The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2018, 04:14 PM   #1
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Future outlook for the SD43?

I’ve been wondering what the long term outlook or thought surrounding the SD43 would be, meaning down the road will the SD43 be viewed as something special. With it being the 50th anniversary, single red line, larger size is this a piece that is poised to be in high demand and highly regarded years from now? I personally think it’s an incredibly special watch and I really enjoy wearing mine. Do folks think that 10-20 years from now that the reference number will still have the same sort of excitement around it that it does now. Not because I care about it from the investment perspective, I truthfully don’t think I’ll ever sell it but more so just curious. Anyways, welcome any comments TRF may have and...well, this thread is nothing without pictures.

watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 04:38 PM   #2
genkifd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
to me its going to be a future classic. like you i think there is something special about the SD43.

Only time will tell
SKX007 Japanese version
genkifd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:53 PM   #3
anastasevp
"TRF" Member

Definitely a classic!!!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
anastasevp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:06 AM   #4
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I think it will be seen as a classic, but sort of in a niche market sort of way similar to the DSSD. It's not a watch for everyone so I don't think it will ever have the wide spread appeal of a Sub. But in that sense it may be more sought after down the road.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:16 AM   #5
doctorstrange
Banned

i've already owned one, so hopefully it will be discontinued next year. may be replaced by a 40mm and with the red line removed. ha ha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sea 4.jpg (269.4 KB, 236 views)
doctorstrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:30 AM   #6
Uncle00Jesse
"TRF" Member

I think it all hinges on what they do with the submariner in the future. If they move to a 41mm with a wider bracelet, I think the SD43 may end up being boxed out. As it stands, the SD43 is in a league of its own, pure perfection for bigger wrists where wearing a sub is just too small and the bracelet being as skinny as it is. No offense to DSSD but no matter how big your wrist is it’s still a giant slab of steel and is extremely niche. Also if Rolex drops the red and or loses the cyclops on future sea dwellers, the anniversary edition will be a goldmine
Uncle00Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:37 AM   #7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorstrange View Post
i've already owned one, so hopefully it will be discontinued next year. may be replaced by a 40mm and with the red line removed. ha ha.
That would be awesome!

Although, I wouldn't mind a double red 40mm to replace it just to make everyone mad.

Joking aside, I'm sure the 43mm will be here to stay. It fills a gap between the Sub and DSSD. If Rolex doesn't bump the Sub size at some point then I don't see the SD43 going away anytime soon.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:48 AM   #8
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Its a future classic!

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:56 AM   #9
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
There's no telling which pieces people will be crazy about in 20-30 years
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 01:16 AM   #10
zjd168
"TRF" Member

As the only 43mm in Rolex lineup, plus as the 1st SD with the cyclops and a 50th anniversary edition, it will definitely have a place in Rolex collection history. For these reasons plus the fact that it is still an allocation model it is in my shopping list. However it is low in my list. To me and a lot of people, it is big , thick and heavy comparing to the Sub, Gmt and Daytona, while the dial is nothing very special. Price wise it is in the high end of the Rolex SS sport watch spectrum. These concerns will definitely negatively affect its popularity to the non-wis consumers.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 01:35 AM   #11
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
That would be awesome!

Although, I wouldn't mind a double red 40mm to replace it just to make everyone mad.

Joking aside, I'm sure the 43mm will be here to stay. It fills a gap between the Sub and DSSD. If Rolex doesn't bump the Sub size at some point then I don't see the SD43 going away anytime soon.
Dropping the red line and/or discontinue are just wishful thinking of the current owners. Highly unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote