The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2012, 05:46 PM   #1
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
Tudor

Ok pardon my ignorance I have been meaning to ask this question for a long time. Is Tudor somehow affiliated with Rolex? They look practically the same. Is it sort of like saying an Ifiniti (Rolex) and Nissan (Tudor)?
Old 24 January 2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Hans Wilsdorf introduced the Tudor line of watches as a separate brand to complement the Rolex line, although there are examples of double signed Rolex - Tudor watches dating back to the 1930's with caliber 59 movements, same as Canadian Rolex (I believe our own Padi has an outstanding example of one).

Tudor are manufactured by the Rolex Watch Company, with a more moderate price point than Rolex. Up to the 1990's, Tudor watches were made with Rolex signed bracelets and crowns.

The biggest difference between Rolex and Tudor has been the movements. Tudor watches have been mostly made with highly modified ETA ebauches, although prior to the mid 1960's many used a modified Fleurier 350 caliber.

Here's a brief chronology of them that I posted a couple of days ago:

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...ght=chronology
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tudor certificate.jpg (245.4 KB, 287 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 12:40 AM   #3
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Great information, thanks for asking and thanks Alcan for a super answer
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 02:32 AM   #4
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Just to add a little bit of information. Tudor is sold everywhere in the world with the exception of the U.S. After Rolex realized that the Tudor brand was cannibalizing their brand in the U.S. they decided to pull it out and is no longer available here. But you can buy them in Mexico and Canada which would be the closest places to find a Tudor AD.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 02:47 AM   #5
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Tudors are great watches and thank you Al for your input!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 02:51 AM   #6
santiagoe
"TRF" Member

The one that's taking my sleep its the heritage
gmtzodiac
TagG carrera wv2211
santiagoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 02:53 AM   #7
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
Just to add a little bit of information. Tudor is sold everywhere in the world with the exception of the U.S. After Rolex realized that the Tudor brand was cannibalizing their brand in the U.S. they decided to pull it out and is no longer available here. But you can buy them in Mexico and Canada which would be the closest places to find a Tudor AD.
But my understanding is that Tudor is on the way back to the U.S. I believe this was announced possibly last year????

Anyway I wonder if they are doing this because they knew they would be reducing the number of Rolex watches being shipped to the States?

Hopefully Dan Pierce or Al will weigh in on this one.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 03:18 AM   #8
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
But my understanding is that Tudor is on the way back to the U.S. I believe this was announced possibly last year????

Anyway I wonder if they are doing this because they knew they would be reducing the number of Rolex watches being shipped to the States?

Hopefully Dan Pierce or Al will weigh in on this one.
Hi Dan! I have heard that intentions to reintroduce the Tudor line in the States has been scrapped, however, let's wait until March (Basel) to hear the truth! I hope Tudor becomes available here!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 03:40 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post
Hi Dan! I have heard that intentions to reintroduce the Tudor line in the States has been scrapped, however, let's wait until March (Basel) to hear the truth! I hope Tudor becomes available here!
Yes lets hope they haven't scratched this. Besides I think there would be a pretty good market here in the U.S. if they decided to pursue it.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 January 2012, 03:46 AM   #10
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Hans Wilsdorf introduced the Tudor line of watches as a separate brand to complement the Rolex line, although there are examples of double signed Rolex - Tudor watches dating back to the 1930's with caliber 59 movements, same as Canadian Rolex (I believe our own Padi has an outstanding example of one).

Tudor are manufactured by the Rolex Watch Company, with a more moderate price point than Rolex. Up to the 1990's, Tudor watches were made with Rolex signed bracelets and crowns.

The biggest difference between Rolex and Tudor has been the movements. Tudor watches have been mostly made with highly modified ETA ebauches, although prior to the mid 1960's many used a modified Fleurier 350 caliber.

Here's a brief chronology of them that I posted a couple of days ago:

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...ght=chronology
Great post I really learned something from that!!
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 03:48 AM   #11
bassplayrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV, 3570.50
I hope Tudor makes its way stateside again. Thanks to TRF, I've become a big fan of the Heritage Chrono.
Old 25 January 2012, 03:51 AM   #12
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagoe View Post
The one that's taking my sleep its the heritage
I like the Tudor Heritage Chrono as well...maybe we will get lucky here in the USA and they will start being sold here again!!!

Old 25 January 2012, 04:06 AM   #13
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Aren't Tudors using ETA movements now and are their cases still called or as least as good as the oyster cases? I wonder why Rolex doesn't develope a separate line of movements on their own just for Tudors. My thoughts are if they are using ETA movements what distinguishes them from an Omega or Longines or many other swiss brands. I remember seeing my uncle's Tudor dive watch (I don't remember the model) and it had the Rolex coronet on the crown and an oyster back; it was a dead ringer to a sub to my then untrained eyes. Wish I bought one back then.
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 04:10 AM   #14
santiagoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
I like the Tudor Heritage Chrono as well...maybe we will get lucky here in the USA and they will start being sold here again!!!
J'habite au Canada :) its my next watch
gmtzodiac
TagG carrera wv2211
santiagoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 04:16 AM   #15
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrolex View Post
Aren't Tudors using ETA movements now and are their cases still called or as least as good as the oyster cases? I wonder why Rolex doesn't develope a separate line of movements on their own just for Tudors. My thoughts are if they are using ETA movements what distinguishes them from an Omega or Longines or many other swiss brands. I remember seeing my uncle's Tudor dive watch (I don't remember the model) and it had the Rolex coronet on the crown and an oyster back; it was a dead ringer to a sub to my then untrained eyes. Wish I bought one back then.
It's not like they haven't used other movements in their Rolex watches before. They used to use a Zenith movement in the Daytona until 2000. Prior to this they used a Valjoux 72 or what they called a Rolex modified 722 in the Daytona. Valjoux was taken over by Swatch and they are now known as ETA.

Besides there are a number of very good and reliable ETA movements out there. There are a couple of classes of ETA movements and it's not like Rolex uses any of the lower level movements, they are using their better movements.

Rolex decided to use ETA movements in their Tudor line to lower their research and development cost.

Some of the Tudor vintage watches are actually worth a pretty penny. These watches still work just fine.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 January 2012, 04:28 AM   #16
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Quote:
Aren't Tudors using ETA movements now and are their cases still called or as least as good as the oyster cases? I wonder why Rolex doesn't develope a separate line of movements on their own just for Tudors.
Tudor always used ETA movements and until the 90s used all Rolex parts and cases. This is why you see Rolex branded oyster cases, bracelets, even crowns with the coronets on older Tudor models. It was essentially a way to get Rolex quality pieces into the hands of those that could not afford Rolex as they weren't technically branded 'Rolex' and did not carry in-house movements. The only thing different in the mechanics of most earlier Tudor watches was the movement so they were equally strong as rolex in regard to sheer build strength and quality, they were even built in the same factory.

It wasn't until that separation in the 90s that Tudor began to do more of it's own thing and wasn't viewed so much as Rolex's "design research sector" (as I like to call it). They are still part of Rolex and even take design queues from Rolex and Old Tudor, but they've slowly become their own entity.

I don't think Rolex would ever want Tudor to develop their own line of movements as it would defeat the original concept. Furthermore, a lot of WIS don't want them to as they will no longer be attainable bargain time pieces. But more and more ETA based companies have weaned themselves from ETA and introduced some fantastic in-house movements (like the Cal 01 Breitling) , so maybe they will be forced to take that route as well?
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 05:41 AM   #17
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Aren't Tudors using ETA movements now

Yep, that's why I posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Tudor watches have been mostly made with highly modified ETA ebauches, although prior to the mid 1960's many used a modified Fleurier 350 caliber.
And keep in mnd that ETA produces 4 grades of ebauche/movement:

Standard
- adjusted in 2 positions: CH and 6H
- average daily rate: +/- 12 seconds
- maximum positional variation: 30 seconds
- isochronism between 0 and 24 hours: +/- 20 seconds

Elaboré
- adjusted in 3 positions: CH, 6H, 9H
- average daily rate: +/- 7 seconds
- maximum positional variation: 20 seconds
- isochronism between 0 and 24 hours: +/- 15 seconds

- adjusted in 5 positions: CH, FH, 6H, 9H, 3H
- average daily rate: +/- 4 seconds
- maximum positional variation: 15 seconds
- isochronism between 0 and 24 hours: +/- 10 seconds

Chronometre
- adjusted and timed per COSC specification, which is not much different from Top Grade

The differences also include the finish (rhodium or nickel, rhodium is more expensive and more durable), the decoration (many different varieties), and the quality of the components. This chart shows some of the differences:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ETAchart 1.jpg (89.0 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg ETA chart2.jpg (75.6 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg ETA chart3-1.jpg (126.5 KB, 183 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 05:45 AM   #18
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Another very informative post from Mr. Alcan! I am garnering a greater appreciation for the Tudor brand everyday! Thanks again sir!

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

Old 25 January 2012, 06:49 AM   #19
herbie911
"TRF" Member

I am currently owner of a Tudor Hydronault. I must say they are quite pretty to look at and cost a lot less than Rolex when it come to service. I recently service the watch at Tudor Service centre which is located on the same floor with Rolex Service ctr at Jardine House. The Tudor cost me around HKD $1000 but the Rolex cost me near $3000 including a new crown. Both watch look spanking new as the price includes a polish! The turnover is pretty quick!
herbie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 07:43 AM   #20
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I kinda like 'em.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 08:47 AM   #21
Chappo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT II, Tudor
Yep, I like them too. I sense there's almost more anticipation at Basel each year for the Tudor rollout as opposed to the Rolex offering. And if a heritage sub doesn't make the grade this year I'll be dissappointed.
Cheers, Scott
Chappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 09:39 AM   #22
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappo View Post
... if a heritage sub doesn't make the grade this year I'll be dissappointed.
That would be cool and I think I'd travel to Canada to get one.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 10:41 AM   #23
FremStar
"TRF" Member

I believe you fans of the Heritage Chrono will enjoy this write up! (http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=213277). I am really appreciating the Tudor love around here!

Old 25 January 2012, 11:00 AM   #24
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I believe you fans of the Heritage Chrono will enjoy this write up! (http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=213277). I am really appreciating the Tudor love around here!
Stop teasing, Sam!!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 25 January 2012, 11:02 AM   #25
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
I kinda like 'em.
dP
No...really and here I thought you were pulling our collective legs!!!

Old 25 January 2012, 11:10 AM   #26
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
No...really and here I thought you were pulling our collective legs!!!
I hide it pretty well, don't I, Leo?
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 25 January 2012, 11:33 AM   #27
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stop teasing, Sam!!
dP
Dan in all fairness and honesty this is all your fault! Thank you for all your informative post throughout the years!

Old 25 January 2012, 11:36 AM   #28
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Dan in all fairness and honesty this is all your fault! Thank you for all your informative post throughout the years!
Sam,
The pleasure's all mine, my friend.
But that link is for the new EXP II42.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 25 January 2012, 11:40 AM   #29
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sam,
The pleasure's all mine, my friend.
But that link is for the new EXP II42.
dP
Yikes! My apologies all here is the link I meant to post! (http://100percent-rolex.blogspot.com...ge-review.html). This is what happens when one uses a mobile phone to surf! Thank Dan for informing me!

Old 25 January 2012, 11:47 AM   #30
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks, Sam!
Not that I needed a push but that review really scratched my itch.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club