The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 18 September 2019, 01:47 PM   #1
ToneLok
"TRF" Member

Panerai's tie to the Italian navy / Bronzo vs. Carbotech

So let's be honest here. The Italian navy - and its commando forces - are an interesting choice for a marketing identity. I'm sure they're tough now and have really great people and all, but seriously...

But damned if I don't love these watches. As a tweener until my Patek 5726 comes in - and as a further enticement to get my AD to push me up the Nautilus list - I'm kicking around the ideas of a Bronzo and/or a Carbotech. AD doesn't normally carry the Bronzo but the N.A. Panerai Pres is coming through town for a marketing event and may have a few up his sleeve. Love the look of the Bronzo and as an anomaly for Panerai it may actually hold its used price close to retail or even a little above (even with the discrepancy between the aftermarket ask and the aftermarket get). Carbotech is super cool, modern materials, crazy lightweight, but pre-owned price drops like an Italian frogman sub put in water the minute you walk out the door.

Do I buy the Bronzo because it's kinda rad even though it's kinda cartoonish and shitbrownyellow or grab the Carbo because it's unapologetically and completely cartoonish, cool, and blue and I don't really need the money on the back end?

What say ye?

-ToneLok

Last edited by ToneLok; 18 September 2019 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Typo and humor
ToneLok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 07:42 PM   #2
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLok View Post
So let's be honest here. The Italian navy - and its commando forces - are an interesting choice for a marketing identity. I'm sure they're tough now and have really great people and all, but seriously...

But damned if I don't love these watches. As a tweener until my Patek 5726 comes in - and as a further enticement to get my AD to push me up the Nautilus list - I'm kicking around the ideas of a Bronzo and/or a Carbotech. AD doesn't normally carry the Bronzo but the N.A. Panerai Pres is coming through town for a marketing event and may have a few up his sleeve. Love the look of the Bronzo and as an anomaly for Panerai it may actually hold its used price close to retail or even a little above (even with the discrepancy between the aftermarket ask and the aftermarket get). Carbotech is super cool, modern materials, crazy lightweight, but pre-owned price drops like an Italian frogman sub put in water the minute you walk out the door.

Do I buy the Bronzo because it's kinda rad even though it's kinda cartoonish and shitbrownyellow or grab the Carbo because it's unapologetically and completely cartoonish, cool, and blue and I don't really need the money on the back end?

What say ye?

-ToneLok
The new Bronzo doesn't do it for me, but the original 382 is a killer! Carbotech is awesome too. Two very different watches, but unique in their own way.
Old 18 September 2019, 08:35 PM   #3
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Both are very cool but I would go with the Bronzo if you can get it. There are a lot of options on the market for black ceramic but the Bronzo is a rare bird.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 08:45 PM   #4
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Both are very cool but I would go with the Bronzo if you can get it. There are a lot of options on the market for black ceramic but the Bronzo is a rare bird.
Carbotech isn't ceramic though. It's a completely different material based on carbon fiber:

https://www.panerai.com/it/en/know-h...materials.html
Old 19 September 2019, 12:32 AM   #5
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Cool materials. I see them as a novelty and not a staple in a collection. I despise Panerai's current marketing strategy.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 01:07 AM   #6
mach330
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,PAM 90
I really love the carbotech. So light and unique and can be worn with anything. I would only buy used tho for that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
mach330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 01:40 AM   #7
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Get the bronzo and trade it for a green (or blue) dial bronzo on the market.

The carbotech will get slaughtered on resale.

Those things being said, it doesn't sound like you want either very much, so I would get neither.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 02:18 AM   #8
ToneLok
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback. I have to say the idea that they're both maybe fun extra watches is pretty sound, though the new Carbotech seems to be moving at $12.5K used/gray here vs 17.5+ tax from the AD, so not a particularly sound investment. I wish they'd done a really cool, truly blue dial bronzo this time....
ToneLok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 03:49 AM   #9
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLok View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have to say the idea that they're both maybe fun extra watches is pretty sound, though the new Carbotech seems to be moving at $12.5K used/gray here vs 17.5+ tax from the AD, so not a particularly sound investment. I wish they'd done a really cool, truly blue dial bronzo this time....
Panerai is rarely a sound investment, so if you're bothered by value retention, I'd suggest you buy a used piece.
Old 19 September 2019, 12:53 PM   #10
erik asher
"TRF" Member

I like how you put down both watches and then ask for an opinion. Stick with your Nautilis. I love when I hear people talk about Panerai’s drop in value and bad investment potential in one sentence; but then in the next sentence they act like money doesn’t matter. If money doesn’t matter to you, who cares? If it does, then maybe you shouldn’t act like it doesn’t.
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 02:05 PM   #11
SeikoBake
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Both are solid pieces. My personal preference is the bronzo as each piece will develop its own unique patina over time
SeikoBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 09:27 PM   #12
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
My new Panerai 1616. A fun watch and getting a lot of wrist time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190921_112924 (002).jpg (198.9 KB, 254 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2019, 11:50 PM   #13
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Carbotech is a very cool watch. I tried on one of the originals when they were first released and was impressed with the material and light weight nature of the watch.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 01:00 AM   #14
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

No one has anything like a Carbotech. AP has their forged carbon but it isn’t nearly as refined as Carbotech. If your looking for the ultimate “big black watch” then the Carbotech is the rock star. The Bronzo is a completely different look and image with a more throwback look and feel.

To me you are asking to choose from total opposite ends of the spectrum like, do I get a Ferrari LaFerrari or a Roll Royce Phantom?
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 02:48 AM   #15
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
I like how you put down both watches and then ask for an opinion. Stick with your Nautilis. I love when I hear people talk about Panerai’s drop in value and bad investment potential in one sentence; but then in the next sentence they act like money doesn’t matter. If money doesn’t matter to you, who cares? If it does, then maybe you shouldn’t act like it doesn’t.

Amen. Strange thread indeed.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2019, 03:20 AM   #16
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Amen. Strange thread indeed.
Seriously why can people buy a watch because they love it not because of the value/resale. LOL
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 01:25 AM   #17
SeikoBake
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Great. I’m a fan of this one
SeikoBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 01:31 AM   #18
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
sure!

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 02:28 AM   #19
nick c
Banned

Love my 382. What a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 10:58 AM   #20
drgoro
"TRF" Member

I had the choice between the two. Went carbotech first, may still get the bronzo. But not importantly , I thought so highly of the carbotech it became my first panerai in years
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 10:59 AM   #21
drgoro
"TRF" Member

Where did you source a blue strap? Do you have a leather strap and where did you find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
sure!

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 11:51 AM   #22
matt009au
"TRF" Member

Carbotech for me, I love those solid lume indices.
matt009au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 04:14 PM   #23
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoro View Post
Where did you source a blue strap? Do you have a leather strap and where did you find it?
i bought it at a local boutique.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5726 nautilus , bronzo , pam1616 , pam968 , panerai