The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which manual wind chrono?
Patek 5172G 127 43.79%
Lange 1815 Chrono WG Boutique Edition 76 26.21%
Lange 1815 Chrono WG Black Dial 87 30.00%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 September 2020, 05:02 PM   #91
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
Can you show us the draft... very curious. I picked up the of 403 Pt Dato about a month ago and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure I can send it as they have not blessed it yet. Basically it is a drawing of the balance cock with whatever you choose that will fit on there.
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 11:15 PM   #92
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselm View Post
I am glad you like the white dial. I had the same view as you, the black dial looks so good in pictures but in real life the boutique edition seems better so I went with that one as well. I just got my draft of the balance cock customization back. Hopefully can finalize this week then wait for 3 months to get the watch built! Until then I can look at pictures.
Whats going on here, You can design your own BC?
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2020, 11:33 PM   #93
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Great choice. You wear it well.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 12:22 AM   #94
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Whats going on here, You can design your own BC?
Not sure if it is offered at dealers but the boutique offers some engraving options like initials.
Old 17 September 2020, 12:23 AM   #95
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselm View Post
Not sure if it is offered at dealers but the boutique offers some engraving options like initials.

Better really be a keeper then lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2020, 12:26 AM   #96
anselm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Better really be a keeper then lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Keeper for me but assume it shouldn't be too hard to replace the bc with a new one if needed.
Old 28 June 2021, 11:55 AM   #97
Sumitagg
"TRF" Member

I was choosing between the 2 and eventually settled on the 5172g after seeing it in person. It doesn’t wear as large due to the shorter lugs. To my eyes, the 5172g was just perfect. It’s the right size and thickness. I plan to buy a brown and blue alligator strap to dress it up. It’s the strap that makes it look more casual. Just look at the 5320 which looks formal with an alligator strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0B4684E4-8E27-43EE-A830-AE586443B46A.jpeg (38.6 KB, 354 views)
Sumitagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 10:06 PM   #98
amgdriver63
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex WG 42mm YM
Both amazing watches. Tough choice but the PP wins by a nose in my view. Being super critical the Lange could be just a hair larger
amgdriver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 09:38 AM   #99
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumitagg View Post
I was choosing between the 2 and eventually settled on the 5172g after seeing it in person. It doesn’t wear as large due to the shorter lugs. To my eyes, the 5172g was just perfect. It’s the right size and thickness. I plan to buy a brown and blue alligator strap to dress it up. It’s the strap that makes it look more casual. Just look at the 5320 which looks formal with an alligator strap.

How does the 5172 wear compare to 5320?

I love my 5320 and would like to get the matching 5172 as a chronograph.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 09:58 AM   #100
bob101
"TRF" Member

I would go for the 5172g but would be close as a nice used black dial 1815 would be very attractive at market price.

I always recommend people to try on Lange watches as find they don’t always wear so nicely on the wrist as Patek (wear a bit flat similar to Breguet for me) and friends have also sold theirs for that reason.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 10:46 AM   #101
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun, moon, heehaw
Personally i love the looks of Lange the most .... but, i have had a few Langes, despite loving each lost the price of a top line handmade saddle on each when traded.
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 12:12 PM   #102
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve owned both and prefer this one. Of course, I’m a Patek partisan but it’s truly a great watch. It wears more casual than the Lange and the stepped lugs and lumed syringe hands really differentiate it.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 07:02 PM   #103
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I would have said 5172 a few weeks ago but I managed to try the 1815 black dial at the Lange boutique recently and was quite impressed! Gives off a 5370P vibe with the black dial and the pushers were crisp. The only thing I dislike about the Lange is that the two sub dials are on the lower half of the dial. Would prefer it to be similar to the 5172G in terms of its arrangement. The boutique edition sounds good but doesn’t look that great in person.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 07:26 PM   #104
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Patek 5172G vs. Lange 1815 Chronograph

Aesthetics aside, isn't there also a $15-20k delta in price between these two models? At least pre owned / grey market pricing
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 07:32 PM   #105
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Aesthetics aside, isn't there also a 15-20k delta in price between these two models? At least pre owned / grey market pricing
Even brand new the difference is £10k. The Patek certainly maintains its value better but if one buys the 1815 chronograph it’s pretty much guarantees getting the Lange Odysseus which retails at 2x MSRP currently.
Old 8 July 2021, 07:45 PM   #106
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Even brand new the difference is £10k. The Patek certainly maintains its value better but if one buys the 1815 chronograph it’s pretty much guarantees getting the Lange Odysseus which retails at 2x MSRP currently.

Assuming that's a piece the OP actually wants though
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 08:37 PM   #107
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Assuming that's a piece the OP actually wants though
Of course! Would never encourage someone to spend 50-60k on a watch they don’t want.
Old 8 July 2021, 09:39 PM   #108
Tinka2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5172, 116655, 1165
My first Patek and I went with the 5172, once I tried it on I had to have it. A few different straps on order like others to dress it up but I really do like it on the calfskin anyway.

Tinka2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 10:02 PM   #109
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Very True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob101 View Post
I would go for the 5172g but would be close as a nice used black dial 1815 would be very attractive at market price.

I always recommend people to try on Lange watches as find they don’t always wear so nicely on the wrist as Patek (wear a bit flat similar to Breguet for me) and friends have also sold theirs for that reason.
I echo this, as one must really try a Lange on before purchase. Generally speaking they wear high and large. I have lusted after a Richard Lange until I tried one on. For such an elegant watch it wore like a pie plate on my wrist. Same with my Lange 1, which is not as bad due to it's 38mm size. The case shapes are just not a Patek.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 12:23 AM   #110
bob101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post
I echo this, as one must really try a Lange on before purchase. Generally speaking they wear high and large. I have lusted after a Richard Lange until I tried one on. For such an elegant watch it wore like a pie plate on my wrist. Same with my Lange 1, which is not as bad due to it's 38mm size. The case shapes are just not a Patek.
Genau! As the Germans say. Please don’t pay top dollar then it’s buyers remorse time. Always try on first. I have a 5320G which has similar stepped lugs as the 5172G of course and it wears amazingly well. Sometimes forget it’s on the wrist.
Number one rule, buy what you love and what feels great on the wrist..
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 12:39 AM   #111
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
How does the 5172 wear compare to 5320?

I love my 5320 and would like to get the matching 5172 as a chronograph.

I fell for the 5320 and then paired it off with the 5172. I did take a good look at the Lange offerings but was not sold on them. Beautifully engineered but lacking in charm.

I have yet to find another watch that tempts me. I find a lot of PPs too flashy but the two I have are discrete enough to avoid attention which is exactly what I am looking for in a watch. I used to have a Daytona eyeball and theft magnet - no thanks!

I have to admit confirmation bias and ignorance, I have never considered them in relation to a horse saddle so I may be missing a trick or two.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 01:09 AM   #112
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Is the 5172 case the same as 5320 (with pushers of course) ?
Old 9 July 2021, 01:15 AM   #113
WatchtraderNY
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
5172 for the win!

WatchtraderNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 01:52 AM   #114
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Is the 5172 case the same as 5320 (with pushers of course) ?
Yes but marginally larger - not so one would notice.

40/11.13 - 41/11.45.

It’s the lugs which appealed to me - and the syringe hands - and the lume - and the dials - the 5320 has more 3D numerals than the 5172 and dots at the 5 minute markers so the 5320 face is more 3D.

The. 5172 is almost black not blue as it sometimes appears to be. It is classic PP in design heritage. It keeps amazingly good time and can be set to the second unlike the 5320. It has a depth to the mechanism which is great to admire. It is a watch one can wear with jeans or a suit. I wouldn’t describe it as a dress watch but one can tart it up with a croc strap. I tried that and it looked a bit too flash. The strap it comes with is understated smart casual. It talks the watch down.

The 5320 Perp Cal is so discrete it could be a Timex and unless one is aware of its antecedents it looks like an old watch which makes it a very private joy to wear. I like the brown croc strap which is a bit military and looks all the world as if it was bought from an antique shop so does not attract attention.

I wear them turn and turn around and don’t find they get any eye ball attention. Perfection.

ALS - sadly not in the running IMO.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 09:37 AM   #115
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
I fell for the 5320 and then paired it off with the 5172. I did take a good look at the Lange offerings but was not sold on them. Beautifully engineered but lacking in charm.

I have yet to find another watch that tempts me. I find a lot of PPs too flashy but the two I have are discrete enough to avoid attention which is exactly what I am looking for in a watch. I used to have a Daytona eyeball and theft magnet - no thanks!

I have to admit confirmation bias and ignorance, I have never considered them in relation to a horse saddle so I may be missing a trick or two.

The Lange I want is actually a Datograph. But I figure that the Datograph will always be there. But this blue dial 5172G which matches the 5320’s syringe hands and stepped lugs may not be there in a couple of years. So I will likely pull the trigger on this and worry about the Datograph later.

Also, do you notice that the grey price on the 5172 seems to have firmed up quite a bit. The C24 price is close to SRP now instead of 25% off from a couple of months back. Wonder why…
Old 9 July 2021, 06:26 PM   #116
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Congrats. Great choice, enjoy it.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 05:27 AM   #117
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Yes but marginally larger - not so one would notice.

40/11.13 - 41/11.45.

It’s the lugs which appealed to me - and the syringe hands - and the lume - and the dials - the 5320 has more 3D numerals than the 5172 and dots at the 5 minute markers so the 5320 face is more 3D.

The. 5172 is almost black not blue as it sometimes appears to be. It is classic PP in design heritage. It keeps amazingly good time and can be set to the second unlike the 5320. It has a depth to the mechanism which is great to admire. It is a watch one can wear with jeans or a suit. I wouldn’t describe it as a dress watch but one can tart it up with a croc strap. I tried that and it looked a bit too flash. The strap it comes with is understated smart casual. It talks the watch down.

The 5320 Perp Cal is so discrete it could be a Timex and unless one is aware of its antecedents it looks like an old watch which makes it a very private joy to wear. I like the brown croc strap which is a bit military and looks all the world as if it was bought from an antique shop so does not attract attention.

I wear them turn and turn around and don’t find they get any eye ball attention. Perfection.

ALS - sadly not in the running IMO.

You are becoming my enabler