The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 February 2019, 01:32 AM   #31
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Not a fan. Don’t really like black metal cases and the movement and price combined with the lack of what would normally be a hefty discount on IWC. Easy pass.

SS case and nice in house movement might have intrigued me. Probably not though lol
Old 7 February 2019, 01:33 AM   #32
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Easy pass for me - not worth the premium.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 01:36 AM   #33
Speed
"TRF" Member

BTW, HODINKEE fan or not, check out the instagram feed for “Hodonkee”

Pretty hilarious (albeit juvenile) posts poking fun at HODINKEE of course and watches in general.

Today’s video post is a gas.

Sort of like “Shameonwrist”
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 01:37 AM   #34
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Not a fan. Don’t really like black metal cases and the movement and price combined with the lack of what would normally be a hefty discount on IWC. Easy pass.

SS case and nice in house movement might have intrigued me. Probably not though lol

I’m intrigued by the material - Ceramic/Titanium?

But a Mark VX homage with old hands / no date in steel would have been nice.
Old 7 February 2019, 02:07 AM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Pretty hilarious (albeit juvenile) posts poking fun at HODINKEE of course and watches in general.

Thanks for that
Old 7 February 2019, 03:01 AM   #36
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
i actually quite like it but $6,400? Better have an in-house movement at that price over a $80 Sellita
Exactly this!!!

The new 41 mm Ceramic Top Gun watch has the new inhouse movement and is $ 5.500,--.

The watch is pretty but it should be cheaper because of the Sellita base movement. Hard pass!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 04:06 AM   #37
wow445
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy Tuesday
Quote:

I did that this morning, went through all the posts just to find what the person posted. Pretty funny stuff
wow445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 06:19 AM   #38
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
Exactly this!!!

The new 41 mm Ceramic Top Gun watch has the new inhouse movement and is $ 5.500,--.

The watch is pretty but it should be cheaper because of the Sellita base movement. Hard pass!

Agree, kind of leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. Seems lazy on part of IWC/hodinkee and insulting to WIS, to whom the LE is targeted I assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 08:14 AM   #39
MCHI09
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
1 like the look and case material
agree on movement/price frustration, (believe same movement as The Rake version which was priced lower)

And alas it has appeared to sell out, at least the quant allocated to Hoodinkee
The market has spoken lol
MCHI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 08:16 AM   #40
AutoBay
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Odysseus
Quote:

You should be. I was at SIHH this year and got a chance to talk to the folks behind the material. Interestingly, "Ceratanium" is a proprietary alloy of IWC's - it starts life looking much like a block of titanium and takes a finish and polish as if it were metal. Contrary to popular belief, however, the ceramic portion f the Ceratanium isn't applied - it's chemically integrated into the alloy. When the polished/finished case is baked, it activates the ceramic elements, thus baking in the finish and, to use their words, "cermacizing" the case. Thus, the case is as as robust as titanium but as scratch resistant as ceramic. Regardless of where you fall on the value spectrum, you gotta admit that this is just cool.
AutoBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 09:06 AM   #41
jed11
"TRF" Member

I don't mind it...but at that price point, much prefer the Mark XVIII
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 09:10 AM   #42
psv
"TRF" Member

This is an advanced material - a mix of ceramic and titanium that is hardened together to create a case that is matte black through and through, and very resistant to scratches and wear. On top of that, hard to break and very light.

Creating a new 39 mm case in this material and doing it for a run of only 500 (initially, at least, I'm sure the case will be used in the future somehow) commands a premium price. If you don't appreciate advanced material, then you won't see the value/justification of the price difference, but plenty of other collectors do.

I'm not a big fan of these watch blog collaborations but I do think they got this one right, it looks like a great piece to me.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:14 AM   #43
Bashful
"TRF" Member

I've been contemplating a Mark for a while couldn't get the rake one...and really with the Rake one....the coolest part I think may very well be the band, which I worry also makes it impractical for wearing, as the band will break down, and it's kinda tough to replace 200 year old reindeer that was found in a sunken ship.
I think this Hodinkee one is wicked daily wearer, so I pulled the trigger.
Bashful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:41 AM   #44
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoBay View Post
You should be. I was at SIHH this year and got a chance to talk to the folks behind the material. Interestingly, "Ceratanium" is a proprietary alloy of IWC's - it starts life looking much like a block of titanium and takes a finish and polish as if it were metal. Contrary to popular belief, however, the ceramic portion f the Ceratanium isn't applied - it's chemically integrated into the alloy. When the polished/finished case is baked, it activates the ceramic elements, thus baking in the finish and, to use their words, "cermacizing" the case. Thus, the case is as as robust as titanium but as scratch resistant as ceramic. Regardless of where you fall on the value spectrum, you gotta admit that this is just cool.

Fascinating details. Thanks.

Still for me...fauxtina and that price (may be somewhat justified) does not work.

Truth be told, I’m also a bit put off by the choice in the Sellita-based movement as well.
Old 7 February 2019, 10:55 AM   #45
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There seem to be a lot of these IWC pilot limited editions now... Tribute to the XI, Laureus and now the Hodinkee.

I do like the Hodinkee version with no date, but it's getting a bit like the Speedmaster LEs.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 11:25 AM   #46
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
There seem to be a lot of these IWC pilot limited editions now... Tribute to the XI, Laureus and now the Hodinkee.

I do like the Hodinkee version with no date, but it's getting a bit like the Speedmaster LEs.

I do agree. The Speedmaster comparison is quite valid.

Call me boring, but I sure do like the plain looks of the IWC Mark XV - with the older hands the HODINKEE and Rake models both used - coincidence?
Old 7 February 2019, 03:37 PM   #47
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Actually, what we need is for IWC to release a normal edition of the Mark XVIII "Special Watch For Aviators", which is very similar to this Hodinkee LE, but only has the 3-6-9 dial. Much cleaner look.

https://www.watchprosite.com/horolog...77806.9385746/

Out of all the Hodinkee collaborations that have been issued, only this IWC and the Tag Heuer Carrera Skipper would interest me. The Skipper had a beautiful sunburst dial.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 06:28 PM   #48
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

$80 Selita movement, new material used in other IWC models, cheesy Hodinnkee connection, in-house & more complicated IWC models for less money....

I don't know who is playing the joke on whom. IWC on Hodinkee? Hodinkee on its consumers? Both?

IMHO, this is a brutal watch.

But, hey, there are a lot of watches out there for everyone.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 06:53 PM   #49
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The new Spitfire 39 mm Pilot’s watch is exacly what you are looking for, for $ 4.350,—

https://www.iwc.com/us/en/watch-coll...-spitfire.html
Old 7 February 2019, 10:46 PM   #50
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
Actually, what we need is for IWC to release a normal edition of the Mark XVIII "Special Watch For Aviators", which is very similar to this Hodinkee LE, but only has the 3-6-9 dial. Much cleaner look.

https://www.watchprosite.com/horolog...77806.9385746/

Out of all the Hodinkee collaborations that have been issued, only this IWC and the Tag Heuer Carrera Skipper would interest me. The Skipper had a beautiful sunburst dial.
I thought the Heuer and IWC collabs were probably Hodinkee's weakest. The Rake collabs for both those watches are better, imho.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 08:49 AM   #51
tvlaan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126719BLRO
Wore mine today - I've owned a bunch of different versions of the Mark series, and this is my favorite. The size is perfect, the dial is simply elegant and the case material is awesome. This is my first ceramic cased watch (i know, ceratanium...) but it is light and i really like the matte finish.

Whether you think it's worth the price is up to you, but I'm happy with the purchase.

tvlaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 09:59 AM   #52
psv
"TRF" Member

I got mine yesterday and returned it today. Alas, not for me.

I wonder when the Hodinkee thing will jump the shark? They cannot keep doing these collaborations with brands, venturing more and more into watch sales, and keep their independence and objectivity as journalists? (I know, they aren't really journalists...). The rise to power and taste-maker status has been phenomenal and one has to congratulate Ben & Co, but how far can it go? Is it possible that the market/community will sour on them and then having a Hodinkee cobranded watch becomes a liability?
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 11:05 AM   #53
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlaan View Post
Wore mine today - I've owned a bunch of different versions of the Mark series, and this is my favorite. The size is perfect, the dial is simply elegant and the case material is awesome. This is my first ceramic cased watch (i know, ceratanium...) but it is light and i really like the matte finish.

Whether you think it's worth the price is up to you, but I'm happy with the purchase.

Nice watch man
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 12:00 PM   #54
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlaan View Post

Looks great on the wrist. Not for me but that didn't mean I don't think it's a nice package. Enjoy it.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 04:20 AM   #55
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I don't like this Hodinkee/IWC watch at all, but then I have this old beater.

rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 06:07 AM   #56
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
The new Spitfire 39 mm Pilot’s watch is exacly what you are looking for, for $ 4.350,—

https://www.iwc.com/us/en/watch-coll...-spitfire.html
Thanks that one does tick a lot of boxes
Old 10 February 2019, 06:30 AM   #57
visualplane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Give me a ceratanium black pilot at 41mm with the mini complications like the top gun and I can retire.
visualplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 06:39 AM   #58
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks that one does tick a lot of boxes
I have one on order, too

And that $ 21 strap should look much better than the standard Nato that it comes with it

Old 10 February 2019, 07:35 AM   #59
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I don't like this Hodinkee/IWC watch at all, but then I have this old beater.
I am ok with the looks of the Hodinkee/IWC watch but would need a date for my purposes and consider the co-branding w Hodinkee a minus rather than a plus. I have been put off by the inflation of both limited IWC editions and IWC pilot watches in general long before this one hit the scene.

Those were the days when you got a Mark XII or Mark XV and all you had to decide was strap, bracelet, or both. Will certainly beat my 2001 Mark XV some more...
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 11:46 AM   #60
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

After seeing the new IWC SIHH models + Rake & Hodinkee editions -- I went out & bought a Mark XV. The bronze spitfire chrono looks nice but not sure how that patina will work itself out.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote