The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 August 2017, 04:26 AM   #1
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Mk1 DRSD Values

Having recently found my MK2 PP DRSD and love it, I have found a MK1 PP DRSD. I know the difference between the models but can anyone suggest how much it would cost to change from a MK2 to a MK1 .

How much rarer is a MK1 ?.

Thx
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 09:24 AM   #2
mdw3
"TRF" Member

Significantly more-- figure about double.

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 02:05 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
According to drsd.com there were less PP mkIIs made than PP MKIs. Why is the mkI worth double? Is it because the mkI dials only appeared on the PPDRSD?

(I know nothing about these just picking the brain of those who know)
Old 9 August 2017, 04:04 PM   #4
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Hi Tom,

I was trying to figure this out, I had wanted a MK2 DRSD for several years ,it sort of fitted between my Red Sub and Red Seadweller one being thin case the other thick.I passed on lots over the last three years mostly down to chips on the minute markers even more so on the five minute markers.I know it's acceptable and considered one way of judging authenticity as most have the chips.

Moving on a new member posted pics of his dads watch on the forum asking advice. Some suggested it was maybe too good to be true, and google would show John what he had, Well we talked some and over the weeks J started getting offers from Members and dealers alike, he came back and said he and his wife had thought long and hard and as I was the first to offer any positive words and pointed them in the right direction,it would Be appropriate for me to at least have the chance of owning it, So I asked some advice from respected professionals in the U.K.,and US, John told me what they had received in offers and if I matched the highest it was mine,The deal was concluded via a Friend in the US and two off my boys went and collected the Watch.

TBH, The watch has the most wonderful tropical dial,with quite strong Patina ,As it had been stored for years in a safety deposit box. It has been serviced some polishing I'm sure, but I love it, The 9315 PP bracelet was very short, I took it to RSC StJames ,they added new links ,cleaned,refinished and tightened the clasp.

It is currently my daily and the plots have really lightened up. And the watch is the next door neighbour serial wise to one of the best known Sub experts in the U.K. , What's the chance off that !.I asked him for brutal assessment of mine and he said there is nothing not to like it's a beaut. How kind.

Back to the beginning what's the value? . I found a lovely nice mk1PP and thought maybe move up to a MK1, but now after talking to some experts who have handled 44 PP s and 28 were mk1s it would appear there are two mk1s to every MK2. Both are reasonably thin on the ground.

I just don't think the Mk1 would be worth the extra money, I would rather keep it towards another watch.

Writing this it would seam the appropriate time to thank all those that helped in the decision making and encouraged me to buy this MK2

Thanks All
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 04:42 PM   #5
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

It would be great to see an updated collection picture.