The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 February 2019, 11:37 PM   #1
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Help With Steel-Gray-Silver-Rhodium Dial-116519

Popped into local Rolex store looking for a Datejust for my daughter's high school graduation gift. When the salesman reached his arm into the case I noticed a Daytona Oysterflex on his wrist. It immediately caught my eye and I said wow that's a nice looking watch. He said it's the Rhodium Dial. So I asked if I could try one on and he said these are really not available but he would put me on a list. So I said OK. So I'm on the list for white gold oysterflex with Rhodium dial.

When I look online I don't see anything on the Rhodium dial but I do see Steel, Gray and Silver dials. After checking Rolex website and seeing only steel listed. Am I correct to assume that Steel, Silver & Gray dials are all the same?

Also is Rhodium dial anything special or rare? I see it's not even listed by Rolex. I like the watch but I see 116519's do not command any premiums and in fact I think you can get a discount on Chrono for BNIB. So I'm debating whether to take the watch, if I get the call. Which by the way he said you would have to take it immediately and no discount!

As an aside. This gentleman was extremely pleasant and knowledgeable to deal with. Unlike my other experience at Rolex. We started talking about the SS issue and this is what he said and I have no way of knowing how accurate or inaccurate his statements are. Just repeating what I was told.

Rolex is reducing the number of ADs dramatically going from some 1200 to 700 now on their way down to 500. That seemed very low to me. I'm thinking he's referring to the US only. Rolex has cut production accordingly, his figure was by like 50%. That sounded very high to me. They want the Grey market dried up asap so that Rolex watches are bought at Rolex ADs. They also don't what to be in an overstocked situation like they were some years ago and he mentioned like Cartier was when they had to buy back 10s of millions of dollars worth of unsold stock.

I also found it interesting he had on a 29K watch! Commissions must be very good at ADs. Good for him and thanks for any input. Much appreciated.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 07:32 AM   #2
dan993
"TRF" Member

I assume you saw the Steel dial WG Ceramic Daytona.
dan993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 07:39 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Cutting production by 50% doesn't seem consistent with drying up the grey market ... but whatever. I know this has probably been beaten to death already.
Old 12 February 2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan993 View Post
I assume you saw the Steel dial WG Ceramic Daytona.
Yes I now realize that listed watches as steel, silver or gray dials are all the same and are officially called steel by rolex. But salesman had same watch with Rhodium dial which is not listed and cannot be ordered. Found that very interesting. Looks similar to steel dial but is definitely a different dial.
Old 12 February 2019, 02:31 PM   #5
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Cutting production by 50% doesn't seem consistent with drying up the grey market ... but whatever. I know this has probably been beaten to death already.
Well, reducing Dealer stock makes it harder for Dealers to sell their stock to the Greys or at the very least reduces motivation to do so. If Dealers are selling everything they get before they get it and at full list price. No need for the Greys. Makes sense to me, just thought 50% reduction was aggressive. Same with reduction in number of ADs.

Less ADs, less watches but selling at full prices and more than likely at higher prices to come equals steady and most likely rising profits.