The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2018, 10:48 PM   #1
AdaWit711
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
SoCal AD Relationship

All -

Looking for some guidance from the SoCal members on this forum. I’ve read all the posts about establishing a relationship with an AD as the only way to move forward with this hobby. (Without paying above MSRP) I am committed to taking that advice. I will never be a several watches a year guy, but my wife and I are both into celebrating major events with purchases. I am currently shopping for hard to find models (like everyone else) to celebrate a major life event. I have been making my AD tour trying to start up a conversation and allow me to get on a list for either of the models (LVc or Daytona). At this point I’m getting laughed at for even asking.

If someone knows an AD locally that would at least give someone without purchase history a spot on a list so I can start building that purchase history, I’d appreciate a PM.

Any other thoughts are more than welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AdaWit711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:56 PM   #2
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Adam, if you don’t get any luck going the AD route you can always hit up Tony from sdwatches, he’s one of the trusted sellers on TRF.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:56 PM   #3
Nandor
"TRF" Member

+1 to this.

I am in the same boat in San Diego - though I am looking for a less rare model probably. I will be buying at least 2 if not 3 watches in the next few years (I have twin boys so I have /explained/ to my wife that I need two to pass down and one to keep ), and I would like to do it with at least a semi-local AD that I can have a relationship with.

San Diego only seems to have Ben Bridge and Royal Maui as options.

I am thinking about heading to LA to see what I find there.

My other thought is to buy my wife a few k worth of jewelry from the AD at UTC to get the wheels moving.
Nandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:02 PM   #4
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
The UK has been like this for a while now, seems like you guys are getting it too.

The huge grey premiums exist because there isn’t really a short cut to getting these pieces at RRP.

I’d maybe suggest not aiming for an LVc or Daytona (for now) and maybe start by looking at a Datejust/Oyster Perpetual or an Explorer 2/Yacht Master then after a few purchases you’ll start to create a relationship.

Or do as above and go straight for grey market and pay the premium.

IMO (fair) lists don’t really exist and just because an AD smiles and takes your name doesn’t mean you’ll ever get a call (especially LVc and Daytona)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:12 PM   #5
T01
"TRF" Member

It's truly difficult to give advice these days on developing relationships. I started developing mine about 6 years ago when the market was completely different. Now, its harder than ever to do so, even with spending high dollar amounts. It's just a different game out there.

Best advice, find an AD that treats you the best and go from there. Maybe a smaller one might be the better choice? If you can, a different market place might be better as I'm sure the demand in SoCal is even greater than most.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:15 PM   #6
Speed
"TRF" Member

Buy preowned.

Save $$$ and only buy what you want - not what you have to in order to get what you want.

If you are only interested in modern Rolex...there are plenty of folks flipping or who change their minds / have buyers remorse and sell to resellers - like Tony in SD.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:31 PM   #7
Nandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Buy preowned.

Save $$$ and only buy what you want - not what you have to in order to get what you want.

If you are only interested in modern Rolex...there are plenty of folks flipping or who change their minds / have buyers remorse and sell to resellers - like Tony in SD.
I've been thinking about this option for a while now. I am terrified of fakes and/or replaced parts (like that kermit thread currently going on).

I've had both local ADs offer to sell what I want at MSRP and one offered to do it without tax if I pay in full. (Though only one of them has what I want in stock).

I have looked at the grey market but anything that is NIB seems to want basically MSRP/above.
Old 22 June 2018, 12:31 AM   #8
remrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
It’s going to be hard getting in demand pieces without purchase history. You might have a better chance of being put on an actual list for the LVc. The Daytona will definitely be a lot tougher. When I first asked my AD about it they told me 5 years. A couple purchases later, by the end of the year, to finally the next one we get. It’s partially luck and which AD treats you best. I had asked an AD back in December for a BLNR and they told me Feb/Mar. I have yet to receive their call. Meanwhile, the AD I work with now delivered, got all my business and I ended up with a Daytona.
remrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:40 AM   #9
watchaser
2024 Pledge Member

I live in So Cal. Now living Orange County, building a relationship with the surprisingly very few AD is tough. Guys like you started years ago and the local bench with these ADs for the latest and greatest pieces is deep.

I would still encourage building your relationship but save time and sometime time = money and go get the piece you like from Oscar, Patrick, Thanh and Tony etc..

Good luck.
watchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 01:31 AM   #10
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandor View Post
I've been thinking about this option for a while now. I am terrified of fakes and/or replaced parts (like that kermit thread currently going on).

I've had both local ADs offer to sell what I want at MSRP and one offered to do it without tax if I pay in full. (Though only one of them has what I want in stock).

I have looked at the grey market but anything that is NIB seems to want basically MSRP/above.
if you buy the seller you won't have to worry about fakes
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 01:51 AM   #11
AdaWit711
"TRF" Member

SoCal AD Relationship

Thanks all for the feedback.

Last edited by AdaWit711; 22 June 2018 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 22 June 2018, 01:53 AM   #12
Nandor
"TRF" Member

Maybe a few of us SoCal guys get together and do a group buy I am sure they would soften up if they were selling 2-4 watches in a single sitting. Maybe I am wrong though. :)
Old 22 June 2018, 02:24 AM   #13
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe a few of us SoCal guys get together and do a group buy I am sure they would soften up if they were selling 2-4 watches in a single sitting. Maybe I am wrong though. :)
Ha ha, wouldn't that be interesting!
mrs_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:34 AM   #14
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I asked the same thing about a Patek AD a couple months ago because I have my eyes on a few models.. it seems starting over was the only way to go, especially if you want the harder to attain models... While I think I have a pretty decent relationship with my Rolex AD, they unfortunately do not sell Patek, so I am in a similar boat trying to pick an AD to start with.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:42 AM   #15
AdaWit711
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Count me in!

Old 22 June 2018, 02:44 AM   #16
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaWit711 View Post
All -

Looking for some guidance from the SoCal members on this forum. I’ve read all the posts about establishing a relationship with an AD as the only way to move forward with this hobby. (Without paying above MSRP) I am committed to taking that advice. I will never be a several watches a year guy, but my wife and I are both into celebrating major events with purchases. I am currently shopping for hard to find models (like everyone else) to celebrate a major life event. I have been making my AD tour trying to start up a conversation and allow me to get on a list for either of the models (LVc or Daytona). At this point I’m getting laughed at for even asking.

If someone knows an AD locally that would at least give someone without purchase history a spot on a list so I can start building that purchase history, I’d appreciate a PM.

A lot of people on the same boat (like me). Some suggestions about going with a trusted seller but you don´t want to pay above MSRP which is understandable. Sadly the method right now either be a great customer or going with a trusted seller means it is designed to work with people with cash to spare.

May I suggest you google some dealers in other nearby states you need to move out of the SOCAL area in your search. Who knows you might end up saving on sales tax too.

ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:50 AM   #17
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
If you're all going in looking for Hulks, Pepsis, Daytonas, etc. then IMO, you'll hold no power over the AD and they won't really care. If you get a group together that has an interest in a mix of Datejusts, PM models, and also the hot watches, you could have something cooking.

Good luck
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:51 AM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
If you're all going in looking for Hulks, Pepsis, Daytonas, etc. then IMO, you'll hold no power over the AD and they won't really care. If you get a group together that has an interest in a mix of Datejusts, PM models, and also the hot watches, you could have something cooking.

Good luck
Spot on!
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 04:35 AM   #19
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Geary's is one of the biggest in LA (locations in Bev Hills, Century City, and Santa Monica). It's going to be next to impossible to get an LVc or Daytona from them without prior purchase history. I've never been to Bhindi, but know they are another high volume AD in the LA area and have heard similar things about difficult to get pieces. Other ADs I'm familiar with (Morgans and Ben Bridge in Torrance) are smaller -- so there you're facing effectively the same challenge because they likely get less hot pieces but still have loyal customer waiting lists.

I've heard great things about Polachek's in Calabasas if you're willing to make the drive. Friend of mine was able to pick up a LVc there as a first time customer. Andrew is the guy you want to contact there -- I've spoken to him a few times regarding some Pateks and he is awesome. My guess is that AD is large enough to get a good flow of high-demand inventory but just far away from LA enough to weed out a lot of the ordinary foot traffic asking for hard to get watches.

We seriously need to do an LA meet up soon! I am totally down!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 04:38 AM   #20
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I have heard nothing but positive things about Bhindi Jewellers in Artesia. Plus, they have a large jewelry selection. This is the best place to establish a relationship because they have a higher profit on jewelry than watches. A lot of the guys here who get the hard to find pieces buy a lot of jewelry for their wives.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 04:40 AM   #21
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
When you finally get a sought after piece, are you going to share it?
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 04:41 AM   #22
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Geary's is one of the biggest in LA (locations in Bev Hills, Century City, and Santa Monica). It's going to be next to impossible to get an LVc or Daytona from them without prior purchase history. I've never been to Bhindi, but know they are another high volume AD in the LA area and have heard similar things about difficult to get pieces. Other ADs I'm familiar with (Morgans and Ben Bridge in Torrance) are smaller -- so there you're facing effectively the same challenge because they likely get less hot pieces but still have loyal customer waiting lists.

I've heard great things about Polachek's in Calabasas if you're willing to make the drive. Friend of mine was able to pick up a LVc there as a first time customer. Andrew is the guy you want to contact there -- I've spoken to him a few times regarding some Pateks and he is awesome. My guess is that AD is large enough to get a good flow of high-demand inventory but just far away from LA enough to weed out a lot of the ordinary foot traffic asking for hard to get watches.

We seriously need to do an LA meet up soon! I am totally down!
absolutely down for an LA meet up as well! Or an OC one for better traffic conditions I also forgot to mention that Morgans, a year ago, took down $1k deposits for daytonas and other watches, but you do get on the "list" with that... not sure if thats still something they do but its worth a phone call.
Old 22 June 2018, 04:44 AM   #23
Nandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post

Good luck
Obviously I have no idea what anyone wants but personally I am looking for a 214270-0003 Explorer I. I don't think this is one of those ultra rarities but feel free to correct me. I am just getting into these watches so I am trying to learn as much as I can before I go shop.

If we did do a group thing, I was thinking about opening a google sheet where everyone could plunk down what they were looking for but I haven't really sat down to think about the feasibility of that approach beyond having a crazy idea.
Old 22 June 2018, 04:46 AM   #24
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
I have heard nothing but positive things about Bhindi Jewellers in Artesia. Plus, they have a large jewelry selection. This is the best place to establish a relationship because they have a higher profit on jewelry than watches. A lot of the guys here who get the hard to find pieces buy a lot of jewelry for their wives.
Bhindi is great! One of the larger Rolex AD's around and great service..like most larger AD's, they do have a lot of high profile and high end clients, which takes a little bit away from people like us.. so its still no cake walk to get difficult to attain pieces... but overall they're great! They invited me to their Tudor Gmt event tonight and I'm excited to attend!
Old 22 June 2018, 04:51 AM   #25
Nandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
When you finally get a sought after piece, are you going to share it?
Absolutely. I will share tons of pics of it on my wrist.

Just kidding. Sure I will share - I am not looking for any of the rare pieces for myself (not a fan of big bezels etc).
Old 22 June 2018, 05:04 AM   #26
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
I think they are opening a Rolex Boutique at Fashion Valley soon.

I am in the same boat in San Diego - though I am looking for a less rare model probably. I will be buying at least 2 if not 3 watches in the next few years (I have twin boys so I have /explained/ to my wife that I need two to pass down and one to keep ), and I would like to do it with at least a semi-local AD that I can have a relationship with.

San Diego only seems to have Ben Bridge and Royal Maui as options.

I am thinking about heading to LA to see what I find there.

My other thought is to buy my wife a few k worth of jewelry from the AD at UTC to get the wheels moving.[/QUOTE]
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 05:14 AM   #27
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
You need to spent a fortune on things you don't really want.
It is so easy, buy grey, pay a little over the MRSP and next day you have what you want. No false promises, waiting lists or other funny BS pulled off by AD's as seems to be the norm nowadays.

The AD relationship
Old 22 June 2018, 05:17 AM   #28
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
I saw a Sea Dweller in Tick Tock in Westminster just last week. It’s in an Asian centric mall, so I think off the beaten path a little. They are also a new rep for Grand Seiko so was cool to try on some of those models. I almost pulled the trigger on the Snowflake.

I recently purchased Rolex from Fredric Rubel at Mission Viejo mall, although a DJ41. They did not have any of the sought after professional models. They have another location in Laguna Beach. Staff is very nice, so doubt you get laughed out the room for asking.

Good luck.

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 06:34 AM   #29
Nandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
I think they are opening a Rolex Boutique at Fashion Valley soon.
My understanding is that Royal Maui is FV is losing their AD status and are being replaced with a Boutique.
Old 22 June 2018, 07:29 AM   #30
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My understanding is that Royal Maui is FV is losing their AD status and are being replaced with a Boutique.
Most probably correct from what I've heard too. And Fourtane (from Monterey/Carmel) is opening their location down here in Fashion Valley across from the Omega Boutique.

In regards to the OP's question....I've been between the ADs here in San Diego and with the current landscape....it's going to be very hard to establish that "relationship" without buying other things/watches. IMO if you want it now or you know this is the only watch for you for years to come....I'd pay the premium and move on and enjoy the watch from local guys like justrolexes (Tony) or ocrolexguy (Patrick). I feel like my own relationships are slipping away with these local ADs as sales people get changed over and I'm left out cold in the wind because I'm simply not interested in too many watches these days (too many in collection). We'll see if Ben Bridges will deliver on my BLRO or Wynn in Vegas....my guess is I'm in for a good wait because I haven't been actively "buying" as I've been buying Patek and vintage.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote