The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 May 2019, 03:38 PM   #1
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the time go by
Help me read my serial number on my 5512

I have owned this watch for around eight years now and think I have worked out the serial number through all the corrosion (the guy I brought it from was a serious diver) but I have still not got a positive id on model number. As can be seen on the photo's this is almost beyond recognition and I am wondering in this day if one could use something, a kind of special Xray for metal ? I have seen these used in documentaries on guns that have had their serial numbers removed, is there not something similar to this available generally or do I have to chat nicely to the local forensics department to see if they can help.

The first shot is the serial number starting with the eight and the other two are of the model number side, nothing much to pick up there just the start of RE registered design I assume

The back cover has the date code 111/62 and model #5512 etc stamped on the inside.
Anyone have any experience deciphering numbers on badly corroded watch cases

Thanks
Phil

Last edited by T5AUS; 2 May 2019 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: photo's
T5AUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 05:30 PM   #2
waspy1
Banned

Not sure what it’ll benefit you. It’ll say 5512 surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 05:42 PM   #3
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

That’s right, it should say 5512 but if I decide to sell it further down the track how do I prove it’s not a 5513 with a changed back cover to a 5512, unscrupulous types are apt to do this since a 5512 is worth almost twice as much as a 5513. I know this is not the case since I purchased it from the old boy who had owned it from new, unfortunately he never kept his original paper work
Old 2 May 2019, 07:18 PM   #4
Lgear080
Banned

This is a good opportunity for RSC to issue you a new mid-case. No buyer in their right mind would want a case so thoroughly pitted. It’ll be costly, but ultimately it’ll create a better watch. Those lugs aren’t doing the watch any favors either.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 08:45 PM   #5
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
#8!
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 09:51 PM   #6
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5AUS View Post
That’s right, it should say 5512 but if I decide to sell it further down the track how do I prove it’s not a 5513 with a changed back cover to a 5512, unscrupulous types are apt to do this since a 5512 is worth almost twice as much as a 5513. I know this is not the case since I purchased it from the old boy who had owned it from new, unfortunately he never kept his original paper work
Value is always linked with condition. A trashed 5512 is unlikely to fetch double an average 5513. Not saying yours is trashed, just simplifying.

The suggestion made about perhaps having it recased is a good one. You would have a great, fully functional watch.

To answer your question, Rolex are able to see what model reference the movement number was originally sold as.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 11:34 PM   #7
circles
"TRF" Member

You can count me in on the re-case suggestion. There is no way I'd buy that in the current condition unless the future cost of a new case was reflected in the discounted selling price.
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2019, 11:41 PM   #8
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgear080 View Post
This is a good opportunity for RSC to issue you a new mid-case. No buyer in their right mind would want a case so thoroughly pitted. It’ll be costly, but ultimately it’ll create a better watch. Those lugs aren’t doing the watch any favors either.
No offense, but this is a totally wrong take.

A thick, pitted, ridden hard Pointed Crown Guard will always be worth more than a RSC service case - if you can even get one. 364 out of 365 days a year.
Old 2 May 2019, 11:56 PM   #9
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Keep the original case and get Superman to read the numbers
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 12:43 AM   #10
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
If you know the old guy who put this tool through its paces can’t you check with him who might have serviced it in the past? It must have had a service at some point and they would have his name on file. Bring it to your local RSC. They may have it in their database.

Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 01:19 AM   #11
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Huh?

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 02:49 AM   #12
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
No offense, but this is a totally wrong take.

A thick, pitted, ridden hard Pointed Crown Guard will always be worth more than a RSC service case - if you can even get one. 364 out of 365 days a year.
And neither will ever be worth as much as a case in reasonable (never mind good) condition.

It was a fair suggestion since the current case is not in ‘collection grade’ condition.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 03:18 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There are some contrast dyes that may make the serial more legible.

If you can get Rolex paperwork that verifies the serial/model, this can go a long way towards value stability.

Once it is re-cased, it's just another Sub.
Old 3 May 2019, 04:20 AM   #14
Lgear080
Banned

I think a case w a totally blown serial is pointless. Just an opinion... not sure why you guys would think otherwise on a piece in this segment. It’s hard to get RSC to issue one of these in the first place so this is a candidate.
Old 3 May 2019, 04:47 AM   #15
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If the dial, movement, and case-back are all correct for a 5512, most buyers will believe it's a 5512. As mentioned above, the condition of the case will keep this particular one from being worth 2x a 5513.
Old 3 May 2019, 04:51 AM   #16
circles
"TRF" Member

So, just curious...… If this watch was for sale how many of you would be willing to buy it, and pay the current selling price of a 5512, in the condition the case is in?
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 05:16 AM   #17
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

To clarify

Thanks for the replies, (including the private message) First thing is, I do not wish to sell this nor do I want to re case it, it is a fabulous totally original pcg5512 keeping excellent time and is on my wrist 24/7, the pitting between the back cover and case looks a lot worse in the photo than it actually is and is easily restored these days with laser welding. If anyone is interested in the story of this watch and how I acquired it please scan back about eight years into my previous posts, it’s somewhere in there.
My question was simply how do I read the original model and serial numbers, I am just wandering if there is a new electronic tool out there now like X-ray that could solve this problem, nothing I can find on google but perhaps some of the more experienced service engineers/collectors/dealers in these situations have found something, perhaps a dentist or veterinarians smaller X-ray might do it or would they just see into bone not metal, now there’s an idea, will get phoning around later today to see what they say, thanks guys.

The original story on this watch from ten years ago
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=69651

Last edited by T5AUS; 3 May 2019 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: More info
T5AUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 05:34 AM   #18
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There are some contrast dyes that may make the serial more legible.

If you can get Rolex paperwork that verifies the serial/model, this can go a long way towards value stability.

Once it is re-cased, it's just another Sub.
Thanks Larry, do you mean liquid dyes. The original owner is long gone and I know he just used a small local service shop for the occasional clean, I don’t think it ever saw the inside of Rolex service shop from the day he purchased it and he never told me where it was, in fact I never even knew where he lived, the whole deal took place in a city bank.
I am pretty sure I have the serial number worked out now, would Rolex be happy to tell me the model number from that?
Cheers
Phil
Old 3 May 2019, 06:52 AM   #19
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by circles View Post
So, just curious...… If this watch was for sale how many of you would be willing to buy it, and pay the current selling price of a 5512, in the condition the case is in?

The case has pitting, this isn’t such a big deal. The dial and hands are stunning. Put this to RSC and you can kiss goodbye to:

Dial
Hands
Pcg case
Date stamped caseback
Original crown and tube
Original dome crystal

And about 40k usd in value.

I could live with the lack of 5512 marking, the serial is still there.

OP don’t sweat it, no one in their right mind would think this is anything other than a 5512.

waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 07:02 AM   #20
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .
I am pretty sure I have the serial number worked out now, would Rolex be happy to tell me the model number from that?
Cheers
Phil
Rolex is not always forthcoming without actually having hands-on with a watch.

If you were to attempt it, I would correspond with them in writing, with high quality images of the areas in question, along with imaging of the movement serial number.

(yes, metal contrast dyes are liquid. There is also acid etching and Magnaflux, but you should know what you are doing for this)
Old 3 May 2019, 07:40 AM   #21
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Would proudly wear and enjoy that watch.
Looks like it was worn as intended actually! PCG case (so it has pitting) over a "recase" RSC "service" case any day of the week.

Lets see the dial and more pictures now !!
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 08:11 AM   #22
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Thanks again Larry

and to "theflywrist" and others, here are a few more shots.. (and of course my avatar )

Old 3 May 2019, 08:28 AM   #23
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Rolex is not always forthcoming without actually having hands-on with a watch.

If you were to attempt it, I would correspond with them in writing, with high quality images of the areas in question, along with imaging of the movement serial number.

(yes, metal contrast dyes are liquid. There is also acid etching and Magnaflux, but you should know what you are doing for this)

As someone who has spent a significant portion of my life in Switzerland, I can confirm that posted letters get results in said country.

Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2019, 09:32 PM   #24
Lgear080
Banned

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Vintag...p2047675.l2557

Just gonna leave this here. Problem solved... keep your original case, get a new one - and everyone lives happily ever after.
Old 3 May 2019, 10:03 PM   #25
T5AUS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Vintag...p2047675.l2557

Just gonna leave this here. Problem solved... keep your original case, get a new one - and everyone lives happily ever after.
I am not so sure, could you realy be happy with that standard of engraving, I think a 6 year old could do a better job
Old 4 May 2019, 02:18 AM   #26
Lgear080
Banned

If you want a perfect pcg case than up the price. Point is that they’re out there...