The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 February 2017, 01:23 AM   #1
superdog
2017 Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: watch what?
Posts: 10,755
Value Questions of Papers vs. Service

OK, I know there are always a lot of questions about value in regards to box and papers.

And I read one thread recently where a lot of people commented that simply getting it serviced would keep the value the same as it if it came with original papers.

I would argue that it should actually add value. After all, papers for an older watch, out of warranty are basically worthless except to the collector or to guarantee authenticity.

I started thinking about this because a few weeks ago I sent out my 16170 (3186) coke to get serviced by Rolex. It has the original box, but no papers.

As I have greatly slown down with my watch flipping and recently increased my car flipping (way more damaging), saving and collecting funds for my next car move is my priority.

So I have thought about simply selling off some of the watches with value in my collection. Not getting a heck of a lot for my Bremont or Breitling.
And even though I am not going to sell off any of my Omegas, their resale is weak as well. That said, its not really worth it to move any of these.

This leaves me with a few Rolex watches that I simply don't wear to often. I will keep at least one, maybe two, but I prefer the funds.

But I digress......

I would have to imagine that my 16170 fully authenticated, water tested and now with a brandy new warranty, would actually be of more value than the same watch with original papers, but without warranty.

I do realize that ultimately, the market will decide what I can sell it for. But I am curious as to what the consensus here is.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
__________________
IG: SUPERDOG0013
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:50 AM   #2
Rolex addict
2017 Pledge Member
 
Rolex addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Real Name: Chad
Location: Spartanburg
Watch: me crash my bike
Posts: 3,317
Dang!!!! You just bought that watch!!! Personally, if it was a watch I wanted to put up as a "collector's item," I would want the original paperwork, tags, etc. If it was something that I was going to wear on a regular basis, what you have would be perfectly acceptable. Having it serviced and authenticated by an RSC does take any concerns away. As for market value, I really don't know. I thought you're Kermit would be sold by now and I still say you're crazy if you sell it.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:57 AM   #3
superdog
2017 Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: watch what?
Posts: 10,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Dang!!!! You just bought that watch!!! Personally, if it was a watch I wanted to put up as a "collector's item," I would want the original paperwork, tags, etc. If it was something that I was going to wear on a regular basis, what you have would be perfectly acceptable. Having it serviced and authenticated by an RSC does take any concerns away. As for market value, I really don't know. I thought you're Kermit would be sold by now and I still say you're crazy if you sell it.
Lmao. Don't judge me man...

I was actually one of those that argued buying a watch to hold can be fun and profitable. And I still agree with that. But it just doesn't suit me for now.

So if I'm not wearing, it goes. Not sure I'll get rid of the 16710 just yet. I was using it more as an example. Still feeling out my next few moves. But it's certainly an option.

If it's worth a lot in the future, that's ok.

And the LV was shipped just this morning.
__________________
IG: SUPERDOG0013
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:06 AM   #4
yannis7777
2017 Pledge Member
 
yannis7777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Real Name: Yannis
Location: Europe
Watch: maniac
Posts: 5,162
Hi Seth,
I know there will be views to the contrary but especially in regards to discontinued models, a simple comparison of prices from trusted sellers or dealers online shall reveal that watches with original papers and boxes (based on my research on 1680, 1675, 1665 even 16710) will command a significantly higher premium. And that is not just a few hundreds but on instances 1-2 k upwards. The older the watch the higher the premium when comparing a watch with box and papers vs a watch with none or just a box. It has nothing to do with authentication imho nor with guarantee as -as many have pointed before - warranties have lapsed on these timepieces. It has to do with collect-ability and it seems the market has decided so. The more complete a watch the higher the premiums. That gap is exacerbated on older watches when making a comparison between incomplete vs complete sets. At least this has been my understanding in the market of second hand Rolex
__________________
1680, 116610 LV, 116710 BLNR
yannis7777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:17 AM   #5
superdog
2017 Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: watch what?
Posts: 10,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis7777 View Post
Hi Seth,
I know there will be views to the contrary but especially in regards to discontinued models, a simple comparison of prices from trusted sellers or dealers online shall reveal that watches with original papers and boxes (based on my research on 1680, 1675, 1665 even 16710) will command a significantly higher premium. And that is not just a few hundreds but on instances 1-2 k upwards. The older the watch the higher the premium when comparing a watch with box and papers vs a watch with none or just a box. It has nothing to do with authentication imho nor with guarantee as -as many have pointed before - warranties have lapsed on these timepieces. It has to do with collect-ability and it seems the market has decided so. The more complete a watch the higher the premiums. That gap is exacerbated on older watches when making a comparison between incomplete vs complete sets. At least this has been my understanding in the market of second hand Rolex

Great answer. Can't say I disagree either, when you put it that way.
__________________
IG: SUPERDOG0013
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:18 AM   #6
Boaters
2017 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Real Name: Mike
Location: Pacific Northwest
Watch: 116610 BLNR 16710
Posts: 3,060
It is always nice to get the full meal deal but if you really like the watch go for it.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:35 AM   #7
NKflyer
2017 Pledge Member
 
NKflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,024
Recent RSC paperwork is a strong selling point but the original warranty paper/card would still be worth more in my opinion.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:45 AM   #8
natosub
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Watch: the tide roll in..
Posts: 1,136
Fo a collectible piece, a complete set is king. The buyer could send it off to RSC as easily, but once the original paperwork is gone, it's gone for good.
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 03:04 AM   #9
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member
 
kaiserphoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
Watch: ALS 1815 Chronog
Posts: 629
A rolex service definately adds value, but the value of "original" papers are far more. Also depending on what was done at service, that could also potentially affect the value of the watch negatively.

Ofcourse at the end of the day condition is everything.
__________________
(WG) A. Lange & Söhne 414.026 1815 Chronograph Boutique - Calibre L951.5, (SS) Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver 15710ST.OO.A002CA.01 - Calibre 3120, (SS) Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116520 (B) - Calibre 4130, (SS) Rolex Explorer 114270 - Calibre 3130

IG - @tempusoperandi
kaiserphoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 04:21 AM   #10
t60
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: California
Posts: 80
Original papers are worth more because simply, they are original. You can never get a copy of them and you can never ask Rolex to re-issue them at presumably any cost.

Servicing on the other hand, is an easy problem to solve with money.
t60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 04:32 AM   #11
ratty
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Real Name: Graham
Location: Herts. UK
Watch: Daytona
Posts: 1,076
Anyone can send a watch with no paperwork to Rolex and get a new warranty card, it just takes money. You can't just buy a new history and provenance for a watch which doesn't have it, no matter how much money you spend!
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 04:33 AM   #12
ratty
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Real Name: Graham
Location: Herts. UK
Watch: Daytona
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by t60 View Post
Original papers are worth more because simply, they are original. You can never get a copy of them and you can never ask Rolex to re-issue them at presumably any cost.

Servicing on the other hand, is an easy problem to solve with money.
You beat me to it!
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 04:46 AM   #13
Rolex addict
2017 Pledge Member
 
Rolex addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Real Name: Chad
Location: Spartanburg
Watch: me crash my bike
Posts: 3,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Lmao. Don't judge me man...

I was actually one of those that argued buying a watch to hold can be fun and profitable. And I still agree with that. But it just doesn't suit me for now.

So if I'm not wearing, it goes. Not sure I'll get rid of the 16710 just yet. I was using it more as an example. Still feeling out my next few moves. But it's certainly an option.

If it's worth a lot in the future, that's ok.

And the LV was shipped just this morning.
I can't believe you sold it and don't want to know what you let it go for because I know it's going to hurt my feelings. I expect pics of a new car very, very soon!!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided free of charge to outstanding horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2017, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.