The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 30 December 2009, 03:00 AM   #1
allenlau2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 116710LN
My First Rolex (SD-M series)

I must start off by thanking this forum... Without you guys, I would not have had the knowledge nor confidence to purchase a Rolex from the gray market.

After months of research mainly from TRF and various websites on how to spot fakes, I felt I was ready but I needed more. I headed over to the nearest AD and instead of peering through the window display like I normally do, I nonchalantly entered through the doors and casually nodded to the sales rep. He quickly obliged and greeted me as if I was his regular customer.. The orchestration and the finesse of the sales reps was seamless, chair pulled and tea poured (Location-HK).. I remain standing to get a good view of the display case while I slowly sip the tea. The eager sales rep remains silent as he senses my deliberation. "Do you have the Sea Dweller", I ask. He replies Deep Sea, sir? I shook me head, "no". A wide grin from ear to ear appears from his face. He explains "sir, we onni haf 1, no keep in stor, we bring 5 minute okay?" I reply "show me the Deep Sea and Sub".

Moments later the SD arrives, I'm still in awe with the size, weight and HEIGHT of the SDDS, it's enormous! I remove the SDDS from my puny wrist and he hands me the SD. Side by side, I quickly rule out the SDDS, too big although I have to agree it is an immaculate piece. I ask why the SD was not kept at the shop and the rep explains they keep additional stock elsewhere and I didn't think too much about it. I asked to see the SD certificate of authenticity and he assures me that it's genuine and it's an M series. The price quoted was HKD$47,500... I disregard his quote and rotate the bezel counter clockwise and concentrate on counting the clicks, 30 clicks in and I'm at the 9 position, good sign, I continue clicking away repositioning the pearl back to it's original position. I inspect the crown guards and unscrew the crown gently until it pops out. I give it a couple winds and pull out the crown further, at this time the rep takes the watch from my hands and begins to show me how to change the date and time while mentioning the triple lock and rubber seal.. Sensing my irritation he hands me back the watch.. After years of living and working in HK I naturally begin negotiations, bargaining and prolonging my exposure to the watch familiarizing myself with the feel and weight of the watch. (knowing I will not buy the watch now). Final discount was only 4% by cash.. I slip on the SD once more and admire the beauty...

Needless to say, I had left the sales rep hanging, I call up the gray market acquaintance that I know and make an appointment.. Soon after, I was checking the laser etched crown (with loupe) and the serial number against the card I had the SD on my wrist after closing the deal at HKD$37,500. He even let me take the watch without any transaction, he simply gave me his bank account number and asked me to make the deposit..

The SD was brand new with the plastic protection and came with the certificate card (M series from Australia), bezel guard, both tags, divers extension, tool kit with submariner instruction booklet. No box though, would have been nice to have but I was satisfied with just authenticity card and the watch of course...

I keep on wondering if the AD would buy back the watch from the gray market, so to speak and sell it through the store again. He would make a pretty good margin....

All in all, I'm really enjoying this watch and cant stop looking at it..

Thanks for reading...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD1.jpg (103.9 KB, 854 views)
File Type: jpg SD2.jpg (135.7 KB, 860 views)
File Type: jpg SD3.jpg (116.5 KB, 852 views)
File Type: jpg SD4.jpg (115.0 KB, 848 views)
allenlau2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Welcome, thanks for sharing

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2009, 05:13 AM   #3
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

welcome to the 4000 club !
Old 31 December 2009, 05:33 AM   #4
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Congrats, great pics
Old 31 December 2009, 05:41 AM   #5
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Welcome! Great watch... Great pic's!!

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2009, 08:12 AM   #6
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Rolex!!!!
Wear it with pride and good health!!
Rob.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Playdrv4me
"TRF" Member

Watch: the 4Sale section!
What a great watch and I LOVED reading your post, it was like a short-story LOL.

Enjoy.
Playdrv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Watch: All I can!
Congratulations!!! May you enjoy your SD for many many years!!!

SS Sub 16610, 5513 meters first Sub, Tag Heuer Autavia (2003),Seiko Orange Monster, Seiko Turtle, Breitling Superocean
Abdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2010, 01:47 AM   #9
phantom357
"TRF" Member

Watch: me drink Guinness!
Nice, nice, nice!! Enjoy my friend.
phantom357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2010, 03:04 AM   #10
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Congrats !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2010, 04:15 AM   #11
allenlau2000
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your comments... Now my wife is taking an interested in the Daytona (rose gold). Going for HKD$238,600 at the AD, stunning watch!! But think she should start with something less blingy unless she wants to buy it herself.. lol..
Old 2 January 2010, 03:44 PM   #12
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

When I was in HK last January, I saw many ladies wearing oversized and men's watches. 2 of our flight attendants on Cathay Pacific were wearing men's Rolexes.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2010, 03:53 PM   #13
Rob587
Banned

Watch: Rolex Air King
Cool story! Be sure to tell us how you like it as time goes on.

You mentioned seeing the sub and the sea dweller side by side.. Is the SD bigger or thicker than the sub, or are they the same?
Rob587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2010, 03:57 PM   #14
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Congratulations. SD 4000 is one of my all time favorite as well
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2010, 09:31 PM   #15
allenlau2000
"TRF" Member

@sea-dweller
Funny you mentioned Cathay, my wife is also a flight attendant and there is no way I would let her wear her Rolex to work (if she had one) lol... I had given her my Omega Speedmaster and just after a few weeks and there are plenty of new scratches. I had also discovered the watch has moisture inside most likely due to the cabin pressure. Both the hour & minute hand is showing signs of corrosion.

If she had a rolex, I would not be worried about the cabin pressure but would be worried about the scratches and stuff. They may look elegant when they're are working but let me reassure you there is a lot of physical work. Not a safe environment for an expensive watch...

@ Rob587,
At the time I didn't really compare the thickness of the Sub and Sea Dweller, any comparison I did was with the SD and SDDS which was much easier to spot (obviously).

However, I did compare my SD to my friends sub and without the SDDS present, it was much easier spot. The SD is thicker by around 1mm (maybe more). Im not sure if thickness is correct but the sub was about 13mm while the SD is 14.5mm thick from top of the sapphire to the bottom of the caseback. Perhaps other members with more knowledge can bring some light to this..

Aesthetically the SD sapphire crystal looks thicker as does the bezel and the caseback drops down more. This makes the SD look more robust and solid which is more to my liking. We both did a weight test with our eyes closed and we both identified the heavier SD..

Thanks,
Allen
Old 5 January 2010, 07:00 AM   #16
andrew_uzio
"TRF" Member

Watch: None yet.
Congrats
andrew_uzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 10:08 AM   #17
tandrup
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Congrats on your new watch. What a beauty! Nice pics too.
Georg Jensen 2347
tandrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 10:27 AM   #18
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
Congrats & welcome to TRF!
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 10:31 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 11:11 AM   #20
albertgo
"TRF" Member

wear it in good health. excellent choice.

After my brother got his new GMT iiC few months ago, I began my search and finally decided to get a Brand New SD. I must say, it is not easy to get a complete brand new set of SD here in Singapore.

Finally, i came upon one, and meeting the seller in mid-Jan 2010. Hopefully, everything works out well for the SGD$7700 (USD$5500) SD here.

Btw, I juz got for my wife a new 179174 ladies DJ last Christmas before they increase the price AGAIN after the new year

Will post once I got my SD with my wife's DJ which she simply LOVE it every minute.
albertgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 11:27 AM   #21
allenlau2000
"TRF" Member

@alberto

I'm confident you will be very satisfied with your decision, I hope everything works out for you.

Just curious, is the price of USD$5,500 from the AD or gray market?
Old 5 January 2010, 12:25 PM   #22
albertgo
"TRF" Member

From Gray Seller only.

Also, it come with cert, Box, toolkit and everything u would get from a AD, but no anchor i suppose. and from SG local set also.

Actually planning to go HongKong to search for SD there. Heard cheaper there. Can get a brand new set still in HK? Wanted to keep the new set and get another sport model for daily wear, maybe GMT or SUB. currently, using a Tissot and MontBlanc for daily office work.

we shld keep contact and can refer to each other AD pricing, what do u think? do u have a contact here in Singapore? But I heard the Rolexes are more expensive in Singapore.

Cheers!
Old 5 January 2010, 01:15 PM   #23
allenlau2000
"TRF" Member

I think SD's are only available from the gray market if they still have them.. I went to a 3 different AD's last week (all in Causeway Bay) and they do not carry nor will be able to get them. I purchased mine a little over 2 months (no box) and back then the AD's did not have them. It may be a bit more expensive now especially if it's brand new (which is justifiable). Try to look around locally while your waiting for your guy, I think you can find something lower in price but it may not be brand new.

I dont have any contact in Singapore, I will check with my gray guy and see if he can still get his hand on a brand new one. I'm curious to know too...
Old 6 January 2010, 06:11 AM   #24
SEADWELLER68
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sea-Dweller
Outstanding watch . Wear it with pride . I DO
SEADWELLER68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 01:25 PM   #25
allenlau2000
"TRF" Member

@albertgo
Confirmed by my gray dealer there are still some available in HK going for HKD$45,000 or USD$ 5,770 (brand new). That's more than what your dealer is asking for, you should negotiate with your guy in Singapore and nudge him for a discount.

The price has gone up 18% from when I had purchased it 2 months ago at HKD$38,000. However, I do feel there is room for a discount if going for HKD$45,000..

It's not surprising at all that the price is increasing for the SD in the gray market. How bout other forum members, does anyone have current gray market prices for the SD (Brand New) for other parts of the world?
Old 7 January 2010, 02:16 AM   #26
albertgo
"TRF" Member

Thank you for asking your grey dealer in HK. I have agrred on the buying price from my dealer and I dun think I will get or ask any more discount. Now, all I can do is wait until he is back from oversea to seal the deal. Maybe, he is reading this too.

Juz hope the M series set are completely new/flawless with all the stickers on sidecase and backcase, the 2D barcode, bezel protector, Rolex seal,etc. I dun intend to use it at all. I will also get the anchor later.

enjoy your SD.
Old 7 January 2010, 02:20 AM   #27
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
Love it! Congrats and welcome!
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2010, 03:42 AM   #28
Jason Judd

Thanks for sharing!
Jason Judd is offline   Reply With Quote