The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Gallery

Old 6 October 2008, 02:50 AM   #1
RolexFan5
"TRF" Member

New guy here with a question

Hello everyone. I've been a Rolex owner for over 5 years but I only joined an hour ago. I don't have a big collection, in fact, all I have is a two tone submariner with a blue dial and a GMT. However, I will soon have an opportunity to purchase a daytona stainless steel with a white dial. The fact that this watch is rare is part of the attraction but it also conserns me a bit. I am probably paranoid but if the watch is so tare, does that create a temptation for people who sell it to me or service the watch 5 years from now to replace the movement or the whole thing with a replica and sell the real thing on the black market. I know its crazy to think that someone working for an AD would attempt something like that, but that thought did cross my mind. Thanks
RolexFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2008, 03:01 AM   #2
mretzloff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
I highly doubt RSC would do that. What would they gain out it? They have countless parts, so if a technician wanted to steal some, they'd have them readily available.

There are so many other situations that are more dangerous. Look at these: if you pay bills online a keylogger may be recording your credit card number, the teller at the bank may be writing down your account number, the admissions officer at your graduate school or your child's school may be writing down your SSN.

I wouldn't worry about this. ADs make a living on the fact that they are allowed to sell Rolexes. If an AD screwed you over and Rolex found out, the AD will loose his rights to sell Rolexes and most likely then have to leave the jewelry business. It's not in their interest to do this.

"M" 16610 Submariner
"M" 16570w Explorer II
mretzloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2008, 10:28 AM   #3
eric23
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF!
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 05:04 PM   #4
wostep

Hi RolexFan5. Welcome to the board, as I am also a new member.

If you were to purchase the watch through a gray market or second hand, such as over the internet, you would then have a tremendous risk to buying a frankenstein watch or even a complete fake. However, if the watch was purchased through an AD or Official Rolex Jeweler (ORJ) you should purchase with confidence because the ORJ should have tremendous honor in having the opportunity to be an AD. They certainly would not jeopardize their account status because any wrong acts would result in immediate termination of their account status. It took me over twenty years to have the privilege of becoming an AD. I certainly would never take such a risk. All Rolexes sold from AD's have serial numbers that allows Rolex to track what model the watch is, which dealer the watch was shipped to, when, etc. You would get caught.
wostep is offline   Reply With Quote