The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 May 2020, 07:18 AM   #1
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

1601 with a service dial?

Hello,

Does a service dial decrease the value of a 1601 Datejust? I see one for sale, and the tritium dial lume pots are white as are the hands. I inquired the seller, and sure enough the dial and hands were replaced by Rolex (and a polish).

Is this considered OK? Or should I pass and continue searching. I must admit, I like how aged lume warms up s a silver piepan dial. But if a fresh dial lume will age over time, it's OK too.

If the value is decreased due to this, what would a fair offer (% lower) be considered? Probably not an easy question to answer...

Is it OK to post seller's pictures here? Or provide a link for help with my decision?

I don't want to violate the rules if so.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 07:21 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Datejusts have the option of dozens of different dials, so no... a new/different dial in a Datejust will not impact it's market value.

If you want members to look at a potential purchase, that is why we have a "Watch Out" board.
Old 9 May 2020, 07:25 AM   #3
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Personally I would not care on a Datejust. But value is likely to be slightly lower if compared to a nice original example in top condition.

New luminova lume will not age similar to tritium. If it indeed is tritium it should age over time. If you want patina; buy one that has. If this is still pale you have no idea how it will age and over what time.
Old 9 May 2020, 07:59 AM   #4
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Personally I would not care on a Datejust. But value is likely to be slightly lower if compared to a nice original example in top condition.

New luminova lume will not age similar to tritium. If it indeed is tritium it should age over time. If you want patina; buy one that has. If this is still pale you have no idea how it will age and over what time.
The dial says tritium or t25... so I assume it's still tritium at least... I don't know, I might pass, unless I can get a very good bargain from it... the other positive, if the case looks pretty good from what I can tell, and it appears to have a newer jubilee with virtually no stretch (a plus).

I guess, I should hold out for an aged lumed dial, but from what I am seeing that's available currently, there isn't any I would bite on yet, due to overly polished or oxidized hands, or just too scratched up.... Patience is a virtue I guess.

Thanks for the replies.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 01:38 PM   #5
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Hello,

Does a service dial decrease the value of a 1601 Datejust? I see one for sale, and the tritium dial lume pots are white as are the hands. I inquired the seller, and sure enough the dial and hands were replaced by Rolex (and a polish).

Is this considered OK? Or should I pass and continue searching. I must admit, I like how aged lume warms up s a silver piepan dial. But if a fresh dial lume will age over time, it's OK too.

If the value is decreased due to this, what would a fair offer (% lower) be considered? Probably not an easy question to answer...

Is it OK to post seller's pictures here? Or provide a link for help with my decision?

I don't want to violate the rules if so.
I have one of these, a TT 1601 on a Jubilee bracelet. Previous owner had the dial and bracelet replaced around 2005. Rolex did the work, and it's all Rolex parts, but the bracelet was now 18k gold and the rest of the watch was 14k. I think for these reasons, I got a good deal on it, paying $3,300 when a nice original piece was pushing $4,000. I had Rolex Dallas service it a year later and they replaced the 14k crown with an 18k one to ensure it would pass a pressure test.

All original seems to be a big deal to collectors these days, but i just wanted a great Rolex I could wear and enjoy, and after being serviced it looks like a million bucks and keeps time like a chronometer should, despite being (mostly) 52 years old. Pie Pan dials are the bomb. I've received complements from many a Rolex AD salesperson, and more than one I've had to explain the pie pan dial to, as they just don't see them.

If you like it, and the price is right, and it's all Rolex parts, I say go for it.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 06:10 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

On a vintage sports model it’s a big deal. On a Datejust less so. If case and bracelet are good go for it. Finding a replacement dial is easy and relatively inexpensive to buy.
Old 9 May 2020, 10:05 PM   #7
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
It actually depends on who is buying it and at what price - like all vintage.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote