The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 August 2008, 06:25 AM   #1
thetuk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 & 116520
Pix: Permanent link removed

Guys,

As a follow up to my previous post regarding the removed permanent link on my GMT II. Here are some pix. As you will notice, now there are only 4 links on the 6 o'clock side. I must say that it now sits more centered and feels much more comfortable on my wrist. You will also see that the steps between the fixed and last removable links are not really noticable.

Thank you!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP2598.JPG (136.9 KB, 1392 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2600.JPG (134.9 KB, 1352 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2601.JPG (136.6 KB, 1345 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2602.JPG (134.7 KB, 1339 views)

Happy Rolexing.....

Member No. 12503
thetuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 06:26 AM   #2
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
great work!! it look sgreat

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 06:27 AM   #3
mfer
"TRF" Member

Great work also. Who did the work?
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 06:29 AM   #4
thetuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
Great work also. Who did the work?
RSC Beverly Hills. I think they did a fantastic job. I am completely satisfied....

Happy Rolexing.....

Member No. 12503
Old 16 August 2008, 06:31 AM   #5
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
Looks really even.
Old 16 August 2008, 06:31 AM   #6
mfer
"TRF" Member

I bet they have a special pliers just for this. Man I want this done so my GF can wear my sub. I need another bracelet.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 07:14 AM   #7
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

It looks really balance and since it sits comfortably on your wrist then everything is fine

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 07:16 AM   #8
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Looks great! Glad you're happy with it!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 07:17 AM   #9
yallr

Watch: 1998 Date Just SS
Looks Good. How much did they charge?

Thank You
yallr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 07:21 AM   #10
jasonbellevue
"TRF" Member

Nicely done.
Old 16 August 2008, 07:28 AM   #11
scottjal
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I'm guessing you won't be able to put the link back on? Was it destroyed?
Old 16 August 2008, 07:29 AM   #12
thetuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yallr View Post
Looks Good. How much did they charge?

Thank You
No charge since it is under warranty.....

Happy Rolexing.....

Member No. 12503
Old 16 August 2008, 07:30 AM   #13
thetuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjal View Post
I'm guessing you won't be able to put the link back on? Was it destroyed?

That is correct. Once a permanent link is removed, it is damaged and cann't be reused.

Happy Rolexing.....

Member No. 12503
Old 16 August 2008, 07:32 AM   #14
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetuk View Post
That is correct. Once a permanent link is removed, it is damaged and cann't be reused.
You can always add one if you ever feel the need to so everything is cool

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 08:00 AM   #15
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Looks great!
~Scott
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 08:03 AM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good job....although, personally, I'm glad I get the perfect, straight out of box fit and never have to do that to my bracelet!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 10:03 AM   #17
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
Wow man that looks really great! I had always wanted that done as well, however when I saw one removed by the SFO RSC it did not look as good, as the step on the last link was very noticable.

Thanks for posting the pictures!
Old 16 August 2008, 10:10 AM   #18
mickeydainish
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 16610
Looks gr8... glad you are satisfied!! :-)
mickeydainish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 12:44 PM   #19
imt2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Guys,

As a follow up to my previous post regarding the removed permanent link on my GMT II. Here are some pix. As you will notice, now there are only 4 links on the 6 o'clock side. I must say that it now sits more centered and feels much more comfortable on my wrist. You will also see that the steps between the fixed and last removable links are not really noticable.

Thank you!!!
Thanks for the pics. I think the RSC did more than just removing the permanent link. They also polished away the "step". There's a change of "slope" on the 3rd permanent link. Normally, the "slopes" on all permanent links are the same.
imt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 01:18 PM   #20
DaveInLA
"TRF" Member

Thetuk, do you mind if I ask your wrist size? I keep won wearing my watch and imagining what it would feel like with a fixed link removed, but of course, it's not the same as having it done. Unfortunately, it's permanent, so that's not something I want to risk. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by imt2000 View Post
Thanks for the pics. I think the RSC did more than just removing the permanent link. They also polished away the "step". There's a change of "slope" on the 3rd permanent link. Normally, the "slopes" on all permanent links are the same.
I think you're right. I was wondering how this could've happened without that "step" between the links, and after looking at it again, it's definitely shaped differently.
DaveInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 02:32 PM   #21
thetuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That may be the case but its hardly noticable unless you look hard. I did not even notice that until you pointed out. For me, its about comfort. If I spend thousands of dollars on a watch, I'd rather have it feel comfortable on my wrist. I do not have the luxury of wearing the watch right out of the box... so I gotta do what feels right for me. We are talking about removing a permanent link, so its aways going to be imperfection whether its uneven steps or a change of slope or whatever the case may be. In my book, the RSC did a great job of hiding the uneven steps. Yeah, it may be obvious to us....WISs.... but its good enough for me.

Happy Rolexing.....

Member No. 12503
Old 16 August 2008, 02:37 PM   #22
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Nice job.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 03:25 PM   #23
imt2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That may be the case but its hardly noticable unless you look hard. I did not even notice that until you pointed out. For me, its about comfort. If I spend thousands of dollars on a watch, I'd rather have it feel comfortable on my wrist. I do not have the luxury of wearing the watch right out of the box... so I gotta do what feels right for me. We are talking about removing a permanent link, so its aways going to be imperfection whether its uneven steps or a change of slope or whatever the case may be. In my book, the RSC did a great job of hiding the uneven steps. Yeah, it may be obvious to us....WISs.... but its good enough for me.
I think the RSC did a great job too. I'm procastinating on the permanent link removal as I think the step will bug me. Now with the step polished away .... hmm.... it looks much bettter ..... I'm one step closer to removing the permanent link. When I decide to have it done, i'll want it to be done like what has been done to yours.

By the way, what's your wrist size? do you have a wrist shot? After wearing my gmt on strap, I find that the gmt on bracelet is visually bigger than the gmt on strap. the gmt on strap is just about the right size for my wrist of 5.9" or maybe i'm too used to the gmt on strap now....
imt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 03:39 PM   #24
thetuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the RSC did a great job too. I'm procastinating on the permanent link removal as I think the step will bug me. Now with the step polished away .... hmm.... it looks much bettter ..... I'm one step closer to removing the permanent link. When I decide to have it done, i'll want it to be done like what has been done to yours.

By the way, what's your wrist size? do you have a wrist shot? After wearing my gmt on strap, I find that the gmt on bracelet is visually bigger than the gmt on strap. the gmt on strap is just about the right size for my wrist of 5.9" or maybe i'm too used to the gmt on strap now....
I think we have about the same wrist size. Mine is slightly larger than 6" but not by much though. If you are close to RSC BH, I recommend giving them a chance.

P.S. I may have one link added to the 12 o'clock side and slide the bracelet into the clasp, keeping the same size, to hide the last removable link that has slots on the 12 o'clock. Somehow, seeing those slots are just not pleasing to my eyes.....

Happy Rolexing.....

Member No. 12503
Old 16 August 2008, 04:27 PM   #25
DaveInLA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think we have about the same wrist size. Mine is slightly larger than 6" but not by much though. If you are close to RSC BH, I recommend giving them a chance.
I'm EXTREMELY tempted to have this link removed now that your pics look great. I have some concern that it won't turn out as well as yours did, though. I don't plan on ever selling my Expy, but if this doesn't fit perfectly, it won't be worth it.

tuk, can you please be a little more specific about your wrist size? I've noticed that very small differences like 1/4" make all the difference in the world because that's almost the size of one link. My wrist is 6" even and I can't get a great feeling of how it'll fit with one link removed. I've tried manipulating it on my hand, but it's obviously not the same. thanks
Old 16 August 2008, 05:06 PM   #26
thetuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I'm EXTREMELY tempted to have this link removed now that your pics look great. I have some concern that it won't turn out as well as yours did, though. I don't plan on ever selling my Expy, but if this doesn't fit perfectly, it won't be worth it.

tuk, can you please be a little more specific about your wrist size? I've noticed that very small differences like 1/4" make all the difference in the world because that's almost the size of one link. My wrist is 6" even and I can't get a great feeling of how it'll fit with one link removed. I've tried manipulating it on my hand, but it's obviously not the same. thanks

Dave,

I just used the tape measure and it came out to be slightly under 6-1/4". I would say that you should not have any problem at all with one link removed. Keep in mind that you can always adjust the bracelet on the 12 o'clock side to make it fit perfectly.

Are you in LA? I am in Torrance so if you want to see it in person, I would be happy to show it to you. PM me if you like.....

Happy Rolexing.....

Member No. 12503
Old 16 August 2008, 05:54 PM   #27
DaveInLA
"TRF" Member

tuk, I sent you a PM. :)
Old 16 August 2008, 08:49 PM   #28
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Looks great. Here is a picture - as reference. I posted it the other day on the same topic - permanent link removal. It could be interesting to compare the result.

I have exactly the same layout on my bracelet (same bracelet, but an Explorer II). But I have not polished the last fixed link, so there is still a small gap. I measured it to be 0.5 mm on each side. RSC seems to have done a great job on your bracelet, and it makes me wonder if I should not have my bracelets (yes, several) polished in the same manner, to remove the visual gap.

The fit is quite tight on my wrist, and I like it like that, and I find it to be perfect. On older oyster bracelets where some stretch has occured the removal of a fixed link becomes even more important for a good fit.

I measured my wrist, its about 6.5 inches, a bit smaller if cold, a bit bigger if warm.

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 10:42 PM   #29
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
After seeing this, I am curious. I feel like I barely, and I mean barely get away with watches of this size on my 6.75" wrist without them looking huge. You guys with smaller wrist have any pics....wrist shots I mean??

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2008, 10:46 PM   #30
BLSampson
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Good job....although, personally, I'm glad I get the perfect, straight out of box fit and never have to do that to my bracelet!!
Me too JJ, I have a Rolex wrist!