The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 September 2018, 04:29 AM   #1
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Cotton Bowl Rolexes & Tudors (1967-1976)

Instead of rings or other awards, players in the Cotton Bowl Classic received watches for many years. From 1967-1970 they were Rolexes, and from 1971-1976 they were Tudors. The 1971 has no company logo but you can tell it's a Tudor because it has the "Original Oyster Case by Rolex Geneva" text on the caseback that Tudors have.

I can't find any pics of the 1975 Cotton Bowl watch. Has anyone ever seen one? Anyway, here's all the other Rolex/Tudor years (click here for a higher res version):

powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 06:28 AM   #2
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

The Cotton Bowls are an interesting interlude in Rolex' history of co-branded watches. I started collecting them around 10 years ago and managed to round up five of the years offered plus one sad 1983 ladies watch which is actually a Christian Dior. That year the cheerleaders were given watches as well. The owner apparently fell on hard times and pawned it for twenty dollars. She never came back for it and the pawn shop owner gave it to me for the collection but I sent him the 20 bucks anyway. Future Hall of Famers Dan Marino and Eric Dickerson played in that game.

I'm pretty sure there are no 1975 CBs and 1976 was an odd year. When I bought my '76 it was on a Tudor 7020 Turn O Graph with a smooth bezel from a 7017. It was early in my collection and I had no idea what was right and what was wrong. I assumed the '76 had been a loose dial that some one had slapped on the TOG. As it turned out I've never seen a '76 that wasn't on a TOG. Remember all the early jumbos were made in 1969 so those TOGs had been in inventory for 7 years! Between coaches and players about 250 watches were needed per year. I've written quite a bit about the CBs over on the VRF if interested.

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 07:37 AM   #3
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
You learn something new everyday - never seen or heard about these before.
Old 30 September 2018, 12:21 AM   #4
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I had a 1974 one from HQ Milton for a while. It was nice, but a bit too geeky even for me...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 06:45 AM   #5
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I had two friends that got Cotten Bowl Rolexes.
One on the ‘69 team and the other ran the Alumni.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 06:51 AM   #6
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

Cool watches and interesting story. Did any other bowl games give out Rolexes or Tudors?My guess is only in Texas.
Razorsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 12:26 PM   #7
statsman
"TRF" Member

For 1975, I have seen (a couple of times) this Seth Thomas digital listed on eBay (concluded listing, only showing as a reference)-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Cotton...IAAOSwaTZbV0Wg

As far as I know, The Cotton Bowl was the only one giving Rolexes, but several bowls (Orange, Cotton and Bluebonnet ) had given Omegas. In the ‘40s and ‘50s, the standard was a good filled. Ulova or Hamilton, personally engraved with the player’s name.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 03:33 PM   #8
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
all the early jumbos were made in 1969 so those TOGs had been in inventory for 7 years! Between coaches and players about 250 watches were needed per year
I didn't know that about the Jumbos; thanks for chiming in! The Cotton Bowl Rolex man himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
For 1975, I have seen (a couple of times) this Seth Thomas digital listed on eBay:
Awesome, thanks for solving the mystery of the 1975 Cotton Bowl watch!
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 06:40 PM   #9
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
For 1975, I have seen (a couple of times) this Seth Thomas digital listed on eBay (concluded listing, only showing as a reference)-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Cotton...IAAOSwaTZbV0Wg

As far as I know, The Cotton Bowl was the only one giving Rolexes, but several bowls (Orange, Cotton and Bluebonnet ) had given Omegas. In the ‘40s and ‘50s, the standard was a good filled. Ulova or Hamilton, personally engraved with the player’s name.
lol, the horror, the horror! Actually a quartz was still a fairly big deal in 76. Thanks for that bit of lore! :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote