The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 February 2013, 07:15 AM   #1
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Rolex MilSub Project. Some will Love it, Some will Hate it.

So always wanting a milsub but not wanting to spend the 100k price tag for one, I decided to do this project.

Please note, this project is not to try and pass this off as the real deal, it is for personal enjoyment only. Besides, the serial number on this watch dates it to 86, so it would be a dead tell that this is not a real milsub.

So about 3 years ago i was on the hunt for a 5513 that was the right price, no bracelet, strong lugs, 1520 mov etc. things went south when I seller left me waiting in a parking lot with money in hand and he decided to sell it to someone else for more money... So after that, I let the 5513/1517 project go for a long time. Finally I thought it was time to pick it up again. Found a great looking 5513 no bracelet, head only for a good price. So I pulled the trigger.

In the mean time, I knew this case was going to get the lugs drilled out. This takes Balls of steel. Also several test runs and alot of research. I feel pretty confiedent with my knowledge in watches that I could complete this task better than most watch makers I know. I wanted fixed lug bars pressure fit into the case just like the original. I did not want them laser welded in place. that was a last case measure.

So Ti drill bits to the same 1.78MM dim as the bars I ordered which are 316L stainless steel. Good stuff. When drilling you need to be dead on straight or the bars will not line up from side to side and it will look bad as well as not fit.

So to do this, everything on the watch had to come off. drilled and set. hand filed and sanded. Then re shaped and polished the case and lugs to give it more of a shine like some of the Mill subs I have seen with shiny lugs, I like that look.

Once the Bars were installed and everything was flush, I bent the bars just a hair to really keep them in place. Mind you the pressure fit is so tight when i hammered the bars in, there is no way these are coming out unless I hammer them back out.. The slight bend was just for good measure.
This is the finished product for the fixed bars.

the 1520 power house looks great. this is a before shot, when I first opened the watch.. all dirt and grit around the caseback has been cleaned.

The watch didn't come with a bracelet and to be honest, I'm pretty sick of changing out the spring bars on my other sub, taking on and off the bracelet and switching it to nato.. Now I have a watch that is only for nato.

I do not care about value or resale as that is not why I purchased this 5513.

Next step are the sword hands i have on order, along with a Milsub T dial I am having printed up for me special to exact Mod specs.

I will keep you all posted when the finished product is complete. should be about 2 weeks till I get the dial back.
let me know what you all think so far?
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 07:22 AM   #2
SubKing
"TRF" Member

also oiled the bezel, gaskets, ultra sonic cleaned the case, buffed the crystal.. timing was perfect, no need for adjustment.
Old 26 February 2013, 07:27 AM   #3
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Well I am guessing you can figure out what camp I am in.....Sorry my friend.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 07:28 AM   #4
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
The only think I wouldn't of done was the fixed lugbars but the watch is sure to be awesome looking when done, and who dosn't want a milsub with working tritum xD or are you using luminova?
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 07:33 AM   #5
lebowski321

Watch: Rolex
I like it... Very cool!
lebowski321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 07:46 AM   #6
JPersat
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing everybody
Love it. Can't wait for the finished pics.
JPersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 08:01 AM   #7
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
I think it's a cool idea...kinda like the Seamaster 300 projects floating around (which I'm totally going to do once I source a movement cheap enough.)...thanks Marc and Jocke!!
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 08:29 AM   #8
tedscott3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I like it, takes guts to do that.
tedscott3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 08:37 AM   #9
SubKing
"TRF" Member

thanks all for the kind words. I have seen many LookALike milsubs around the net made by other companys but in the end, I wanted it to be a rolex. If I wanted I'm sure I could track down the right milsub and pay $$$ for it, but then it would be a safe queen.. I want something I can wear everyday and not worry about the value going down if I hit it against something.

What I'm doing is the same thing ProHunter did with their milsub. Only I'm using a correct 5513.

i know right now it doesn't look like much, but the hardest part are the fixed lug bars and getting those to look and function right. Now that's out of the way, the easy part is left.. fitting the dial and hands..

When it's finished it will look excellent,.

here is the dial that will be going in the watch.

**** FAKE DIAL PIC REMOVED *********

also I will be installing a tropic superdome crystal as well.

Last edited by Welshwatchman; 26 February 2013 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Fake dial pic.
Old 26 February 2013, 08:56 AM   #10
ReOng

Watch: Rolexes
wow...One word...."amazing", truly an amazing art work right there
ReOng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 09:01 AM   #11
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReOng View Post
wow...One word...."amazing", truly an amazing art work right there
Old 26 February 2013, 09:19 AM   #12
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to tell
I think this idea is "ish" as my kids would say. What a step by step "let's make a replica Milsub" manual for dummies. This will be put to bad use by someone, we like it or not, to the detriment of the hobby.

I don't even want to comment on the dial. You say it's been printed to your specification. May I ask where and by whom?

That's a personal project, keep it personal. Don't help others kill the hobby.
drainaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 09:34 AM   #13
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

I think its awesome and see nothing wrong with what you are doing!!

Please keep us posted on the final outcome!!
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 09:41 AM   #14
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to tell
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCASANOVA View Post

For one the dial pic that was posted by the OP showed an unmistakably fake dial and has luckily been removed by the moderators. Starting w a fake dial, things can only go downhill on anything to do with this post. I hope this is the wrong forum for this kind of maneuvers.
drainaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 09:53 AM   #15
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCASANOVA View Post

+ 1. Do whatever makes you happy. And if you do this with your own knowledge and skills, it counts double score !

Now, if some "bad" boys copy the tecnique and produce similar watches for sale, let the purchasers be more careful to protect their interests.

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 10:07 AM   #16
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainaps View Post
For one the dial pic that was posted by the OP showed an unmistakably fake dial and has luckily been removed by the moderators. Starting w a fake dial, things can only go downhill on anything to do with this post. I hope this is the wrong forum for this kind of maneuvers.
I don't really think much of your posts.. this project isn't doing anything to the hobby.. The dial was a picture of a refinished matte dial. I know some are not fans of refinished or anything that is not original here, but their not going to buy my watch..

as of right now, the only thing this thread speaks about are the fixed lug bars I have posted.. sure doesn't look like a fake 5513 to me.. so whats your problem?

Funny, do you post the same thing on prohunters website for making red submariners or milsubs with T dials? Do you write to Bill Clinton and tell him not to wear his prohunter anymore because its not all original?

This is not the first project I have done and won't be the last. I have been around TRF for awhile so please don't tell me what this forum is about..

I am not killing anything.

this is not a replica watch. I am modding a real rolex for fun. So next you will tell me no one is allowed to have fixed lug bars on their watch or know how to do it?

I have no problem with the dial picture being removed. Some things are sensative and what ever gets removed, i will not repost. infact, I won't be posting finished product since refinished dials are not welcome here.
Old 26 February 2013, 10:11 AM   #17
SubKing
"TRF" Member

thanks everyone else for the kind words. If anyone wants more info on how to install fixed lug bars, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Old 26 February 2013, 10:32 AM   #18
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
infact, I won't be posting finished product since refinished dials are not welcome here.
I don't think there's a problem with a refinished dial...as long as its not being advertised as original.

I'm really excited to see the "final" version. I think the current dial would be fine...the sword hands will really make it pop!

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 10:35 AM   #19
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
I personally love the project, and I applaud you for having the guts to go through with it. Rolex has lost their way because of money and power. I long for the company of yesteryear that made these watches for a purpose.......a tool for diving, not a piece of jewelry to be worn with the plastic still in place or to be coated with that ZAG protective plastic made for smartphones.

I have often wanted fixed bars and I just might need to install them on one of my Rolex divers. Thanks for showing me how good they look when installed correctly

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 10:52 AM   #20
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
if anyone has anything negative to say... i would speculatethey are jealous that they dont have the skills you have to do this.

looks like a lot of fun.

nowthat i have kissed up to you a bit, got an extra crystal retainer ring for a 5513? i hear this part can be used on the carcass 7928 that i just bought.

help me Mr. Subking. Help me!
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 10:53 AM   #21
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
... typo. i speculate that they are jealous as they dont have the skills you have to do this.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 11:07 AM   #22
JPersat
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing everybody
If someone doesn't like the idea, they don't have to open the thread. Keep doing what you are doing. And again, I'd love to see the end result.
JPersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 11:09 AM   #23
salem65
"TRF" Member

Watch: JS Watch co. 101
What a cool project. Please keep it updated with progress pics.
Old 26 February 2013, 11:13 AM   #24
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPersat View Post
If someone doesn't like the idea, they don't have to open the thread. Keep doing what you are doing. And again, I'd love to see the end result.
Actually everyone is entitled to an opinion and open up whatever thread they want. His title clearly states people will either love it or hate it and I for one am in the other camp and don't like the idea--and for Harry it has nothing to do with jealousy trust me on that! When one does something controversial it will bring about radically different feelings. Purists like me will feel one way and others another. So everyone is entitled to post an opinion as that is what this forum is all about--so long as it is done with respect.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 26 February 2013, 11:19 AM   #25
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Actually everyone is entitled to an opinion and open up whatever thread they want. His title clearly states people will either love it or hate it and I for one am in the other camp and don't like the idea--and for Harry it has nothing to do with jealousy trust me on that! When one does something controversial it will bring about radically different feelings. Purists like me will feel one way and others another. So everyone is entitled to post an opinion as that is what this forum is all about--so long as it is done with respect.
Ken, a very respectable reply

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 11:23 AM   #26
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Ken, a very respectable reply
Thanks Jason!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 26 February 2013, 11:47 AM   #27
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
Nice project and nice workmanship. I always appreciate someone trying to get his hands a bit dirty on a project.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 12:21 PM   #28
SubKing
"TRF" Member

I think it's a bit much to say I'm killing the hobby. But I did expect people not to like this along with some likes.
Hey Ken, would I be allowed to post finished product? The dial pic was taken down.
So I don't want to push it at this point but I know many want to see the finished product. Please let me know?

Also, thanks for all the nice comments everyone. also welcome critical posts, just know I'm not trying to ruin anything for anyone in this hobby and I have nothing to hide. If I did I would have never posted this thread.
Not trying to pass it off as a real Milsub, just making a fun conversion.
Old 26 February 2013, 12:35 PM   #29
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
From a newbie's point of view, I'd like to weigh in on the side of doing whatever you want with your own stuff so long as you aren't trying to sell it as original. There are so few people anymore who actually do the work on watches, that I'm fascinated by anyone who actually gets in there and works with the internals. I'm thinking of trying a project of my own, but it will be a non Rolex and will be just for me.
mikkibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 01:35 PM   #30
Wacker23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex sub
Hey if you can please post a pic of your final project. Would love to see it.
Wacker23 is offline   Reply With Quote