The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 February 2019, 12:40 AM   #1
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Help with purchase of Tudor 79280P non Tiger

Hey ladies and germs. I've always wanted a Tudor Big Block and just can't afford one. The market seems at a high.

So I'm looking at a Tudor "small block" if there is such a nickname. Its a 79280P, non Tiger, silver dial signed "Swiss Made", white sub dials, baton markers (non Arabic), oyster bracelet, Tudor signed crown and case back, never polished, beautiful condition, no box papers, no service history.

I really like it. I've really never seen that dial color before and I'm not a fan on the Tiger signature or Arabic numbers. I love Oyster bracelets and think the polished lugs adds a little pizazz without overdoing it. I have a smaller wrist and think it'll lay nicely.

A couple questions. How is this Valjoux different from the Big Block besides the size? Is it similar specs and robust build quality? I know (believe) there are various levels of that Valjoux 7750. Did Tudor beef them up for the 79280P with some in house mods?

Secondly, what do you think a fair price is for this model I described?

Thanks for your input.
SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 02:20 AM   #2
tudorsuitor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Hey ladies and germs. I've always wanted a Tudor Big Block and just can't afford one. The market seems at a high.

So I'm looking at a Tudor "small block" if there is such a nickname. Its a 79280P, non Tiger, silver dial signed "Swiss Made", white sub dials, baton markers (non Arabic), oyster bracelet, Tudor signed crown and case back, never polished, beautiful condition, no box papers, no service history.

I really like it. I've really never seen that dial color before and I'm not a fan on the Tiger signature or Arabic numbers. I love Oyster bracelets and think the polished lugs adds a little pizazz without overdoing it. I have a smaller wrist and think it'll lay nicely.

A couple questions. How is this Valjoux different from the Big Block besides the size? Is it similar specs and robust build quality? I know (believe) there are various levels of that Valjoux 7750. Did Tudor beef them up for the 79280P with some in house mods?

Secondly, what do you think a fair price is for this model I described?

Thanks for your input.
Do you have pics? Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you're willing to spend the time to find the right one for the right price), prices are all over the place for this model, so you should definitely be careful!
tudorsuitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 08:43 AM   #3
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorsuitor View Post
Do you have pics? Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you're willing to spend the time to find the right one for the right price), prices are all over the place for this model, so you should definitely be careful!
Asking $3,550.00. I still think that's too rich.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_s-l1600.jpg (104.9 KB, 343 views)
Old 3 February 2019, 01:19 AM   #4
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Anybody?

Old 3 February 2019, 02:10 AM   #5
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Nice looking watch. I'm under the impression the 79280P came on the strap and deployant clasp originally. Can you look between the lugs and check for two sets of springbar holes?

What little research I did before buying my 79280P Tiger indicated the bracelet was an add on, not that you'll be charged with any Rolexian crimes, just an FYI. A slight advantage for the P was the ability to use either the bracelet or the end link and leather hence the two sets of holes. Maybe you could chase down an original strap set up. As Tudorsuitor said; prices are all over the place on these watches.

Here's my lusty Tiger bought at the peak of public disgust for it's namesake. :)

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 03:09 AM   #6
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Here's my lusty Tiger bought at the peak of public disgust for it's namesake. :)
Love it!

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Arabic numerals on the dial hence why I like the one I posted.

Good point about the strap, thanks. I can't see between the lugs. I'm not a fan of leather straps on these style of watches (bigger chronos) and really like the genuine oyster Tudor bracelet. I don't know if I can use that as a negotiating tactic as many see the bracelet as an upgrade. I'm trying to politely shave off another 5% or so as he's already come down. I don't want to overpay because I can add another vintage or even cal 3135 DateJust in near mint condition to my collection for that price.

But thanks for the info and pics
Old 3 February 2019, 08:33 AM   #7
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
If you haven't seen this thread, it's a great read

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=40866

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 03:47 PM   #8
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo38 View Post
If you haven't seen this thread, it's a great read

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=40866
That's a great link, thanks for digging it up. I've read it before when Googling info.

I still can't find an answer to my question. Is it the same Valjoux 7750 in the Big Block and 79280P?
Old 4 February 2019, 01:33 AM   #9
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's a great link, thanks for digging it up. I've read it before when Googling info.

I still can't find an answer to my question. Is it the same Valjoux 7750 in the Big Block and 79280P?
From Tudor’s own website...regarding the 79280

“Its movement remained the self-winding Valjoux calibre 7750 in a substantially improved version. Its finishing was characteristic and benefitted from a particular aesthetic effort. Entirely refreshed, its decor was called “special TUDOR”. Its rotor was no longer decorated with transfer marking, but engraved and gilded. Its screws were now polished rather than matt.”
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 01:17 PM   #10
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
From Tudor’s own website...regarding the 79280

“Its movement remained the self-winding Valjoux calibre 7750 in a substantially improved version. Its finishing was characteristic and benefitted from a particular aesthetic effort. Entirely refreshed, its decor was called “special TUDOR”. Its rotor was no longer decorated with transfer marking, but engraved and gilded. Its screws were now polished rather than matt.”
So it sounds like the movement was just aesthetically upgraded from the Big Block and not functionally upgraded.
Old 5 February 2019, 11:34 AM   #11
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

I worked out a deal and bought it. It includes a full overhaul with no case or bracelet polishing. I Googled the watch repair company they use and was very impressed and feel comfortable. They had a nice piece written up about them in NY Times
Old 6 February 2019, 03:28 AM   #12
Mr_Pacman
"TRF" Member

I've had both the "big block" and the 79280 at the same time and measured them with digital calipers. The size, surprisingly, is not much different. If I recall correctly, the big block was around .3mm thicker and around .2mm wider in diameter. The big block had bigger crown guards. For some reason they both wear differently on the wrist.

I sold the big block as someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I've still got 2 of the "small block" models. One on the bracelet and this steel/gold version on the strap/endlink/deployant combo.

congrats on the purchase!

Mr_Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 04:19 AM   #13
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Pacman View Post
I've had both the "big block" and the 79280 at the same time and measured them with digital calipers. The size, surprisingly, is not much different. If I recall correctly, the big block was around .3mm thicker and around .2mm wider in diameter. The big block had bigger crown guards. For some reason they both wear differently on the wrist.

I sold the big block as someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I've still got 2 of the "small block" models. One on the bracelet and this steel/gold version on the strap/endlink/deployant combo.

congrats on the purchase!
Thanks! Very nice two tone. You don't see those often. Yeah, those Big Blocks are very expensive now. Wish I could afford one, but I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I need it like a hole in the head, but I wanted it! I'll just let the girlfriend know that it's an old one when she says, "Hey, I haven't seen that watch before."
Old 6 February 2019, 05:11 AM   #14
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
The silver with white is known as the Albino in Big Block world. I guess for a 792xx it'd be the same. From my knowledge and research, it is the rarest dial (outside of the Monte Carlo variants of the Big Block).

https://www.revolution.watch/tudor-big-block/

Oh, and wish I kept all my Big Blocks to sell today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Block Collection.jpg (159.2 KB, 218 views)
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 06:09 AM   #15
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
The silver with white is known as the Albino in Big Block world. I guess for a 792xx it'd be the same. From my knowledge and research, it is the rarest dial (outside of the Monte Carlo variants of the Big Block).

https://www.revolution.watch/tudor-big-block/

Oh, and wish I kept all my Big Blocks to sell today.
Thanks very much for the link. Yeah, I bet you wish you kept those!! Beautiful collection.

Interesting, I have an "Albino." I said in my initial post I never saw one before and it immediately caught my eye. I was in the market and I knew I had to have it when I saw it. It wasn't like I was waffling back and forth debating like when I saw ones with other dial colors or Arabic numerals.
Old 6 February 2019, 06:28 AM   #16
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I had a BigBlock and only really wish I had it back because values went up. It's a beautiful watch but I had two issues: 1. I never used the chronograph function except every few months to make sure it still worked and, 2. I had issues with the stick hands and markers easily telling time at glance, just looked like a narrow, rectangular, mish-mash.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 06:44 AM   #17
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
So it sounds like the movement was just aesthetically upgraded from the Big Block and not functionally upgraded.
The 791xx (Big Block) has a 17 jewel, while the 792xx have the 25 jewel 7750 movement.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 06:50 AM   #18
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
The 791xx (Big Block) has a 17 jewel, while the 792xx have the 25 jewel 7750 movement.
dP
Gotcha, thanks.
Old 6 February 2019, 06:59 AM   #19
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Gotcha, thanks.
My pleasure.

Gotta love any thread that starts with ladies and germs.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 11:40 AM   #20
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
My pleasure.

Gotta love any thread that starts with ladies and germs.
dP
My 7th grade French teacher used to say that at the beginning of every class about 34 years ago. I've stolen his line and have used it since.

Another one I stole from him which I use almost daily and it never gets old is when people always start a sentence with "So" and then pause. At the pause, I say "Sew buttons." A little play on the word "so." It gets a laugh or a "you're an idiot" comment.

Also, when anyone ever asked to be excused to get a drink in my 7th grade French class, he would say "Who are you, Gunga Din?"

It took a number of years before the Internet was available where I could look it up. It was a poem where Gunga Din was a water bearer in British colonial India for British soldiers.

But, I digress.
Old 7 February 2019, 02:18 AM   #21
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks very much for the link. Yeah, I bet you wish you kept those!! Beautiful collection.

Interesting, I have an "Albino." I said in my initial post I never saw one before and it immediately caught my eye. I was in the market and I knew I had to have it when I saw it. It wasn't like I was waffling back and forth debating like when I saw ones with other dial colors or Arabic numerals.
The Albino is the only Big Block I kept. I think I made the right choice. It's nice and unpolished with a blemish and crack-free Bakelite insert (every other 79160 I owned had insert issues), and I don't wear it much. Whenever I do, I can't ever imagine parting with it. In fact, I'm looking for matching 79170 and 79180, but doubt I'll ever get there with today's prices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170515_180330.resized.jpg (159.7 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 20171010_153742_resized.jpg (215.4 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 20180105_081816.resized.jpg (230.0 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 20180813_132211.jpg (108.5 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 20180813_132433.jpg (111.1 KB, 169 views)
Old 7 February 2019, 02:34 AM   #22
enginerd
"TRF" Member

What's strange is when you see one of your old flings owned by someone else.

Note the cracks at 65 and 400 and the missing lume at 11 o'clock.

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...amel-dial-7755
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140512_141814.2.jpg (169.9 KB, 169 views)
Old 8 February 2019, 10:28 AM   #23
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Finally got it! That's a smudge on the bezel at 12:00. Anything foreign looking is glare and reflection. I'll clean it up tonight.

A quick shot. Thanks for everyone's help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg tn_IMG_0005.jpeg (193.7 KB, 153 views)
Old 8 February 2019, 10:30 AM   #24
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What's strange is when you see one of your old flings owned by someone else.
Wow, small world!

Nice Albino Big Block
Old 9 February 2019, 02:55 AM   #25
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Finally got it! That's a smudge on the bezel at 12:00. Anything foreign looking is glare and reflection. I'll clean it up tonight.

A quick shot. Thanks for everyone's help.
Big congrats! I don't think you can lose with a Tudor chrono, even if you think you slightly overpaid today.
Old 9 February 2019, 03:08 AM   #26
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, small world!

Nice Albino Big Block
And now he's got one at $8,550! I paid in the high 2s not that long ago.

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...booklets-A1715
Old 9 February 2019, 03:12 AM   #27
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And now he's got one at $8,550! I paid in the high 2s not that long ago.

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...booklets-A1715
Zoinks! I know that site sells for quite a premium.

Is it normal to hear the rotor when you move the wrist? Still keeping perfect time but she sure is noisy!
Old 9 February 2019, 03:25 AM   #28
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Zoinks! I know that site sells for quite a premium.

Is it normal to hear the rotor when you move the wrist? Still keeping perfect time but she sure is noisy!
I think it's pretty normal. The 7750 is just loud. I've heard every 791x0 and 94xx0 watch I've ever owned, even one that was freshly serviced. I wonder if it's louder through sapphire vs. plexiglass?

I passed on a Monte Carlo 94200 not that long ago for low 7s (didn't like the beat up bezel and was sans bracelet)...sort of kicking myself now.
Old 9 February 2019, 03:53 AM   #29
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I passed on a Monte Carlo 94200 not that long ago for low 7s (didn't like the beat up bezel and was sans bracelet)...sort of kicking myself now.
Like my father always told me; there will be another one and you can't have them all. I know the feeling. I've always wanted a vintage blue Buckley dial Thunderbird and I lost out on one with box, papers, and Chronometer Certificate by $100.00.
Old 9 February 2019, 04:01 AM   #30
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Like my father always told me; there will be another one and you can't have them all.
My father said something similar ... but he wasn't referring to watches.