The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 October 2006, 11:05 AM   #1
bigG

Watch: My TT Sub/Daytona
Breitling Question

I am a Rolex loyalist and own two of them but I have had my eye on a Breitling for a while. I am ready to pull the trigger on a Windrider Chronomat Evolution Model 446 but I don't know much about the brand. Anybody have any info on this watch or Breitling in general? Thanks.
bigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2006, 05:24 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigG View Post
I am a Rolex loyalist and own two of them but I have had my eye on a Breitling for a while. I am ready to pull the trigger on a Windrider Chronomat Evolution Model 446 but I don't know much about the brand. Anybody have any info on this watch or Breitling in general? Thanks.
Hi George,

Breitling do make excellent watches....but their resale is horrendous. If you intend keeping the watch, then go ahead.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2006, 08:56 PM   #3
redsrover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMTMaster II
JJ's right on the money. Great watches, very reliable, but horrible resale. I have a titanium Breitling Aerospace (NOT the ugly new Aerospace Advantage) and it is a terrific everyday or weekend beater watch. Love the function of the Breitlings too. One criticism I have is the huge Lego-like quarter-hour markers on the rotating bezel. I took them off my Aerospace and much prefer the cleaner look.

Go for it!!
Old 27 October 2006, 09:01 PM   #4
BreitSheik

The Evolution is an excellent choice for today's trendy chronograph timepieces. Now with its more imposing case with a dial that makes a statement, you can't go wrong with this. Don't let JJ sway you otherwise, he's a Rollie nut , although it doesn't have quite the power of a good resale value as a Rollie, you would never think of reselling it anyway once you put it on your wrist! It kinda casts a spell on you that your spellbound to keep it. Ask JJ, it changed me to a Sheikh when I wore the blinger . I've never regretted it and am bound to keep this Sheikh watch forever. They are more exciting to look at (than just a plain Rollie) IMO .

Anyway, here is my review of mine ...
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ight=Evolution

And also another comparative test report of it ...
http://www.watchtime.com/archive/wt_...004_04_038.pdf

Last edited by BreitSheik; 28 October 2006 at 12:03 AM..
BreitSheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2006, 10:50 PM   #5
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Breitling is an excellent watch, George. But it's not for everyone. They run fairly big and they can look somewhat clunky (although not as clunky IMO as some others, e.g. the AP ROO). You need to like some degree of complications, because most Breitlings have one or more.

I've got one - the only Breitling I ever wanted, because of it's many complications - month, day, date, chrono, moon phase, slide rule, and requires resetting once every 4 years. It's fairly big - 43.5 mm - but not as big as my Glycine Airman 9 (at 44 mm). In fact, I'm wearing it today:

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2006, 01:46 AM   #6
Ravens35

I have a breitling crosswind, and I do like the watch. I've had it for 3 years and it is probably my most accurate watch. It is very heavy, compared to a rollie, which i like. Like others have said, resale isn't the best. I would only buy with a heavy discount, say 25-35%.
Ravens35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2006, 03:58 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens35 View Post
I have a breitling crosswind, and I do like the watch. I've had it for 3 years and it is probably my most accurate watch. It is very heavy, compared to a rollie, which i like. Like others have said, resale isn't the best. I would only buy with a heavy discount, say 25-35%.
Hi Ravens,

I had a Crosswind last year. Beautiful big watch, but the stationary hand and the camouflaged white hands on white dial drove me nuts. So I got rid of it!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2006, 06:55 AM   #8
Ravens35

Mine has a blue face, so i guess it is a bit more legible to me.
Ravens35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2006, 07:40 AM   #9
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

I had to sell mine for personal reasons not that long ago, and I miss it dearly.
Breitling makes a fantastic watch that really stands out.
The lego looking hour markers are called Rider Tabs and they are designed to facilitate the operation of the bezel while wearing gloves out in the field or in the cockpit of a fighter.

Breitling also has a division called Brelitling Chronometrie which basically rebuilds and refineshes every component of the base ETA ebauche. I have owned two Breitlings, and they were both scary accurate.

They also make some of the nicest dials in the industry. I am not talking about the look of it, which of course depends on your taste, but about the fit, finish and attention to detail. They are just fantastic miles away from any watch in that price range.

Breitling has brought numerous contributions to the watch world, and they have a long history and tradition.

Pick one up slightly used, and you won't have to worry about the resale value. Like most wathces, it retains about 50..60% of original MSRP once used.

Here are some pics of my ex Breitling, which I plan to replace as soon as possible.

Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2006, 08:33 AM   #10
bigG

Watch: My TT Sub/Daytona
Thank for the info..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreitSheik View Post
The Evolution is an excellent choice for today's trendy chronograph timepieces. Now with its more imposing case with a dial that makes a statement, you can't go wrong with this. Don't let JJ sway you otherwise, he's a Rollie nut , although it doesn't have quite the power of a good resale value as a Rollie, you would never think of reselling it anyway once you put it on your wrist! It kinda casts a spell on you that your spellbound to keep it. Ask JJ, it changed me to a Sheikh when I wore the blinger . I've never regretted it and am bound to keep this Sheikh watch forever. They are more exciting to look at (than just a plain Rollie) IMO .

Anyway, here is my review of mine ...
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ight=Evolution

And also another comparative test report of it ...
http://www.watchtime.com/archive/wt_...004_04_038.pdf
BreitSheik, I am getting the stainless steel version but I agree the TT looks great. What I really like about it is the huge 43.5mm size. You really know you are wearing a watch with this one. I also love the blue face and the detail of the dial. The reason I asked is that I went to my Rolex AD to get an adjustment on my Subby and he told me that Breitlings have had issues in recent years regarding reliability and getting them serviced (he does not carry them). Anyway I love the look of the watch and the way it feels. I will let you know if I pull the plug.
bigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2006, 09:53 AM   #11
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Breitling is a solid brand and one of the larger watch companies as well. If my memory is correct, they produce around 400,000 watches a year. I believe that only Rolex, Omega, and Cartier produce more units. So obviously, quite a few people buy them. Most people I know who have commented on them and posts I've read in other forums indicate they are very reliable and sturdy. As someone mentioned above, they have quite a few models that are quite big. Their dials tend to be "busy" making some of the models difficult for me personally to read (middle aged eyes). Right now their Superocean is on my "must buy" list. Several people have commented to me about some of their styles radiating "blinginess" especially when the watch has a polished finish. I have tried on the Superocean and I like it, obviously. If you like the style, go for it--they make very good quality watches.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote