The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 26 December 2009, 02:33 AM   #1
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Watch: All I can!
Rolex Sub vs. Breitling Superocean review

Hello everyone!!!

Well, here's my simple and modest review of the SS Rolex Submariner 16610 vs the SS Breitling Superocean. I have been wearing my Superocean pretty much non-stop for the past 7-8 years, and I have to say it truly is a PHENOMENAL watch. I have put it through a lot of rigors...outdoor sports, swimming, shooting, travelling, etc., and I have to say it has NEVER failed me in any way whatsoever. BUT, now that I have my Sub, I plan to send the Breitling to the "spa" for a much needed cleanup and refurbishment. I wanted to share a side-by side review before i did that, so here goes:

GENERAL:

Overall, when looked at side-by side, the watches appear relatively similar. Both have the 40mm tonneau cases, both are dive watches, and both are stainless steel. Obvious diferences one sees immediately are the different bracelet styles, and the more "busy" Breitling dial, and the polished case and end links on the bracelet. Center links are brushed satin. The Sub's bracelet is entirely brushed satin, no polish anywhere, which is imho, how a true dive watch should be.

SIDE VIEW

Here we begin to see more apparent differences. The Breitling case is quite a bit thicker and more robust than the Rolex case. However, the Rolex case is still just as solid, but in a more "refined" way. More elegant than the Breitling, all the while maintaining it's rugged look.

BRACELET AND CLASP

Some significant differences here. Both bracelets are very comfortable on the wrist, but they certainly do feel different. The Breitling "Professional" bracelet seems to "wrap" itself around the wrist a bit more than the Rolex Oyster bracelet. The clasp on the Breitling certainly has a more solid feel to it; after about 8 years of hard wear, the clasp still locks tight almost as firmly as it did the first day I put the watch on my wrist. The Rolex clasp closes with a nice snap, and feels pretty solid at this time (brand new). I do wish however that the clasp on the Rolex Sub would be more like the one on the DSSD or the GMT II C even. I think this may be an upgrade for the new Submariner for 2010, but not sure.

CROWN

The crown on the Superocean is bigger than on the Sub, and the crown guards are heftier. However, it is very difficult ro unscrew the crown on the Superocean compared to the Sub. The Sub crown unscrews easily, and screws back in nice and snug, with the nice triplock seal ensuring water resistance so well. The Superocean also ensures water resistance, but again, once that crown is screwed in, it does take quite a bit of effort to unscrew it.

DATE

The cyclops on the Sub gets a big thumbs up from me. Very easy to see the date at a brief glance.

The Superocean has no cyclops, and the date appears quite a bit smaller than on the Sub. Still readable, but not at a quick glance...need to focus a bit more here.

LUME

The Superocean's numerals are much more apparent than the Sub's "dots". No mistake trying to figure out the time in the dark on the Superocean. Both are equally bright, but the Superocan wins here on readability in the dark

CASEBACK

Nice logo and inscriptions on the Breitling caseback, Rolex caseback is plain. No big deal to me, just pointing out the differences.

FEEL / WEIGHT

The Superocean is a heavier, more "bulky" watch. Definitely makes you aware that you are wearing it. The Sub is much lighter compared to the Superocean, and feels more "natural" on the wrist.

Overall, they are both excellent watches. One nice thing about the Breitling watches in general is the ability to change from bracelet to leather or rubber wristbands. Very easy to dress the watch up or down with a simple quick change of the band.

I am very happy with my Sub, and I plan to wear it for a very long time!

Hope this review was helpful!!

Thanks for reading!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03328.JPG (166.3 KB, 771 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03329.JPG (151.6 KB, 761 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03331.JPG (173.6 KB, 758 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03332.JPG (169.6 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03333.JPG (177.5 KB, 750 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03335.JPG (118.8 KB, 747 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03336.JPG (109.9 KB, 744 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03337.JPG (111.7 KB, 743 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03342.JPG (162.8 KB, 744 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03343.JPG (153.8 KB, 740 views)

SS Sub 16610, 5513 meters first Sub, Tag Heuer Autavia (2003),Seiko Orange Monster, Seiko Turtle, Breitling Superocean
Abdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2009, 04:08 AM   #2
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Great review & great pics, but would like to have seen a couple of wrist shots for comparison.

I like Breitlings but do prefer the cleaner dial & bezel of the Sub.

Great to see that you've worn the Breitling for such a long time & have been happy with it. Always good to read when someone's reviewd a watch after such long ownership.

Thanks for sharing

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2009, 04:35 AM   #3
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice review and photos !!!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2009, 08:45 AM   #4
RolexUtopia

I Love your comparison views. Totally true and crisp, but in my view the Submariner is the epitome and quintessential of all sports/Divers watches dating back to 1954.
Love the breitling for its late entry into this market and also its voluptuous numerical display and would agree on your reviews on said night time display. Looking at both of these truly remarkable timepieces, i have to say that i still have to pick the subby, not in a negative point, but in a rugged, time established true sports watch that has been considered a clean watch.
Having said that, Breitling have designed a lovely competitor.
have fun wearing both, Abdon.
RolexUtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Watch: All I can!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexUtopia View Post
I Love your comparison views. Totally true and crisp, but in my view the Submariner is the epitome and quintessential of all sports/Divers watches dating back to 1954.
Love the breitling for its late entry into this market and also its voluptuous numerical display and would agree on your reviews on said night time display. Looking at both of these truly remarkable timepieces, i have to say that i still have to pick the subby, not in a negative point, but in a rugged, time established true sports watch that has been considered a clean watch.
Having said that, Breitling have designed a lovely competitor.
have fun wearing both, Abdon.
Thank you Randy! I agree with you 100% with regards to the Submariner being "...the epitome and quintessential of all sports/Divers watches dating back to 1954."

At the time of purchase, I bought the Breitling simply for its aesthetic value...I knew Breitling to be a very good watch brand, and after acquiring the Superocean, and wearing it almost daily for about 8 years, I learned to appreciate it's ruggedness and heft, as well as its aesthetic appeal. I always thought Rolex to be an excellent brand as well, perhaps better even than Breitling, in its own way. Which is truly better? I honestly don't know. I guess it all comes down to preference, mood, "look", among a number of other factors. At the end, I would have to say that I am very happy to own both! For now, I think I will have the Sub on my wrist for quite a long time....I LOVE the watch and the look of it on my wrist!!!

I really like the look of dive watches, and I hope to own several more as time goes by and as the funds permit! Next on the list is perhaps an IWC, or maybe even a Doxa....now where are those lottery numbers? LOL

SS Sub 16610, 5513 meters first Sub, Tag Heuer Autavia (2003),Seiko Orange Monster, Seiko Turtle, Breitling Superocean
Abdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2009, 09:44 AM   #6
RolexUtopia

LOL, yes you have also made me go to the lottery site in the UK, as I too would love to own a IWC Schaffhausen time piece also!!!
Regards!!
RolexUtopia is offline   Reply With Quote