The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 February 2019, 06:04 AM   #1
Seascooch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603 Date Just
Vintage Date Just or Frankenwatch? Should I return?

Hello all! I am so happy to be part of the wisdom that is this forum! My wife made a grand gesture and bought a Date Just 1603 from a well respected Rolex merchant in our area. After looking at the serial number the estimated manufacture date from a few google searches shows that this is a 1952 or 1962 watch. The SN is incredibly difficult to read mind you. But anyway, this throws off almost everything else about the watch. The model showing a 1603 with a 1570 movement, cyclops and the TswissT just doesn’t add up. There is a lot of stretch in the jubilee bracelet as well, which I am also suspect of since there are no markings on the connectors.The sweeping second hand is also blue instead of silver like the minute and hour hands which is alarming. (It's supposed to be a USA SS Jubilee band) I think she spent $2,600 on the watch, which is beautiful, and I love it, but not if it is fake/frankenwatched. Am I overreacting? Again, I trust the merchant and it may be oversite in his part, plus he has even offered to take it back. I’m just trying to make sure that my wife spent her money wisely, or if we should take him up in the offer and return the watch for a place like Bob's that guarantees authenticity. Although this is a daily wearer, and one I have wanted for 15 years, It would still be nice to know that we could still get our money back out of it should (God forbid) should we ever need to.

Thanks again for looking over and I can’t wait to hear what you guys think!
Cheers!
Seascooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 06:11 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A Frankenwatch is a parts made watch built to resemble something that it is not. It is not a 50 year old watch that has had worn or obsolete parts replaced as it is unlikely that you will find many that are original.

The 1570 movements were introduced in ~1965, so, it would certainly be wrong if it was in an earlier case (yet to be determined) and so there is more to understand about your watch.

Without decent photos we are unlikely to be able to say much more. Don't deceive yourself by believing that some Internet sales site can "guarantee" authenticity or originality just because they say so.
Old 11 February 2019, 06:15 AM   #3
Seascooch
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much for your reply! I will post some photos as soon as I figure out how the uploader works lol. That is good to know about the proper definition of a Frankenwatch. I just always thought it was a watch pieced together with whatever was available to make it run... I did get a little false hope I guess in seeing the authenticity guarantee that Bob's Watches offers, but I think you make a good point, you never know with a vintage watch unless you have ALL of the records lol. Thanks again, and Pictures to come!
Old 11 February 2019, 06:35 AM   #4
Seascooch
"TRF" Member

I finally was abe to resize the photos. Here they are, let me know if any more are needed. Thanks so much for all the help! This is my first Rolex, and I'm coming from an Apple Watch so that should say something
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1043.jpg (133.8 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1044.jpg (145.8 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1045.jpg (143.1 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1046.jpg (143.2 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1047.jpg (224.0 KB, 295 views)
Old 11 February 2019, 06:37 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn't panic until you get all the facts together. Perhaps the serial is later than you think, or perhaps the movement is a cal 1560 instead of a 1570. Really good photos between the lugs and of the movement will be required to sort out the issues.
Old 11 February 2019, 06:43 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

If I recall correctly, a "T SWISS T" dial would seem to suggest later than 1962. What is the serial?
Old 11 February 2019, 06:50 AM   #7
Seascooch
"TRF" Member

It's really hard to read but we are thinking it's 821394? Think the 1570 movement is crammed into a 60's Oyster? lol.
Old 11 February 2019, 07:09 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Are you sure it's not 1,821,384? Hands, dial, movement would all make much more sense. What does the inside of the case-back say? There should be a date code under 1603.
Old 11 February 2019, 07:35 AM   #9
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Everything looks Rolex. It may be an early 1603 with a later dial and hands. The bracelet is an oval link US made and looks a little loose but original. It probably looks fine on the wrist.

I so hate this originality bullshit applied to DJs. That watch is probably pushing 60 years old it's had parts replaced as needed, it is as you see it. Don't apply silly standards from 60 years ago as to how it should be today.

It's your watch now, if you want a black dial get one, get it serviced, if it needs new parts put them on it. Wear it, take care of it and give it to one of your kids when the time comes.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 08:39 AM   #10
Seascooch
"TRF" Member

I love everything about this post, and it’s 100% what I was fishing for and hoping to hear :-) thanks for the input and your thought are very much in line with my own. I was more or less hoping that she got what she paid for :-)
Old 11 February 2019, 12:42 PM   #11
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

As per Richards post. He is spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 February 2019, 01:03 PM   #12
Seascooch
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much! Well if you guys don’t have any red flags or problems with it, or wouldn’t mind wearing it on your wrists, I guess I’ll let the vendor know that I’ll be keeping it, and officially add it to the collection! (Which consists of this, a fossil, and an Apple Watch. I finally added some class and something I’ve wanted for years!) I can learn to love that weird blue sweep hand and slightly concerning crown clasp :-D Thanks again!
Old 12 February 2019, 10:55 AM   #13
Seascooch
"TRF" Member

Well here's some news if anyone was hanging off the edge of their seats. We took the case back off today and saw where it had been serviced at least twice in what looked like 1973 and another date that was scribbled in by the technician (I had no idea they did this and I find it really cool!) The case top says 1603 and the back says 1603 and at the bottom, sure enough it says III.63 So I guess I have a 1963 1603! It has the 1560 movement and everything looks really good for the age on the inside. It was fascinating to see! I googled a few 1963 1603s and they all looked like mine save for one with the folded Jubilee link bracelet. There was one other oval. My band doesn't look like it was polished too much so I may try to purchase another one and keep this one fresh. Thanks again for all of your help and I just wanted to update everyone on my findings!

Cheers!