The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 September 2020, 01:58 AM   #91
yoast
"TRF" Member

funny how these threads always turn into a IOS vs Android battle...
Old 23 September 2020, 02:03 AM   #92
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I'll be on the bandwagon. I love my 11pro and am more than excited to under utilize the latest tech haha.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 02:24 AM   #93
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Why don’t you think so? Because they said so?
Well there was the famous bounty on the San Bernardino shooters phones. Mr. Cook has multiple times said things about privacy. I believe he is serious

I haven't dug through the financial statements, but I have been told the MSFT revenue is not insignificant. Intel chips are somewhat infamous for having "extra" features. (To establish some of the competitors. I won't even touch china right now, but there is a concern there of course.)

It's obvious Apple isn't 100% insular either. Snowden would not use an iphone.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 03:42 AM   #94
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
LOL, classic Android versus IOS thread. Been following this. Release was held off which suggests they are having issues bringing these new phones to market. Although this year it does not surprise me. Still like my 11, but battery life is starting to fade. I will most likely take the upgrade when it comes. Work pays for it anyways. Hope they offer full features in a smaller version. Based on the leaks it looks like they may offer a "pro" version in two sizes.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 03:44 AM   #95
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

An interesting issue is also the apps we place on the phone ourselves and in order to work we allow microphone, camera and tracking to be turned on.

I have very few apps and location services turned off BUT every new update there are things added that you have to turn off/on for all those "features" to work, or not

I basically treat it as there is zero privacy anymore. And I'm guessing if you can write code, someone can crack it. And unless you live in a closed system, trojans and malware can come in through various methods.

https://www.wired.com/story/companie...ts-target-ads/
Old 23 September 2020, 03:47 AM   #96
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
New IPHONE 12 soon to be announced

I was a Google die hard for years, using nothing but Nexus and Pixel. Swore by them. Swore at them. Eventually smashed my last Android handset because it would slow down so much I couldn’t log in at times.

Early on, Apple had some real deficiencies. Those were gone years ago. Each new iOS hones the experience even more.

I had the first Google Wallet NFC payment phone (long before Apple did it), but it wasn’t until Apple adopted their system that the real world adopted contactless payments. It works better on Apple.

I had the first Android Wear watch. Guess what? The Apple Watch works much better. Health apps integrate better. Smarthome integrates better. The mobile ticketing system works better.

Guess what? No slow downs, no crashes, etc...

Battery life is insanely better.

Also, the Nexus/Pixel had unforgivable bugs that Google wouldn’t fix on older versions. I remember one that made my speakerphone unusable. They also kill all updates at 2yrs and security updates at 3. This forces you to pay for a brand new phone. Apple gives you updates immediately (that are shockingly free of bugs relative to Android), and you can keep a phone 5 years or more because they keep updating longer. iPhone 6S was released Sept 2015. It gets iOS 14. That means it will be current until next fall (at least). That’s 6 years.

Oh, and they’re actually worth something if you want to sell them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 03:58 AM   #97
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I'm hoping for the rumored new small one that is smaller than the current SE but larger than the original SE. Here's more info on that:

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-12/

Not a fan of the trend to bigger phones.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 04:00 AM   #98
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
funny how these threads always turn into a IOS vs Android battle...
Really? I hadn’t noticed. ()

There is a lot of passion on both sides. If you’re happy with your xyz phone, good for you! Stay with it.
If your not happy with your phone, maybe try something different?
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 04:12 AM   #99
TheDude
"TRF" Member

New IPHONE 12 soon to be announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Well there was the famous bounty on the San Bernardino shooters phones. Mr. Cook has multiple times said things about privacy. I believe he is serious

I haven't dug through the financial statements, but I have been told the MSFT revenue is not insignificant. Intel chips are somewhat infamous for having "extra" features. (To establish some of the competitors. I won't even touch china right now, but there is a concern there of course.)

It's obvious Apple isn't 100% insular either. Snowden would not use an iphone.

Google Cellebrite

MSFT makes approx $10 per Android handset due to royalties from IP.

Snowden probably uses boutique Android ROMs that are devoid of all Google apps and locked down at the OS level. Not for the non-pro. For the lay person Apple is still the best option.

Old 23 September 2020, 04:34 AM   #100
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
I'm hoping for the rumored new small one that is smaller than the current SE but larger than the original SE. Here's more info on that:

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-12/

Not a fan of the trend to bigger phones.
I mentioned that earlier:

The new mini is 5.4 the 8 was 4.7 and the 6SE was 4.

So maybe it's in your ballpark. Personally I'd be happy if they came out with another 4 inch like the 6 SE.

I think I have to wait for some kind of folding screen.
Old 23 September 2020, 05:12 AM   #101
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I mentioned that earlier:

The new mini is 5.4 the 8 was 4.7 and the 6SE was 4.

So maybe it's in your ballpark. Personally I'd be happy if they came out with another 4 inch like the 6 SE.

I think I have to wait for some kind of folding screen.

I just hope one day they make the small phones the top of the range version, not the economy option.

My work iphone is so big I need two hands to actually use it effectively.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:18 AM   #102
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Better sorting of apps? Are you serious, Android has had an app draw for a gazillion years, you organise it how you want. Apple has had one for a week (and its not very good at that, all it is is an extra page tbh), other than that, apps were plastered over many screens. Access to data? You really don't know anything about Android, the access permissions are the same, you dont need to give permission before you download the app. How is that even possible? Updates, Google updates its apps as and when they are needed, not yearly. You are right about residual value and it being more of an old persons phone though.

Looking at your post, you really don't know about Android phones. Honestly.

I have a iPhone.
Thanks for your message, i have learned something :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Sure have to agree with you for sure. When I take a picture from my iPhone it automatically via ICLOUD is on my Mac Pro, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, etc etc etc..
Oh yes !! fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Propaganda does work.
it looks like you are in the business, if you are more information, i'll take it. For me, if Apple said that about the private life, i trust them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
You drink the Apple Kool-Aid. Nothing wrong with that, to each his own. I prefer to drink other liquids.
i tried android in vain
WILLIWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:24 AM   #103
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIWALKER View Post
Thanks for your message, i have learned something :)
Thank you. I have re read my post, I am not very good at portraying my feelings very well, I type as I speak, which doesn't come out as well as real life. My post looks very harsh, I certainly did not mean it too. I am sorry and apologise for it coming across as rude. Thank you once again for your very dignified response.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:54 AM   #104
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
LOL, classic Android versus IOS thread. Been following this. Release was held off which suggests they are having issues bringing these new phones to market. Although this year it does not surprise me. Still like my 11, but battery life is starting to fade. I will most likely take the upgrade when it comes. Work pays for it anyways. Hope they offer full features in a smaller version. Based on the leaks it looks like they may offer a "pro" version in two sizes.
Where are your cigar postings mate? Haven't seen you holding a cigar in ages!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:57 AM   #105
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Where are your cigar postings mate? Haven't seen you holding a cigar in ages!
LOL, for sure. Been less active on the forum. Trying to get more involved again. Still smoking for sure. Lots of AJ Fernandez cigars. I seem to like all his blends no matter who he makes them for. Oh and Roma Craft lately too.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 07:19 AM   #106
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIWALKER View Post
Sorry guys but i already tried and i don't understand how you can compare an iphone to a samsung or google.

There are several points but the first is privacy as mentioned above. Apple guarantees our privacy and we can manage everything in the settings without limits (location data, audio access, video ect) and without this preventing apps from launching or downloading them!
While on android, you are obliged to give access to your data before any download !!! It's incredible.

Add to that a better sorting of the apps on the app store than the Android, updates without any problem, access to parts and after-sales service at all times even on old iPhones, a higher residual value, a symbiosis iphone / ipad / mac and even beyond with googledrive, ease of access for all (I can give my iphone 8plus to my mother without worries, she will know how to use it) and the reliability / quality of the after-sales service.
That among the other points in your post which are also inaccurate is emphatically not true. Apple "says" they guarantee your privacy but this is definitely not true. Marketing mumbo jumbo.
I agree with another member, you are severely guilty of drinking Apple's kool-aid. Keep in mind that I switched from years of android to an 11Pro Max which I love and have gotten used to many features mainly because of the eco system support. If you have Apple computers and other gadgets, an iPhone makes things super easy.
Now I'm not naive enough to forget how far ahead android is compared to Apple IOS and hardware, I mean- no always on display or rapid refresh displays, native secure folders, things android has had for years, that's just like a couple of my tiny pet peeves, let's not even get into making the phone efficiently yours by organizing apps(you can't).

No real multi-tasking, picture in picture doesn't even work...I can literally split an android screen in half and type a word document on the bottom half and read an email relating to what I'm typing on the top, simultaneously, or have youtube up top and Signal open on the bottom. I can name a few more things but those are just a couple of considerations, there's so much more. I own an iPhone for convenience, strongly considering going back to the next Galaxy Note Ultra when I need a new phone.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 05:31 PM   #107
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I won’t be upgrading my phone until the 5g networks in are in full operation in our area.
You do know that 5G causes coronavirus?

Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 03:23 AM   #108
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Aw shit iPhone 12 has magnets inside for wireless charging. Will it be safe to hold your iPhone that close to your Rolex on your wrist? :-D
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 05:42 AM   #109
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Oct 13 https://www.tomsguide.com/news/iphon...8C8dIFGcBvi7xk
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 04:42 AM   #110
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
How do you Android guys stand the green texts?

A bridge too far for me!

Huh? What are you referring too?
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 04:54 AM   #111
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
Every time there is any discussion of a phone it has to turn into a debate of Android vs Apple. It’s tiring.
I couldn’t care less what anyone uses. My phone does way more than I need it to. Hope your as happy with yours as I am with mine, regardless of brand.
same here
Old 26 September 2020, 05:04 AM   #112
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
My smart phone is WAY smarter than I am...
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 05:08 AM   #113
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
only had my 11 pro max for about 6 weeks now and really like it too. At first I was lost without the home button but that didn't take long to get use to..
Love mine, too. No complaints, whatsoever. As for Apple vs Android, I have used both. For me, the iPhone is much more intuitive. I think it may be a generational thing. My sons find Android more user friendly.
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 12:57 AM   #114
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

The definition of an android is a robot that looks like a human being.

I think I'll stick to iPhone which is a phone that looks like an iPhone and has since version 1.

That android thing is a shapeshifter.
Old 27 September 2020, 01:54 AM   #115
TheDude
"TRF" Member

This is an ENORMOUS problem...

https://threatpost.com/android-2fa-t...-gmail/159384/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27 September 2020, 03:12 AM   #116
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Don't care about the phone other than my $115 call options.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:31 AM   #117
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Thank you. I have re read my post, I am not very good at portraying my feelings very well, I type as I speak, which doesn't come out as well as real life. My post looks very harsh, I certainly did not mean it too. I am sorry and apologise for it coming across as rude. Thank you once again for your very dignified response.
Yes it is a little but i read the forum for years so i I know the great figures of the forum and your way of writing, absolutely no problem friend
WILLIWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:36 AM   #118
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

I want a front facing camera that is capable of taking a selfie without it making me look like a serial killer.
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:44 AM   #119
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
I want a front facing camera that is capable of taking a selfie without it making me look like a serial killer.
In camera settings on iOS 14 you can now mirror selfie’s, so they look much better.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:13 AM   #120
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
In camera settings on iOS 14 you can now mirror selfie’s, so they look much better.
OK! Just tried it.

One word; Bundy.
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote