The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 October 2020, 06:50 AM   #5131
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Nice close for tech - not so much the rest of the market.

MSFT beats on revenue and EPS, but little change on the price as of now. This seems to be the standard for most tech companies Q3 - strong beats with little price action, as earnings seem to be priced in. Only true outlier has been SNAP thus far, which again caused the subsequent rise in PINS, FB, GOOGL in the last week.

PINS reports tomorrow, with FB and GOOGL (as well as AMZN) on Thursday.

Ya, MSFT true to form with slow steady moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 09:05 AM   #5132
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Are there any good financial sources that aren’t riddled with politics. I’ve been using Morningstar mainly because the actual numbers are separate from articles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 10:09 AM   #5133
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Nightly Business Report was good for me until CNBC killed it. Still enjoy Marketplace on the radio but it's changed a bit during COVID.

Hard to avoid any political bent when there's a profit motive imo.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:25 AM   #5134
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
QUOTE=cornerstore;11023198] Crash of 87’ coincided at the height of social usage during the frantic cocaine era.
I wasn't nearly old enough to be a trader back then but its interesting to compare market valuations from '87 to now. If we're on some other upper/downer binge maybe expect larger movements today?

Here's the CAPE historically:[/QUOTE]

Speaking of coincidence, today’s story headline .

“Most investors now expect the U.S. stock market to crash like it did in October 1987 — why that’s good news”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mo...?siteid=yhoof2
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FE653064-5C00-4911-9BF8-65929A084EF2.jpeg (61.0 KB, 173 views)
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 02:04 PM   #5135
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstore View Post
Speaking of coincidence, today’s story headline .
Interesting thanks for posting. I'm with Schiller when it comes to valuation but the contrarian view considering the negative sentiment is an important factor.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 04:02 PM   #5136
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaco View Post
Are there any good financial sources that aren’t riddled with politics. I’ve been using Morningstar mainly because the actual numbers are separate from articles

hard to separate financial news from politics this close to an election IMO... everyone’s got a take re: what their expected election result will mean for XYZ investments, etc....
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 10:14 PM   #5137
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Boeing, Microsoft, General Electric, Dodgers - 5 Things You Must Know Wednesday

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/5-...dnesday-102820

Hope people have their shopping lists and cash ready, futures down -476, need to watch 3314 on the S&P with the next stop at 3200

Not buying yet, will be looking to start some new positions and average down in others. Also getting to be time to start thinking about tax loss harvesting for those who need to do so.

MSFT, UPS, BX all beat. I am long MSFT and UPS and may start a position in BX. I may add to MSFT and UPS if they sell off this week with the rest of the market.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 10:17 PM   #5138
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Boeing, Microsoft, General Electric, Dodgers - 5 Things You Must Know Wednesday

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/5-...dnesday-102820

Hope people have their shopping lists and cash ready, futures down -476, need to watch 3314 on the S&P with the next stop at 3200

Not buying yet, will be looking to start some new positions and average down in others. Also getting to be time to start thinking about tax loss harvesting for those who need to do so.

MSFT, UPS, BX all beat. I am long MSFT and UPS and may start a position in BX. I may add to MSFT and UPS if they sell off this week with the rest of the market.
PINS, TDOC and FSLY all report at close today. Looking to increase position sizes in all 3 with strong earnings / guidance but weak price action.
Old 28 October 2020, 10:17 PM   #5139
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
hard to separate financial news from politics this close to an election IMO... everyone’s got a take re: what their expected election result will mean for XYZ investments, etc....
Events are just that, look past the type of event and analyze the outcomes.

Quote:

I use Morningstar for individual stock research. I like Argus and Ned Davis as well. I like Market Edge for the technicals. Those are all available if you are a Schwab client. I like Seeking Alpha and just ignore the political.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 28 October 2020, 10:18 PM   #5140
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
PINS, TDOC and FSLY all report at close today. Looking to increase position sizes in all 3 with strong earnings / guidance but weak price action.
TDOC might come back to my buy point but I believe FSLY is now a broken stock.
Old 28 October 2020, 10:20 PM   #5141
JParm

Quote:
TDOC might come back to my buy point but I believe FSLY is now a broken stock.
I'm listening in at 5 pm on FSLY's call - I want to see what the company has to say for the future / what the Signal Sciences move brings to the table. We know they're in the 70-71 M range, so not too concerned about actual Q3 numbers.
Old 28 October 2020, 10:34 PM   #5142
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Haven’t seen them mentioned yet, but I’m a fan of simplywallst and tipranks for data.

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 10:34 PM   #5143
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Do Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Until...

https://seekingalpha.com/article/438...-nothing-until

I agree and this is my current plan for the next three months, my 12-18 month outlook is still bullish
Old 28 October 2020, 10:58 PM   #5144
77T

Quote:
Do Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Until...

https://seekingalpha.com/article/438...-nothing-until

I agree and this is my current plan for the next three months, my 12-18 month outlook is still bullish

Certainly agree on the investment front.

But...this would be a good day to step away from the screen or trading turret. Get up from your chair...go out to a nearby beautiful natural place. Spend at least an hour on mild walking or energetic exercise.

Puts a new perspective on what’s happening and de-stress your brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:53 PM   #5145
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Started small positions in BX, LOW, DOW. Averaged down in DXCM, ABBV. Added to UPS after a stellar quarter.

Will be watching throughout the day for more opportunities. Europe close will be key, below 3314 on the S&P, need 3200 to hold as before
Old 29 October 2020, 12:16 AM   #5146
logo
"TRF" Member

Was debating selling my MSFT/GOOGL/AMZN/AAPL yesterday, decided to stick it out- and now I have been punished lol.

Market is starting to be irrational longer than I can remain solvent, I fear. Hate seeing the big fluctuations without taking profits off long positions, but similarly they are long positions so I don’t really want to touch them. Tomorrow is a new day I suppose.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 12:23 AM   #5147
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Also getting to be time to start thinking about tax loss harvesting for those who need to do so.
WOW - you read my mind this week
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 12:28 AM   #5148
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Was debating selling my MSFT/GOOGL/AMZN/AAPL yesterday, decided to stick it out- and now I have been punished lol.

Market is starting to be irrational longer than I can remain solvent, I fear. Hate seeing the big fluctuations without taking profits off long positions, but similarly they are long positions so I don’t really want to touch them. Tomorrow is a new day I suppose.
Sorry you did not have stops to protect profits.

I am going to disagree, the markets are not irrational at all. Europe is close to another lockdown, cases are at an all time high in the US. (lets not derail the thread). The markets are awaiting the close of the European exchanges at the moment.

The markets are pricing in further slowdowns of business coupled with what will likely be disputed election results. Watch the action as we enter the weekend and be ready for the flush down to 3200 on the S&P.

Personally I have been buying today with the cash I raised weeks ago.
Old 29 October 2020, 12:35 AM   #5149
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Right there with you
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 12:36 AM   #5150
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post

I'm going into earnings today (PINS, TDOC, FSLY) and tomorrow (AMZN, GOOGL, FB) without any plans to reduce position / sellout.

We're seeing good numbers on earnings fronts in tech, which haven't been reflected in subsequent price action due to the runup we've had, but overall I think this shows that certain tech companies are doing well and will continue to do so. Thus, no reason to worry for me, as these are positions I'd like to hold for the long-term. As we always say around here, 12-18 months out, we'll be fine. Short-term pain, long-term gain.
Old 29 October 2020, 12:38 AM   #5151
beshannon
"TRF" Member

European index broke out of the channel below support, waiting for the NYSE to do the same

Complete risk off, even gold is down with the moves in the dollar

https://seekingalpha.com/news/362725...etite-for-risk
Old 29 October 2020, 12:59 AM   #5152
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry you did not have stops to protect profits.

I am going to disagree, the markets are not irrational at all. Europe is close to another lockdown, cases are at an all time high in the US. (lets not derail the thread). The markets are awaiting the close of the European exchanges at the moment.

The markets are pricing in further slowdowns of business coupled with what will likely be disputed election results. Watch the action as we enter the weekend and be ready for the flush down to 3200 on the S&P.

Understandable for the drop today given the points you’ve raised - I don’t disagree there. But in my view multiple back and forth S&P fluctuations of +/- 10% within a two month period is irrational volatility, not normal price action, especially when we’ve known about covid coming back, election uncertainty etc since March. And despite covid slowdowns, several businesses still performed very well. I think there is some jitteriness in investors right now that won’t resolve till next week.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 02:34 AM   #5153
Zack21
"TRF" Member

Would appreciate some insight regarding participating in IPO's. I have made multiple attempts this year to participate in IPO offerings through my broker (Fidelity) and completed the requisite indications of interest on my account but, I have yet to be offered any allocation of an IPO stock. To be candid, some have faltered out of the gate so I wasn't necessarily bothered but of course some have taken off. That happened again today with MAX (at least as of writing this post). Am I delusional into thinking that I will ever actually get to participate in an IPO? Thanks.
Zack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 02:44 AM   #5154
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack21 View Post
Would appreciate some insight regarding participating in IPO's. I have made multiple attempts this year to participate in IPO offerings through my broker (Fidelity) and completed the requisite indications of interest on my account but, I have yet to be offered any allocation of an IPO stock. To be candid, some have faltered out of the gate so I wasn't necessarily bothered but of course some have taken off. That happened again today with MAX (at least as of writing this post). Am I delusional into thinking that I will ever actually get to participate in an IPO? Thanks.
Perhaps ask them? Do you have sufficient experience, assets and capital to invest? What are the allocations?

https://www.fidelity.com/stock-trading/ipos
Old 29 October 2020, 03:02 AM   #5155
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
i dont know why you would want to. what you are saying is pre ipo or lock in ipo price. most have restrictions on selling. if you study IPOs most falter and then after insiders sell they recoup. just my 2 cents.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 03:13 AM   #5156
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:

European index broke out of the channel below support, waiting for the NYSE to do the same

Complete risk off, even gold is down with the moves in the dollar

https://seekingalpha.com/news/362725...etite-for-risk
are you a betting man? what is it going to do here....
Untitled.png

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 03:21 AM   #5157
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
are you a betting man? what is it going to do here....
Attachment 1179816
Good question, I never bet. I analyze. I believe we hold 3200. If not then we are in for a larger correction.
Old 29 October 2020, 03:24 AM   #5158
JParm

Quote:
Good question, I never bet. I analyze. I believe we hold 3200. If not then we are in for a larger correction.
Agree on holding at 3200, but if we look past that, I think 3000 is our next level of support.
Old 29 October 2020, 03:45 AM   #5159
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Look at fb ipo and its share price for a few years after...

Old 29 October 2020, 03:51 AM   #5160
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

I think if we head lower 2800 is the lowest we go. Not doing anything today (including looking at my account)and probably won’t entertain any ideas until at least Friday. Even then, with the election Tuesday, we could be in for more drama especially if a certain raising cap gains tax individual gets in. I still believe we push 4200 within 18 months. IMO we’re having a sale, but too much uncertainty in the next few days.