, 02:44 AM   #27
scurfa
"TRF" Member

I was always Rolex and sold a few off to buy a Nautilus, I regret it as I was very underwhelmed by the Nautilus, pins in the bracelet and it went back twice, this put me off buying more, six years later I bought the 5196 I’ve always loved and so far so good, the newer movement in the Nautilus does have me tempted.
Old 2 September 2020, 03:30 AM   #28
liborguy
"TRF" Member

i tend to hold on to all of my watches as they often have great sentimental value for me. having said that, patek philippe is the pinnacle of watchmaking in my eyes. collecting watches is about experiences and about the journey and my advice would be to try to determine what kind of experiences and emotions each brand stirs up within yourself! patek finishing and design has so much dna it's difficult to put into words why i love the brand so much but maybe you understand what i'm writing
liborguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 03:57 AM   #29
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t ditch but I would upgrade my future buys to Patek!
Old 2 September 2020, 04:29 AM   #30
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I own two Patek and three Rolexes all are nice and reflect the quality of design plus engineering of the movements. I don’t compare as it can’t be done, totally different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote