The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 14 March 2011, 11:44 AM   #1
crhfish

3135 Movement

Well, I decided to take a look at my newly acquired Sub to see if it needed cleaning. I had tested the time and it ran 30 seconds slow in 48 hours and the reserve was at least 10 hours short. Opened it up and immediately new something was wrong. Long story short one of the two screws that holds the auto winding assembly had come loose and had lodged in the rotor. Before it came out all the way it had worn against the rotor for a while causing some "rub dust". Took it apart, cleaned it, oiled it with some new mobius syth that I bought just for this watch. I found a screw that actually fit very well to replace the mangled one. The rotor is worn on the underside a bit, but the movement looks like new.

This was my first time to clean one of the newer Rolex movements. I was very impressed.

I've got it back together now and I'm retesting it. So far so good.
crhfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2011, 04:35 PM   #2
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhfish View Post
Well, I decided to take a look at my newly acquired Sub to see if it needed cleaning. I had tested the time and it ran 30 seconds slow in 48 hours and the reserve was at least 10 hours short. Opened it up and immediately new something was wrong. Long story short one of the two screws that holds the auto winding assembly had come loose and had lodged in the rotor. Before it came out all the way it had worn against the rotor for a while causing some "rub dust". Took it apart, cleaned it, oiled it with some new mobius syth that I bought just for this watch. I found a screw that actually fit very well to replace the mangled one. The rotor is worn on the underside a bit, but the movement looks like new.

This was my first time to clean one of the newer Rolex movements. I was very impressed.

So you took the whole watch apart and put it back together with using only one type of oil?
Aren't there like 6 or 7 different oils needed to service a watch movement?

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
abigsecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I'm impressed that you took the watch apart and put it all back together again but used a 'screw that actually fit well' and only mobius synth to lube it?
Did you mean you removed the rotor assembly?

Do you have some pix?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigsecret View Post
So you took the whole watch apart and put it back together with using only one type of oil?
Aren't there like 6 or 7 different oils needed to service a watch movement?
Hmmm. 6 or 7? 6 or 7.

Trick question?

I choose 7.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2011, 09:00 AM   #5
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigsecret View Post
I'm not sure the OP took the entire watch apart. His post sounds like he took apart the just the rotor assembly, but I could be wrong.
Old 16 March 2011, 09:21 AM   #6
crhfish

Mobius makes several types of oils guys. I have three of them along with several other types of oils. You are correct that there may be 6 or 7 types of oils that Rolex recommends, I usually use three or four different types of lube/grease when I work. I did not take the whole watch apart, just enough to hand clean it and relube the wheels and train. I don't do this for anyone, just for myself and you may think I'm crazy, but I've been doing it for 25 years now. I was going to take pics, but I'm not sure its correct to post things like that on this site. Before I did the work, the watch was 30 seconds slow a day and short on power reserve by 10 hours or so. Now its 5 seconds slow a day and the reserve looks like it going to be close to 48 hours, its still running. I did not just do this watch, I did my 3075 from my GMT and my 1570 from an old thunderbird. The 3075 came out the best, it dead on over 24 hours, but I do not like the little retaining clip for the rotor. Its weak IMO, but I can get replacements in three different thickness's, so thats on the list to do. The 1570 runs a bit fast, but its older and I don't wear it much.

If it makes you feel better I also worked on a 550 Omega. I lost the cap jewel, slipped out of my tweezers, and on the floor somewhere to never be found. I had to get a whole new bridge of off ebay to get a replacement.

Its just like working on old cars to me, this is the fun part. But I have torn up a few watches over the years. I'm just trying to contribute a bit here.
Old 16 March 2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Use a clean swiffer mop to find the jewel it covers a lot of area in a short time and everything sticks to it Rik
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2011, 10:54 AM   #8
crhfish

I will try that next time Rikki. The bridge, actually the balance cock, on this watch was in bad shape anyway, rusted a bit. I really needed a new one anyway.
Old 16 March 2011, 01:35 PM   #9
Trailblazer
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhfish View Post

May I know which series is your 3135?
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2011, 11:34 PM   #10
crhfish

Its a 16610 K serial number sub.