The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2018, 09:59 PM   #91
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Absolutely frightening stuff. I think I’ll watch the Big Short again next week.
Like I've said before......it's as if, EVERY time a hot market comes....people lose all their common sense, ignore blatant facts.......and completely forget history of markets.......'it's different this time, I'm telling you man!'. Sure it is....and I'm sure that the luxury watch market is completely resistant to any economic crash and will stand above the rubble, right?

I kind of feel these are the same people who will sell their portfolio in the downturn, claim the market is a dangerous gimmick, buy back in at a loss once the market recovers, and then are incredibly confused as to why over a 20 year time frame their money hasn't really grown.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:02 AM   #92
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
This annoys me to no end, but I mean, different strokes for different folks. I think it's a joke acting like going to school for 4 years makes one in any way deserving of a $10k Rolex, and sets up that individual's expectations in life to be quite disappointing. and I say that as a college graduate. Perhaps I just like to actually earn my belongings and not have them handed on a silver platter. Not to mention, I would NEVER take $10k of my parent's money for some tangible good, especially after they had to pay for my entire being for essentially 18 years. I would have told them to take that and go on a nice vacation.....I guess some people always are willing to take money from their parents?

Some figures:

-The average student loan debt after graduation is approx. $40,000/student.

-Total bubble is around 1.5 trillion at this point. 1.5 trillion....and this is encompassed not only of engineers, doctors, dentists, blah blah blah who have 100% ensured income post graduation. This figure is also composed of people who went for a Bachelor of Arts and didn't even graduate, and have absolutely NO way to pay back student debt making $12/hour.

-Well under 10% of the debt is in any way 'security backed', so defaulting to a lot of these people is a viable option.

-Something like 44million Americans have some type of student loan debt. More than 10% of the ENTIRE country, not just individuals in 20s and 30s, have student loan debt over their head.

And the above figures, grow exponentially each year, by as much as 10%. Absolutely no signs of slowing down.

Oh, and let's not even bring into consideration, that this is also paired with the fact of how Americans utilize credit moreso than practically every other country, and this year finally broke the 1trillion dollar threshold in total credit card debt.

I'm sure the future looks very bright though, and the millions and millions of 20-30 year olds carrying this kind of financial pressure will in no way affect the overall health of the economy

Why do you think it is there is such a bias against high-tech vocational education right now? That's something that has puzzled me to no end in the disconnect in skill sets and education choices going on. I'm not sure if it's the perceived stigma of votech or the desire to party on parents dimes that keep pushing the university education on each and every young adult.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:29 AM   #93
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Why do you think it is there is such a bias against high-tech vocational education right now? That's something that has puzzled me to no end in the disconnect in skill sets and education choices going on. I'm not sure if it's the perceived stigma of votech or the desire to party on parents dimes that keep pushing the university education on each and every young adult.
It's so silly. Everybody and their brother can't just go to university and fulfill the availability in the workforce. You need people across an entire specturm....and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. You are definitely right, in that there is some type of 'stigma' if you don't have a proper university education nowadays...and it's absurd. That's part of the issue, it's almost presented like 'you're not as good as this person' if you don't go to university. Like, if you introduce yourself and you have no proper degree, somebody might grimace. It's a joke.

White collar, blue collar, purple collar, I don't care.....it creates a strong foundation for a country when EVERY area of the workforce has strong, suitable candidates.

It's kind of a much deeper thing in America though, especially with how a lot of American people i knew growing up were so superficial and judgmental. As if you walk into a clothing store and the guy working there is 'below' you in some way. It's pompous and ridiculous, we're all human. I don't see near as an extreme representation of this in Europe and other countries.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:54 AM   #94
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
what i don't understand is a university education isnt a vocational school yet there is an expectation that it is. My kids are getting a 4 year degree. I don't care if they are plumbers or mechanics. They will be university educated plumbers and mechanics. Its in our will and they get no inheritance if they don't. Education for the sake of education is important IMO and its not "job training" at all.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 03:06 AM   #95
jonski
"TRF" Member

Watch: Urwerk103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik8yu View Post
Which is why it’s important to buy a watch that you like, at a price you deem fit and forget about the latter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
very incredibly true my friend
jonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 03:30 AM   #96
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
That is why I never buy above retail. Never have, never will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 03:35 AM   #97
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
I agree. Every restaurant is full. Flights and vacation hotels seem booked. U2 concert tix are face value like $330 per. People are spending spending spending. Can't pay over msrp for a watch, and cannot buy unless one has a lot of disposable income. Live a real life, not a fake one to impress.
marc2828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 03:49 AM   #98
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
PSA: The Daytona costs about $12,000

Quote:
This annoys me to no end, but I mean, different strokes for different folks. I think it's a joke acting like going to school for 4 years makes one in any way deserving of a $10k Rolex, and sets up that individual's expectations in life to be quite disappointing. and I say that as a college graduate. Perhaps I just like to actually earn my belongings and not have them handed on a silver platter. Not to mention, I would NEVER take $10k of my parent's money for some tangible good, especially after they had to pay for my entire being for essentially 18 years. I would have told them to take that and go on a nice vacation.....I guess some people always are willing to take money from their parents?

Some figures:

-The average student loan debt after graduation is approx. $40,000/student.

-Total bubble is around 1.5 trillion at this point. 1.5 trillion....and this is encompassed not only of engineers, doctors, dentists, blah blah blah who have 100% ensured income post graduation. This figure is also composed of people who went for a Bachelor of Arts and didn't even graduate, and have absolutely NO way to pay back student debt making $12/hour.

-Well under 10% of the debt is in any way 'security backed', so defaulting to a lot of these people is a viable option.

-Something like 44million Americans have some type of student loan debt. More than 10% of the ENTIRE country, not just individuals in 20s and 30s, have student loan debt over their head.

And the above figures, grow exponentially each year, by as much as 10%. Absolutely no signs of slowing down.

Oh, and let's not even bring into consideration, that this is also paired with the fact of how Americans utilize credit moreso than practically every other country, and this year finally broke the 1trillion dollar threshold in total credit card debt.

I'm sure the future looks very bright though, and the millions and millions of 20-30 year olds carrying this kind of financial pressure will in no way affect the overall health of the economy

Which institutions are the top holders of this trillion dollar debt? In the housing crisis the loans were sold off to investment banks. Is it the same with student loans, or is the debt actually held by the issuing bank?

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 11:20 AM   #99
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
what i don't understand is a university education isnt a vocational school yet there is an expectation that it is. My kids are getting a 4 year degree. I don't care if they are plumbers or mechanics. They will be university educated plumbers and mechanics. Its in our will and they get no inheritance if they don't. Education for the sake of education is important IMO and its not "job training" at all.

I can’t believe I didn’t think of this! Time to contact my attorney and update the will... brilliant idea for those of us who value education for education’s sake. Thanks Tyler!

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:15 PM   #100
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely important to have education and I think university education can be very useful experience for many. The problem students (especially in the US) look at a university education as a key to making a career, while not thoughtfully choosing a major or concentration with real world application. So many nowadays can tell you and criticize you how to build automobile for example, but few can actually build one. I can't tell you how many art and political science majors I've met with $80k in student loans and $15 an hour wage jobs unrelated. The arts are interesting, but really have no use to an engineering student or career imo. It's a money making system of university credits and government funded lending unfortunately.
Old 22 June 2018, 12:19 PM   #101
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's so silly. Everybody and their brother can't just go to university and fulfill the availability in the workforce. You need people across an entire specturm....and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. You are definitely right, in that there is some type of 'stigma' if you don't have a proper university education nowadays...and it's absurd. That's part of the issue, it's almost presented like 'you're not as good as this person' if you don't go to university. Like, if you introduce yourself and you have no proper degree, somebody might grimace. It's a joke.

White collar, blue collar, purple collar, I don't care.....it creates a strong foundation for a country when EVERY area of the workforce has strong, suitable candidates.

It's kind of a much deeper thing in America though, especially with how a lot of American people i knew growing up were so superficial and judgmental. As if you walk into a clothing store and the guy working there is 'below' you in some way. It's pompous and ridiculous, we're all human. I don't see near as an extreme representation of this in Europe and other countries.
I agree, I judge no one by their career choice or perceived degree value. I think it's a shame that it has gone so far. Everyone is needed and if you're good at what you do, no matter what it is, you will become very successful. There is no need to look down upon skill sets that may be considered non-academic. In the US especially, it seems people enjoy telling you about their degrees more than actually the learning itself that's involved with it. Can certainly be superficial and it starts in secondary school nowadays. I'd like to see every skill set, whatever collar own a Rolex if they want and stopping of the pushing towards career and study paths that may not be best fit for each individual
Old 22 June 2018, 06:17 PM   #102
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I can’t believe I didn’t think of this! Time to contact my attorney and update the will... brilliant idea for those of us who value education for education’s sake. Thanks Tyler!

you might have to set up a Trust (thats what we did), but its not hard and any attorney dealing with estate planning can do it. Its easier that way to have "rules" or benchmarks or whatever over a long period of time to distribute assets. In a traditional will, once you die checks get written.

Your will gives all your assets to the Trust and the trust documents outlines how they will be distributed.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 June 2018, 09:10 PM   #103
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
you might have to set up a Trust (thats what we did), but its not hard and any attorney dealing with estate planning can do it. Its easier that way to have "rules" or benchmarks or whatever over a long period of time to distribute assets. In a traditional will, once you die checks get written.

Your will gives all your assets to the Trust and the trust documents outlines how they will be distributed.

thanks ! We do have “rules” set up about distribution (staged at different ages) and think it does involve a trust , but love the idea of adding completion of higher education as a requirement.

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 11:29 PM   #104
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
thanks ! We do have “rules” set up about distribution (staged at different ages) and think it does involve a trust , but love the idea of adding completion of higher education as a requirement.

Just keep in mind estate planning in the US compared to UK is based on dramatically different rules. Get everything done by an attorney familiar with your specific state to be safe.
Old 23 June 2018, 12:45 AM   #105
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Only Daytona for 10k there will ever be will be older 2 tone with no papers
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 12:52 AM   #106
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Daytona Mania ??
Old 23 June 2018, 01:01 AM   #107
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just keep in mind estate planning in the US compared to UK is based on dramatically different rules. Get everything done by an attorney familiar with your specific state to be safe.
mine is in the US FWIW. Texas specifically.
Old 23 June 2018, 01:06 AM   #108
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
In the US we have a lot of people that are part of 3 groups:

1. People who have an exorbitant amount of student loan debt
2. People who have an exorbitant amount of automobile loans (often 2 high car loans per household)
3. People who have BOTH high student loan debt and a high car payment.
Exactly the same as the UK.
Everyone driving round in shiny new German metal.

85% of new car sales now on PCP.......where the majority have no equity and just hand it back and start a new contract.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 10:41 AM   #109
Mik8yu
"TRF" Member

At the rate market is going. If this trade war goes on any longer any px is possible. Whoop

Mik8yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 10:49 AM   #110
MinMay
Banned

People who loses money....there are people on the other side that makes money :).
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 10:54 AM   #111
Mik8yu
"TRF" Member

People who are making money right now can smell blood in the water. When they do, they move quick and slice like a hammer!

Mik8yu is offline   Reply With Quote