The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 February 2013, 11:02 PM   #61
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
I wouldn't trade 5 to 6 pieces just for one patek... I would rather pain it out by saving
Yes, therein lies my issue as much as I would love to own and strap on a 5711, I think the giveup is too much for me.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2013, 12:47 AM   #62
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
If you trade that many for the PP, you're probably going to lose some value. IMO I'd list all my watches, favorite to least, and start selling them off in the reverse order. Stop when you can no longer bear to be separated from a watch. Then add cash and get your PP.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2013, 01:13 AM   #63
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Good advice, thanks. I have already gone through one flipping phase. I do love the watches I own and was careful when I chose them.

I simply look at the number of pieces I own and even with a good rotation some of them are not getting the wrist time they deserve. I wear all of them, that is the reason for the hesitation. As it is I would have to trade/sell 5 or 6 of my pieces for a 5711. It is a tough decision for me to make.

My other quandry is that I have also been considering trading my 14060 to a trusted seller for a new 114060 with the new bracelet and ceramic bezel. If I do this it removes a piece to trade plus cash towards a Patek. Either way the 14060 needs to be part of the deal.

Perhaps I should just continue to save for a Patek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
I wouldn't trade 5 to 6 pieces just for one patek... I would rather pain it out by saving

i would trade two (that i just didn't wear that much, even though i really liked them) + cash

Old 23 February 2013, 02:01 AM   #64
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Good advice, thanks. I have already gone through one flipping phase. I do love the watches I own and was careful when I chose them.

I simply look at the number of pieces I own and even with a good rotation some of them are not getting the wrist time they deserve. I wear all of them, that is the reason for the hesitation. As it is I would have to trade/sell 5 or 6 of my pieces for a 5711. It is a tough decision for me to make.

My other quandry is that I have also been considering trading my 14060 to a trusted seller for a new 114060 with the new bracelet and ceramic bezel. If I do this it removes a piece to trade plus cash towards a Patek. Either way the 14060 needs to be part of the deal.

Perhaps I should just continue to save for a Patek.
I would never recomend trading one that you still love. Never ever trade if your going to have regrets.

Saving will take longer, but it will also be more rewarding.

Good luck with your decision. I look forward to seeing your new watch whenever that may be.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2013, 11:42 PM   #65
brady
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes please
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
If you trade that many for the PP, you're probably going to lose some value. IMO I'd list all my watches, favorite to least, and start selling them off in the reverse order. Stop when you can no longer bear to be separated from a watch. Then add cash and get your PP.
Great advice in my opinion - if a PP is something you are serious about. If you believe you may regret that decision, saving the cash without selling some or all of your collection may be a better route.

One other thing to think about on the trade, I traded my first Rolex (Exp 2) many years ago for a 240z. I ended up really missing that watch and regretted selling it. Luckily when the time was right financially my good friend was completely willing to sell it back to me. Maybe it is just a strange quirk of mine but I wouldn't have been satisfied with a different Exp 2. I ended up giving it to my wife and feel a lot better having it back in our house. To make a long story short (sorry I can get winded) if one of those watches is your first you may want to consider holding on to it and making up the difference in cash.

Luckily PP isn't going anywhere so it's not like you need to make this decision in haste. Your Rolex heavy collection is probably appreciating in value at the speed or close to PP so a delay in the decison to ensure you're making the right one for YOU shouldn't hurt the pocketbook much.

Good luck in your pondering.
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2013, 12:10 AM   #66
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
Great Post!

Thanks for the great review and photos... well done mate!

My two say hello...

Old 24 February 2013, 12:14 AM   #67
brady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnHand View Post
Great Post!

Thanks for the great review and photos... well done mate!

My two say hello...

Nice RG Aqua! How does that one wear compared to the SS model? Does the gold weight change it up some?
Old 5 March 2013, 12:26 AM   #68
jasonwest
Banned

5167 all the way
a 5711 with a rubber strap like the 5167 now that would make for a tough call.
jasonwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2013, 09:12 AM   #69
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Well I tried on the blue dial 5711 today and WOW! I am hooked.

Immediately came home and gathered up my boxes so I can start taking pictures of pieces to put up for sale. Thanks for all the advice, I may start with a few and see how it goes. Given how long it might take me to sell my watches, I see where I am in a few months.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 17 March 2013, 09:14 AM   #70
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Well I tried on the blue dial 5711 today and WOW! I am hooked.

Immediately came home and gathered up my boxes so I can start taking pictures of pieces to put up for sale. Thanks for all the advice, I may start with a few and see how it goes. Given how long it might take me to sell my watches, I see where I am in a few months.
Good luck Brian, and I hope everything works out for you real soon.

Cheers,

Dan

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2013, 10:33 AM   #71
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I tried on the blue dial 5711 today and WOW!
Good stuff brian! Looking forward to the incoming!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 17 March 2013, 01:45 PM   #72
LKK
"TRF" Member

Soon to be Owner

Thanks for the great review... You had just help me to put another tick to the Aquanuat.

If everything goes smoothly, it should be on my wrist sometime apr-13

Cheers,
KK
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2013, 03:57 AM   #73
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Good stuff brian! Looking forward to the incoming!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks but I am a long way from that, need to sell and raise funds first, no guarantee I will succeed
Old 24 April 2013, 09:58 PM   #74
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Just an update to the thread, still stalking the 5711.

I have two sold and I am halfway to my funding goal, need to see which other one I can put on the block and then convince the wife to let me spend cash for the rest.

I'll keep everyone posted
Old 24 April 2013, 10:11 PM   #75
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just an update to the thread, still stalking the 5711.

I have two sold and I am halfway to my funding goal, need to see which other one I can put on the block and then convince the wife to let me spend cash for the rest.

I'll keep everyone posted
great work brian

as for chopping, i'd move those breitlings so fast the steel would melt
Old 24 April 2013, 10:48 PM   #76
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
great work brian

as for chopping, i'd move those breitlings so fast the steel would melt

Thanks, one is sold, not sure about the other yet

Need to ponder my next choice(s)
Old 8 May 2013, 09:29 PM   #77
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Update:

With the consent of my lovely wife and my three pieces sold, I now have the funds for my 5711!

Now I just need to wrap my head around spending the price for a stainless steel watch

It is tempting to think about what I could buy for that price but I am trying to stay focused and remember by goal of reducing my collection, upgrading the quality and having a better rotation to wear.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress
Old 9 May 2013, 12:19 AM   #78
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
Besh , just do it.. You have the money but most important you have the wife's blessings.
When I was saving up for my patek I saved up most the money then got a deal I could not refuse and was able to pay the balance later so I did not have all the money saved or my wife's blessings .. I took my wife to fendi and bought her a purse for 1k and as I was paying for the Purse I told her that I am picking up a new watch this week and she doesn't even remember me telling her. When she finally noticed the watch she let me hear it.. If she knew how much it cost then that would be a whole different story and I would be homeless..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2013, 03:49 AM   #79
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
Besh , just do it.. You have the money but most important you have the wife's blessings.
When I was saving up for my patek I saved up most the money then got a deal I could not refuse and was able to pay the balance later so I did not have all the money saved or my wife's blessings .. I took my wife to fendi and bought her a purse for 1k and as I was paying for the Purse I told her that I am picking up a new watch this week and she doesn't even remember me telling her. When she finally noticed the watch she let me hear it.. If she knew how much it cost then that would be a whole different story and I would be homeless..
Thanks

There is no bribing my wife and she knows the cost because she is an accountant and manages everything. Try as she can she does not understand the WIS obsession. She is happy that I am happy when the dollars make sense. In this case I sold three and raised some other cash.

My wife is very practical, I would love to see her wearing a nice Rolex but she is not interested. She wants very little and is very happy. I like to joke that I am the luckiest man in the world in more ways than just this one!
Old 9 May 2013, 11:12 AM   #80
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
Quote:
Thanks

There is no bribing my wife and she knows the cost because she is an accountant and manages everything. Try as she can she does not understand the WIS obsession. She is happy that I am happy when the dollars make sense. In this case I sold three and raised some other cash.

My wife is very practical, I would love to see her wearing a nice Rolex but she is not interested. She wants very little and is very happy. I like to joke that I am the luckiest man in the world in more ways than just this one!
If she is practical then go on chrono24 and see what they are selling for used..
You can get almost all your money back if you ever needed to sell.. I stopped at a ad today and they had a white face and they actually gave me a decent price for a Ad but did not have a blue face and was not getting one until fall so if you want a white face let me know and I will hook u up with the guy I dealt with..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 07:10 PM   #81
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Brian, that's a good wife to have!

Looking forward to the incoming. speak to DavidSW. he usually has a few in stock and his prices are good / quality of goods good
Old 13 May 2013, 07:30 PM   #82
shnxx
"TRF" Member

I really want the 5711.
shnxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2013, 09:59 PM   #83
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Brian, that's a good wife to have!

Looking forward to the incoming. speak to DavidSW. he usually has a few in stock and his prices are good / quality of goods good
Thanks, yes she is a keeper!

I have my sights set on the 5711, I have an AD that I work with and will try to get one there. If that does not work, then David will be my first call.

It is funny, now that I have money in my pocket I want to shop around a bit. I do not think that I will change my mind and find something else but I need to be sure of that.
Old 19 June 2014, 04:32 AM   #84
cinch
"TRF" Member

So for opening up an old thread but I'm thinking about adding a 5711 to my 5146 and 5167.
Puffy- did you get your 5711 from DavidSW?
cinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2014, 06:40 AM   #85
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Thanks for the great pics Anders - love all three and just got my 5167A a while back....next is the 5711!
brettpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 12:54 AM   #86
cinch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpaul View Post
Thanks for the great pics Anders - love all three and just got my 5167A a while back....next is the 5711!
Are you going for both then?
cinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 12:07 PM   #87
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
What a great review. I have finally narrowed it down to 5164, 5167 and 5711 and it seems like there is no bad choice here. However, 5167 and 5711 would seem to be the ultimate combination, price adjusted.

Thank you again!

Fred
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 02:42 PM   #88
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
What a great review. I have finally narrowed it down to 5164, 5167 and 5711 and it seems like there is no bad choice here. However, 5167 and 5711 would seem to be the ultimate combination, price adjusted.

Thank you again!

Fred

You could try them on, or just buy "blind" based on which pictures you like. Any one of those three will knock your socks off.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2014, 08:39 PM   #89
brady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post

Thank you again!

Fred
I've had a 5167 for years and really enjoy it. I still pine for a 5711 but at the time when I was choosing between the two, I felt that the 5167/1a felt more solid. I think it had a lot to do w/ the bracelet clasp and the lack of exposed screws in the case. That was about 5 or so years ago and during that time I have come close to trading it multiple times but I kind of like the "incognitoness" of the 5167. While not many people even know what a Patek is, even less people know about the Aquanaut vs the Nautilus. In that time I picked up an AP 15300 w/ blue face so I think that kind of held me off too. Some day I'll pick up the composite strap for it.

You won't be disappointed with any of the 3 choices you're looking at. Patek sport watches are in a league of their own. I love my AP RO but to me it's clearly a more trendy watch based on the numerous fakes I see out there. Good luck with your decision!
Old 30 September 2014, 11:20 PM   #90
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Point well taken gentlemen and thank you for the insights. Well, I tried one on and decided to buy the other one "blind" and never tried on in person.

Here goes the tough part a la "the wait"!!
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5167 , 5711 , comparison